Author Topic:  that place on memory lane you liked still looks the same [honey]  (Read 597 times)

• Offline Honey Bea Flume
  • Re: that place on memory lane you liked still looks the same [honey]
    « Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 06:11:10 AM »
    “‘Probably’,” she mused. “I can work with ‘probably’.” Honey took another swallow of her drink in response to his next comment, one eyebrow arched as she held his gaze over the rim of her glass. Couple more glasses of whisky and she could turn that ‘probably’ into ‘now’ with no problem; she paused and pulled the glass away from her lips, setting it on the counter.

But her smirk returned as he confirmed her ‘back home’ question. “America?” What a downgrade. Honey was always curious what sort of woman people moved onto after her, but she had never broken someone that much. “She sounds lovely,” she said, maybe a little too unconvincingly, with a nod and another small sip. She didn’t care, and she knew she didn’t, but usually at this point they would be trying to make her feel jealous with some unnecessary detail. “Sounds serious,” she added, almost as an afterthought. If he could do it, she certainly could, too.

She should up straight as he considered her offer. “I’m sure.” She paused to add a shrug, “It’s my job.” She grabbed her glass and took a couple steps backwards, her gaze still affixed to Charlie, before turning around and taking the last couple of steps into the kitchen. There were trays of chocolates cooling and setting, cakes waiting to be iced and packaged, and completed and boxed orders waiting to be sent. There was a lot going on, but she knew where everything was, where she had left off with each batch, and what thing needed to be done next.

Ideally, she should finish the cauldron cakes and pumpkin pasties she needed for the train in a couple days, but finding out more details by way of chocolate sounded like a much better use of her time. She cleared a small area of counterspace next to a tray of empty dark chocolate truffle halves and set her (newly) empty glass down. “You said mango and chile?” She took a sideways glance to double check the order before rummaging through a shelf for a couple different chile powders.

“She has, er, interesting tastes,” she said with a smirk, only somewhat talking about the sweets.

l  e  t     m  e     b  e     y  o  u  r     r  u  l  e  r  ,     y  o  u     c  a  n     c  a  l  l     m  e     q  u  e  e  n    b  e  a

• Offline Charlie Baker
    • I'm your man on the moon
    • laura
    • Heterosexual
    • 258 Posts
    • Trophy Closet
      Christine's Diamond FPP 2018 Award Christine's Diamond FPP 2018 Award "This driver was sorted into the ambitious house of Slytherin during Anniversary 2017" ~ Slytherin placed 2nd during the House Cup with 2423 points. Muggleborn Character
    Re: that place on memory lane you liked still looks the same [honey]
    « Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 11:49:06 PM »
    “Yeah, California.” He’d said it almost automatically, and immediately wished he had a better ability to keep his mouth shut before he gave too much away. He glanced down at the whisky in his hand and frowned at it, feeling the need to blame something for his loose tongue. Really, he hadn’t told her anything important. Yet. It was just, well, Kate wasn’t a secret, but he liked to keep their relationship private. Especially given how it had all started. Especially when the third piece of the puzzle was standing right in front of him.

“Lovely?” He repeated, brow raised inquisitively. Something was awry, but he couldn’t let it alone. Was she jealous and trying to hide it? However small the possibility, he wanted her to be jealous. “I haven’t told you enough for you to come to that conclusion.” He continued with a smirk. She was shutting him down, or so he thought. “Maybe.” He said simply as he took another drink, not wanting to sound unavailable despite the fact that he definitely should be.

“Mm.” Charlie watched Honey start to move away, then grabbed the bottle of whisky in one hand, his other still holding his glass, and followed her into the kitchen. It smelled amazing – always had. His eyes greedily looked around the room before finding their way back to the redhead. He came up alongside her, his back to the counter as he rested against it. “Yeah, or just. Anything like that.” He licked his lips slowly, meeting her gaze briefly before she started pulling out ingredients.

He topped up his own glass before reaching over her to pour into hers without waiting to see if she wanted more, crowding her space intentionally.  “Don’t we all?” He replied, mirroring her expression and gazing at her a little intently as he took another sip.

t h e r e ' s   a   s e  t   o f   r i c k e t y   s t a i r s   i n   b e t w e e n   m y   h e a r t   a n d   m y   h e a d

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 02:55:09 AM »
    She shrugged off his smirk and his refusal to accept her poorly-formed compliment. “Maybe,” she repeated. She didn’t know how she should feel about it, but knew that she probably shouldn’t be feeling relieved -- which she was, surprisingly slow. This was definitely the time to bring Will into the conversation, yet still the idea to invite Charlie further into her home seemed like a better choice.

“Gotcha.” She didn’t have a lot of options by way of chile powders, but she grabbed what she had from the shelf and set the out on the counter. She’d just make a ganache and mix them in -- it couldn’t be too complicated considering the whisky and her preference for working alone. Custom gift or not, it was still a Honeydukes product and it had to be as perfect as something she would sell.

Honey glanced down as he poured her a refill, more than she had been previously pouring for herself. She smirked rather than thank him; she didn’t fail to notice that he was taking advantage of the lack of counter between them now. “Do we?” She held his gaze for a few seconds before dropping it to pick up her glass. She held herself back from pushing him any further on the question. Clearly his tastes weren’t too awful. California girl aside, Charlie had dated Honey and she had certainly thought pretty highly of his choices then.

She took a sizeable sip of her drink, holding on to her glass as she pulled a few things toward her: glass bowl, the spices, and the tray of truffle halves. She had made the chocolate fresh that morning and rather than make a whole new batch, she was just going to melt down a few for the filling. She didn’t need Charlie sticking around for how long fresh chocolate would take. Taking another gulp, Honey set her glass aside, leaning towards Charlie. She paused for the briefest of seconds before reaching behind him and grabbing a spoon off the counter.

Straightening up, Honey moved a few of the truffle halves into the bowl with her wand. She set the chocolate to melt with another swish, and with one more set the spoon to stir it all slowly. She normally put more effort into this, but this seemed to be the proper amount of effort for the given situation.

Honey picked up her glass and turned to lean back against the counter, mimicking Charlie’s posture. “You can turn on the radio if you want,” she tilted her head toward the opposite corner where the set was sitting.

l  e  t     m  e     b  e     y  o  u  r     r  u  l  e  r  ,     y  o  u     c  a  n     c  a  l  l     m  e     q  u  e  e  n    b  e  a

• Offline Charlie Baker
    • laura
    • Heterosexual
    • 258 Posts
    • Trophy Closet
      Christine's Diamond FPP 2018 Award Christine's Diamond FPP 2018 Award "This driver was sorted into the ambitious house of Slytherin during Anniversary 2017" ~ Slytherin placed 2nd during the House Cup with 2423 points. Muggleborn Character
    « Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 02:17:40 AM »
    Charlie examined Honey’s reaction to him carefully, meeting her gaze and wondering what was going on behind her soft brown eyes. It was amazing how you could feel like you knew someone so well, and be proven so wrong. Well, it wasn’t that he’d been wrong about Honey, just that he had realised their relationship had been founded on a physical attraction and not a lot else. They got on, for sure. They had a similar sense of humour and enough mutual interests to not clash, but the only time they’d done something that remotely resembled a real date had been for his birthday. Everything else had just been… drinking and what came either directly before or after that. He didn’t regret it. It had been good, worked for the both of them (he assumed). But they never really talked. Not about anything important, anyway.

He let her question hang unanswered, simply taking a sip of his drink instead.

As Honey leaned in towards him, Charlie’s breath caught in his chest – and then she pulled back with a wooden spoon in hand. Tease.

He watched her work, momentarily distracted by the methodology behind her creations, but as he habitually took another drink of his whisky he found his eyes drawn back up to her face. She was a lot less intimidating when she was focused on something else.

Honey moved closer and Charlie didn’t turn away, keeping his tawny gaze trained on her features as the alcohol started affecting him slightly. “The radio?” He repeated dumbly, belatedly following her nod to the corner. Admittedly, it might make the situation feel less clinical. For someone who lived and breathed music the lack of background noise was noticeable, so he wasn’t averse to changing that. Soften the atmosphere and lessen the tightly-wound tension that seemed to be in the air.

The brunette pushed off from the counter gently and moved across the room to turn it on, glass in hand, taking a second to remind himself how to work a wizarding radio before it burst into life. His long fingers adjusted one of the dials to reduce the interference before he turned back to face her, resting back and crossing his legs at the ankles as he took another sip. “Hoping to hear your song?” He smirked.

t h e r e ' s   a   s e  t   o f   r i c k e t y   s t a i r s   i n   b e t w e e n   m y   h e a r t   a n d   m y   h e a d

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 01:07:53 AM »
    “The radio,” she confirmed, watching his slow realization with a smirk. She watched him cross the room before she pushed off the counter herself, busying herself again with the chocolate. Summoning a small carafe of cream, she warmed it with her wand before adding it to the bowl of melted chocolate, a little bit at a time. The spoon was still stirring itself, and Honey spared a glance in Charlie’s direction as the radio was turned on. She smirked, looking him up, down, and up again. He was certainly easier to deal with at a distance.

Less fun, though.

She paid attention to the ever-forming ganache instead of answering his question immediately. After a few seconds of making sure everything was heading in the right direction, she turned back to face him, one eyebrow raised. “If I recall, you said there may be a private show.” She shrugged. “I’ll just hold out for that, I suppose.” She held his gaze as she took another sip of her drink, but she didn’t let it linger for too long. Setting her glass down, Honey hoisted herself up onto the counter, quickly finding her glass again to take another sip.

Her gaze moved around the room, landing on the few different projects she had going on in the kitchen. “Besides,” she paused to sip at her drink, still looking around at things that weren’t Charlie, “I’m sure the songs about your actual girlfriend get more airtime.” She glanced back at him for a few seconds before looking down at the bowl next to her, trying to gauge how much longer the ganache would take. She probably didn’t need to spend too much quality time with an ex over a bottle of Scotch. Apparently, those sort of situations didn’t end well for her.

“You touring soon?”

• Offline Charlie Baker
    • laura
    • Heterosexual
    • 258 Posts
    • Trophy Closet
    « Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 03:45:06 AM »
    From his position across the room, Charlie’s dark eyes gave Honey another once-over before being drawn to the self-stirring spoon. Never in a million years would Charlie have thought he’d be back here, politely chatting to his ex-girlfriend whilst she made custom chocolates for his current girlfriend.

Finally Honey spoke, and broke him out of his reverie. He quickly adopted a lopsided grin, “If you’re really that interested.” His gaze met hers and he held it, his expression softening into something more serious, continuing to stare at her after she looked away.

“Well, they might, if we release any.” He replied honestly. He did feel slightly guilty about the fact that the two songs so far from this album were about an ex-girlfriend and a cover of another artist’s, respectively, and that the next planned single was about another woman. Another woman that he was still sleeping with on and off behind Kate’s back. But, Honey didn’t need to know that. Nobody did. “The one from last year was...” he said aloud, more to convince himself that he wasn’t a terrible person, before letting the thought trail off – lest Honey figure out the overlap between herself and Kate.

Really, he highly doubted that Honey actually listened to or cared about his music – even when they’d been dating she’d not really paid much attention to it, having said that, he’d be hard pressed to name all of her creations too, so he supposed it was even.

Her question threw him slightly off guard. Yes, they had been talking about his music, but he had anticipated the conversation heading down a different path. Perhaps not. “Yeah,” he started, wetting his lips before taking another sip of his whisky, “March, I think.” He paused, “Why, you planning on coming?” He smirked.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
    “Yeah, if you can ever find time in your busy, busy schedule.” She didn’t look back to him as she spoke, still looking around the room, but she was sure he’d be able to spot her smirk even from his position in the corner. She needed to stop herself from leaving any sort of open invitation for him to return. And again, she had come across and skipped right over another perfect opportunity to mention William. It was too late, at this point, to sound genuine, right? She convinced herself with that excuse, anyway.

She had always assumed there were more songs, that a whole album had been out; she hadn’t actively seeked out his music. It had been a couple months since she had first heard her song. Time was blurry around the holidays, so maybe she was wrong. Either way, she looked back to Charlie with an eyebrow raised and a borderline smug smile. She ought to suggest that releasing the songs might make for a pretty great Christmas gift, but the Scotch was making her selfish -- she refused to believe that she would have felt so pleased if she hadn’t been drinking.

Her smile faltered just a bit, but again she had to give credit to the Scotch for recovering quickly (she thought, anyway) and keep their conversation on the topic of his relationship instead of anything about herself. “Wow, been a whole year? Impressive.” She moved her eyebrows up and down in quick succession, not pausing to try to remember just when in the last year that song had come out. Basic math would have been helpful but again, Scotch was to blame for her not dwelling on it for more than a couple seconds.

“Oh sure, I’m your biggest fan.” She returned his smirk with ease; her cheeks were starting to hurt from how much she had repeated the motion that evening. “Girlfriend, excluded, of course.” Either way, she would be there if there was a Hogsmeade show -- they didn’t exactly get a lot of excitement in the village these days. “But really,” she started again after another sip of her drink. “Of course I’m going.”

• Offline Charlie Baker
    • laura
    • Heterosexual
    • 258 Posts
    • Trophy Closet
    « Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 03:10:29 AM »
    “I might be able to make time,” he stopped himself from adding ‘for you’. It was dangerously easy to slip back into this playful back-and-forth with Honey. He needed to quit while he was ahead, before it was too late – but it didn’t seem like she was interested in ending this either.

Charlie was back to looking at Honey from across the room; analysing her body language and trying to make sense of the non-verbal cues she was giving him. She was hard to read, easy to second-guess. The musician wasn’t sure if he liked the way she was looking at him right now – like he was inadvertently admitting to something by releasing songs about her, rather than about his current girlfriend. He knew Kate understood, or she said she did. That it was a joint decision between band and label, and they had to be strategic and not sentimental – and ultimately, as far as Kate knew, that most of the songs had been written before they’d met. He would let her continue to live under that illusion.

Charlie rolled his eyes, “Yeah, new record, right?” He flashed her a boyish grin. Their own ‘relationship’ had been lengthy by Charlie’s standards, perhaps by Honey’s too – he wasn’t sure. He hadn’t ever asked about her past boyfriends. Either way, neither of them seemed really predisposed towards monogamy. He hoped that would change; he wanted to be faithful to Kate. Maybe it just took a settling-in period. One day he might be able to ask Honey if she had the same issue, well, if she ever found a steady boyfriend.

“Mm, knew it.” He returned her expression, licking his lips slowly. Charlie’s eyes met Honey’s again and he brought his drink up to take another sizeable gulp, just to have something to preoccupy himself with.

At her admission his face softened for second before he recovered, the hint of a sceptical frown passing over his features. “Really?” The idea of seeing Honey again, and soon, was more appealing than he cared to admit. In his whiskey-infused state, he was forgetting that that would mean an increased chance of Honey and Kate meeting. “I think we’re doing a show in Edinburgh, if that’s not too far out of your bubble.” He stood up and started moving around the room, touching on interesting looking bits of equipment as he made his way closer, “Otherwise it’s probably London, but I know how much you love that shithole.” He smirked at her.

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 02:34:45 AM »
    Honey raised her eyebrows in silent agreement about his new record. She returned his grin, but quickly took another swallow of her drink, preferring the familiar feeling of the burn of the alcohol to the familiar feeling of enjoying Charlie’s smile. Her new record almost rivaled his, she reminded herself. She had been seeing Will constantly for ten months now. And exclusively, she noted again. She could find time later to worry about why she had to keep reminding herself of that.

“Really.” Honey shrugged, smirk still firmly planted on her lips. She could be supportive of people she wasn’t sleeping with, she reasoned. “It’s still Scotland at least. I think I can manage.” She sipped at her drink, finding the bottom of the glass. But she didn’t refill it immediately, instead more interested in Charlie’s movements around the room. She was paying more attention to his hand as he touched various things and had to bring her gaze back up to meet his eye as he spoke.

“Don’t you live in that shithole?” She had been very close to offering up the information that her boyfriend lived in London, that she was there once or twice a week, that maybe she’d run into Charlie sometime. But the Scotch was either encouraging her to not say anything or just blurring the line between what were and weren’t really necessary details. Sliding off the counter, Honey doled out another sizeable pour of whisky for herself and took a drink, her back turned toward the room.

After a quick glance at the seemingly-not-yet-ready ganache, Honey turned and leaned back against the counter, one hand clinging to her glass, the other arm folded across her chest. “I think I am a little disappointed my song’s not on,” she brought up suddenly, referencing an earlier comment from Charlie. “It’s at least a little catchier than this.” She wriggled her shoulders. “Dancier.” She arched an eyebrow, replaying some of her fonder alcohol-fueled dances with Charlie in days past.

Tags: