Author Topic:  whispering like it's a secret only to condemn the one who hears it [lucas]  (Read 126 times)

• Offline Angharad Hughes
    • there's a she-wolf in the closet.
    • Lowri
    • Heterosexual
    • 988 Posts
    • Trophy Closet
      "This driver was sorted into the loyal house of Hufflepuff during Anniversary 2017" ~ Hufflepuff placed 3rd in the House Cup with 2138 points. For characters who were members of Dumbledore's Army Pureblood Character Working Class Family Member Wales National Team Fan Caerphilly Catapults Fan
    It was snowing softly in Hogsmeade village; little flurries were whirling around in the cold breeze that was ripping up and down the high street. Harri had chosen Hogsmeade as a meeting point for a very particular reason: she was hoping it would remind Lucas of how they had been in school. Remind him that they hadn’t changed, really. They were still the same people – just a little older, and a little wiser.

She’d written to him shortly after she’d gotten back from Australia, just asking if he wanted to meet for lunch or a coffee. She didn’t know whether he was busy, or if he had a girlfriend, or anything about him really, anymore. When they’d last bumped into one another in Diagon Alley it had been summer, half a year ago and what felt like half a world away. They hadn’t really gleamed much from the impromptu catch-up then, but she’d been in a bit of a slump, caught off guard and unprepared. Not this time.

Angharad wanted to tell Lucas everything before he found out from someone else. Now that she was working in Diagon Alley there was a chance they’d bump into each other more often, and though George and Ron had promised not to tell anyone about her ‘illness’, there was always the chance that they’d let something slip, or that someone else would work it out. Harri had been isolated from the general Wizarding population for so long, it was bound to raise alarm bells to anyone with half a brain.

She should have told Luke from the start, Harri realised now, but she’d been terrified that he would hate her. Hate what she had become. She still did, but there was nothing she could do about it. She wouldn’t let it beat her, she’d decided – with a little encouragement from the male members of her family, both immediate and extended.

Now that she had a job, and she’d been somewhere exciting, it seemed the perfect time to meet with Luke again. She could actually tell him what she’d been up to, and gently lead him into the reveal. They hadn’t quite settled on what they were going to do or where – Lucas’ reply had been vague and Harri had been reluctant to suggest Madam Puddifoot's just in case he got the wrong end of the stick. The food would be lighter at Puddifoot's, more like cake and coffee, and therefore opportune for a quick getaway if things turned sour, but in this weather the cosy interior of The Three Broomsticks was sounding preferable – and she hadn't had a butterbeer in ages. She was stood outside the pub, as agreed, wrapped in a thick camel-coloured coat, knitted bobble hat, and tartan scarf.

@Lucas Benett
    t h e   s a i n t s   c a n ' t   h e l p   m e   n o w ,   t h e   r o p e s   h a v e   b e e n   u n b o u n d

i   h u n t   f o r   y o u   w i t h   b l o o d y   f e e t   a c r o s s   t h e   h a l l o w ' d   g r o u n d

• Offline Lucas Benett
    • "Mr. Darcy, I do believe you've poked me on Facebook!"
    • 2012 Posts
    • Trophy Closet
      This member reached the Pebble level before July 2015!
    He wasn't sure he was going to turn up.

Bumping into her in the summer had been exhilarating. Lucas remembered just how good Angharad made him feel when he was around her, like he was invincible. She had this strange sunny aura around her, like she was radiating happiness. It sideswiped him somewhat, shunting him back several years to the unsure teenager that had been completely head over heels for her.

The warmth drained away, like water down a plug hole as he remembered that she'd been the one to call time on their relationship. He'd been so stunned and so hurt that he'd just let her go, despite wanting nothing more than to fight for her. It was all water under the bridge now, of course, but a very small part of him still blamed her, like she was the reason he'd been unable to get a steady girlfriend, like she was still holding his heart too tightly.

Then  he realised that standing her up would be a pretty shitty thing to do so he'd written her a response, shrugged his navy pea coat on and headed up to Scotland.

Harri was little, tiny even, but she still had so much power over him. The saying was "absence made the heart grow fonder" but the updated version should be "absence makes the mind wander". Because it did. Often, when it came to her. He was to blame, too. He should have kept in touch, they were friends first and foremost before they ever became lovers. She heard she had a job now and he was pleased and keen to see how she was settling in.

The small snow-laden town was exactly the same as he remembered it and he walked past Madam Puddifoot's with his eyes on his brogues, never once peeking into the sugar sweet happiness inside because it made his insides hurt. Seeing her familiar figure outside the pub, Luke broke into a gentle jog and cracked a smile. "You must be freezing," he gently admonished her, placing a kiss on her cheek in greeting before opening the door and ushering her inside.

Luke had picked over their last conversation in minute detail, often in the dead of night. Angharas hadn't mentioned a boyfriend but then again, he hadn't asked. The most peculiar thing he remembered was the reaction she had to when he mentioned a full moon party in passing. Horror and fear. She looked as though her heart had fallen out of her arse. He'd put it down to maybe being afraid of the dark or something.

The warm air and chatter hit him instantly as he was quick to shrug out of his coat and drape it across the back of a chair. The table was small and away from the door, partly to keep warm but mostly because their conversations would go unnoticed. Lucas offered her a broad smile, his anxiety softening around the edges like it was so prone to doing when he was around her. "Thanks for the note," he said casually as he reached up a large hand and ruffled it through his hair, shedding the snowflakes.

He couldn't even blame it on him being busy because he hadn't. Christmas was sort of a non-issue. He'd spent it at his grandparents' home, without his mother and his wayward siblings and it had been really nice. Lucas hadn't had any new assignments as of late, except the promise of when the weather warmed up. She had a bit of a tan, he'd noticed. The Welsh paleness of her face was somewhat lessened, she looked healthy, happy.

There was an air of awkwardness that settled over the pair and Lucas was not oblivious. It felt painful to know the young woman sitting across from him knew all of his deepest secrets and his darkest fears and there she sat, feeling like she was miles away. The urge to lean across the table and kiss her, just for old time's sake, was overwhelming. "Drink?" He asked suddenly, moving to stand.

then you float into the hallway, like some neon silhouette
    i'm slowly losing oxygen and my hands are soaking wet.

• Offline Angharad Hughes
    • there's a she-wolf in the closet.
    • Lowri
    • Heterosexual
    • 988 Posts
    • Trophy Closet
      "This driver was sorted into the loyal house of Hufflepuff during Anniversary 2017" ~ Hufflepuff placed 3rd in the House Cup with 2138 points. For characters who were members of Dumbledore's Army Pureblood Character Working Class Family Member Wales National Team Fan Caerphilly Catapults Fan
    As her warm brown eyes locked onto Lucas’ approaching figure Harri’s stomach did a somersault. She wasn’t sure if it was from happiness, or nervousness, or something else. Luke entered her little bubble of personal space with ease, as if nothing had ever changed between them, and she found herself melting into his touch, however fleeting. “I’m alright,” she replied softly with a smile, not wanting to start their interaction with a negative response.

The Three Broomsticks was exactly how she remembered it. Having led the way in, Angharad chose a table in the corner, away from the hustle and bustle of the bar and less likely to be overheard by other patrons. She pulled her hat and scarf off and slipped out of her coat, revealing her healthier-looking frame underneath, then sat silently.  The blonde looked up at him with soft surprise at his words, her eyes watching the way his hands ran through his thick, dark hair. “I— you’re welcome.” She paused for a moment, trying to figure out how to continue without sounding like she was taking a dig at him. “We haven’t had a chance to, catch up for a while.”

“I—“ Angharad had started to make a confession of longing when he spoke at the same time, cutting across her with his one-word question. The blonde nodded hastily, “Yes, please – a butterbeer would be... perfect.”

Lucas stood and went off to the bar to order their drinks, leaving Harri to her own devices for a minute or two. Suddenly this all seemed a lot less simple than it had when it had just been a plan, an idea in her head. Now it was real. She had to tell him, she couldn’t leave today without Luke knowing everything – or as much as he would sit and listen to. He seemed in an amiable mood, but now the former Hufflepuff was wondering if she shouldn’t have picked somewhere more private to meet. Somewhere where, if he reacted poorly, there wouldn’t be onlookers to witness it.

Before she had a chance to really work herself into a panic attack, Lucas was back and bearing their drinks. She smiled politely and took her butterbeer, lifting it and having a sip before setting it back on the table. “Thank you. I haven’t had one of these in... months.” She licked her lips, flicking her eyes up to meet his. Her fingers traced a shape over the knot in the tabletop. “How have you been? Still writing for the travel magazine?”
    t h e   s a i n t s   c a n ' t   h e l p   m e   n o w ,   t h e   r o p e s   h a v e   b e e n   u n b o u n d

i   h u n t   f o r   y o u   w i t h   b l o o d y   f e e t   a c r o s s   t h e   h a l l o w ' d   g r o u n d

Tags: