December 12, 2018, 07:15:10 AM

Author Topic:  how little things can slip out of your hand [lionel]  (Read 444 times)

Jasmine Williams [ Ravenclaw ]
26 Posts  •  16  •  ?  •  played by Taylor
how little things can slip out of your hand [lionel]
« on: January 17, 2018, 06:28:50 PM »
It was difficult to not hear or care about gossip that spread through the walls. Teenagers had a special brand of meanness that was unlike any other. They dug deep to where it hurt the most, and they twisted and picked away and smiled through it all. Jazz didn't think a lot of them were actually bad people deep down, but sometimes it could be hard to see past that, especially when she kept hearing nasty rumours about people she knew and liked. She never knew it, but apparently @Lionel Sterling and @Clementine Russell were hot topics right now.

She could understand with Clem; she was popular and impulsive, she had a polarising effect sometimes. She was quite sure there was a betting pool somewhere regarding the fate of the relationship between the two, which left her mostly puzzled about Lionel. She never took him to be quite the ladies man, but here he was, caught between Clem and @Jacqueline MacClelland, both of whom she was friends with. And yet, it was Lionel whom she was trying to catch on her stakeout today.

Running a hand through her dark curls, Jazz sighed and pulled her jacket in tighter around her body. It was close to dinner time and she'd been waiting, sitting on the floor in a nook that gave her the perfect vantage point of everyone who went in and out of the library. She'd been here for at least three hours, her limbs getting cold and numb even with the heating spells, but she'd wait here well until bedtime if she had to. It was just... Lionel was the sort to keep everything bottled inside until he's been tipped too far. She didn't know his brothers very well, but they didn't look like the chatty, heart-to-heart kind of boys either.

With all that was happening with Clem and Dennis, and the recent fallout between all three of them, she knew very well that probably no one would've asked Lionel if he was ok and how he was dealing with it all. Girls had it easier in that respect. Lionel was too independent, too clever. Jazz shook out her legs again and hoped that she was doing the right thing. She didn't want to be involved with drama. She wasn't a writer, she didn't need to experience all these loopy emotions for her to create art. Still, she felt she'd be doing her friend a disservice if she didn't do something; she didn't think Lionel actually knew how much she cared for him. After all, they never really talked much.

Just as she was considering leaving for the Great Hall to get some soup, she managed to catch Lionel as he left the library. Great job, Jazz. If you'd been an hour earlier you wouldn't've had to sit here in the cold for an extra three. "Lionel– ah, shit, I'm sorry mate, really sorry about the ink pot, here, reparo. Cheers, have a good one. Lionel wait up!" Her joints were still stiff from all the sitting, and she could almost feel her back creak as she caught up to the Slytherin. "We need to talk. Got a minute?" She asked somewhat breathlessly, reaching for his arm without bothering to listen for a proper reply, "Ok great, come with me. I found this classroom just around the corner and I think the castle's only spat it out recently, it's very new. I think it's still sorry for the dome and that's its way of expressing it."

As promised, the classroom, or rather just room, since it was mostly bare in furnishings but strangely warm, was right where she remembered it'd be, not far at all. She had come here once or twice to work on her art projects, and she could really make as much of a mess as she wanted. If Lionel really squinted he would probably be able to make out a smudge of red paint right by the back door of the classroom. "Alright, sorry about all that," Jazz figured it was best to start off with an apology, "I just thought the best way to see you is to block you off before you leave."

For a while she worried her bottom lip, unsure of how to continue, but she knew she couldn't let the silence linger for too long or Lionel will definitely take that opportunity to leave. "Just... don't crack the shits or anything, but I'm worried about you."

Lionel Sterling [ Slytherin ]
515 Posts  •  16  •  played by Helena
  • I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation.
  • Trophy Closet Hogwarts House Cup - Slytherin (1999-2000) Keep cute and kitty on~ღ Registered a wand from Ollivanders or the British Isles Participated at the Academy Athena July/August 2000 Lower Middle Class Family Member This member reached the Ruby level before July 2015!
Re: how little things can slip out of your hand [lionel]
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 05:44:16 AM »
Lionel wanted to pretend like he was unaffected by the slow deterioration of his social situation, and for all the majority of their classmates knew, he was succeeding. It helped to be so predictable that no one was surprised when he came back from the library late at night, walking calmly through the empty corridors just after curfew with his Prefect badge pinned on his chest to ward off questions. It was OWL year, and there was too much to do to pay attention to the low buzz that emerged occasionally as he passed some of his yearmates. The Slytherin boy kept his face schooled to neutrality.

In reality, while the time did serve a dual purpose in preparing him for the upcoming exams, his late nights were his brand of coping with his frustration. He surrounded himself with silence and problems that could be solved with his mind alone: numbers never failed him; the words of astronomers before him remained printed on the page. He had never been so punctual nor so organized nor even so intimately familiar with his own notes. Lionel was proud that his preferrerd coping mechanism was a productive one, at least, if not necessarily a healthy one.

Stowing his supplies temporarily as dinner approached--he wanted a permanent desk in the library, but apparently that wasn't a thing he was allowed to do--he slung his bag over his shoulder and strode out of the door briskly. What might have been his name and a brief crash caught his attention, but he only turned his head without slowing. Whoever it was could walk with him, if it was his name; he thought, until Jazz's black curls bounced into sight and her hand latched onto his arm. "I--" he got out before he was being dragged into a nearby classroom, his brow furrowing as he couldn't help but process what she was saying. The castle was doing what?

Looking down at her face, Lionel raised an eyebrow. "Probably not incorrect," he acknowledged, a bit grudgingly. His mind was still somewhere in the middle of the Goblin Rebellion of 1752; he pulled out rather reluctantly at the look on the Ravenclaw's face as she bit her lip. Knitting his brows together and pressing his lips together to stifle a little puff of near-confused-laughter as she said "crack the shits", finding it oddly amusing in his distracted and overworked state of mind, Lionel crossed his arms defensively. "Worried about what?"
you can't walk away from what your heart knows

you can't trade today for tomorrow

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 02:20:24 AM »
Jazz was reasonably pleased when Lionel seemed to concede to her methods. She was an opportunist; she didn't believe in waiting around for something to fall into her lap. If she wanted something to happen she was damn well going to make it happen. After all, as her father always told her, if the mountain won't come to Muhammad then Muhammad must go to the mountain. She doubted Lionel was going to come if she'd asked to meet, so this was a swifter, much more effective method.

Seeing Lionel's expression of hazy distraction, Jazz resented her height. It was much more difficult to express righteous indignation when she was shorter than the other. She resisted the urge to snap her fingers in front of his eyes because she needed him to pay attention and be involved in this conversation, and chose to increase her volume instead. "Worried about what?" Jazz scoffed, rolling her eyes, "Look at yourself! You've always been quiet but you've been abnormally so recently, going out of your way to avoid everyone even more than usual. You have eyebags for days, and if your under eyes get any darker people will start mistaking you for one of the inferi! I didn't know being in the library all day and night included an invitation to join the legion of the undead."

Being too biting and sarcastic, as well as never knowing when to shut up, has always been one of her problems. At the same time, she felt that Lionel needed to hear this. "Don't cross your arms at me, Mister Sterling," she gave his Prefect's badge a withering glance, "And you're not allowed to use prefect duties as an excuse. I haven't seen much less of Jacq or any other prefect this term other than you, so that's off the table." Huffing another sigh, she turned away, bringing her arms up in front of her chest and crossing them just like Lionel. It wasn't as if she liked being mean to him. Sometimes it feels like any other form of communication just doesn't get through.

"I'm sorry if I got a bit worked up there, but this is probably the last apology I'll be giving you today. Two in one evening is more than enough, don't you reckon?" Jazz raised an eyebrow at him, hoping to illicit some sort of positive reaction from the Slytherin. He was always so solemn, she rarely heard him laugh. "But Lionel, all this isolation from everyone, it isn't because of O.W.L.s, is it?" She softened her voice, "It's because of Clem... and Dennis?"

wow she talks a lot, i'm so sorry lionel x__x

• I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation.
  • Trophy Closet Hogwarts House Cup - Slytherin (1999-2000) Keep cute and kitty on~ღ Registered a wand from Ollivanders or the British Isles Participated at the Academy Athena July/August 2000 Lower Middle Class Family Member This member reached the Ruby level before July 2015!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:36:57 AM »
Lionel leaned back slightly in the face of Jasmine's decibel increase and decided unimpressedness. The Ravenclaw launched straight into a small, creative tirade centered on his behavior; he noted drily that she never had been one to hold back what she thought. Somewhere in the back of his head, Lionel was somewhat impressed that she'd noticed. He'd not really expected anyone but Peter, Jacqueline, and Marin to care enough to do so. "Aren't you curious to know what the undead are like, though?" he couldn't resist interjecting, spurred on to match something of her tone. "Seems like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, you should be congratulating me on the best investigative journalism of the century." It was nearly a joke. Someone more adept at humor could probably have spun it into something about how it would certainly yield death, but the Slytherin wasn't about to try his luck by stepping outside the bounds of sarcasm.

He kept his arms firmly crossed despite her injunction, raising an eyebrow as if asking her to make him stop. I wasn't about to, he thought, but it was unnecessary and Lionel never said anything that was unnecessary other than for his own amusement. "Don't worry, your getting worked up is nothing out of the ordinary," he pointed out, slowing his words somewhat at the end to make the point.

The fifth year's previously somewhat attentive gaze turned flat and inward when she brought up Clem and Dennis. Not-Dionysus. He wanted to cross his arms again, to make a point, but as that was impossible settled for pressing his lips together. "O.W.L.s take up a considerable amount of time," he said neutrally, wishing he had his scrolls spread across a table to gesture to instead of the opaque bag he was holding. "I do have ten subjects to study for." Lionel couldn't wait to drop Care of Magical Creatures and Defense Against the Dark Arts, but he had no idea how else he was going to balance his course load going in to N.E.W.T. level, considering he was also planning on assessing whether his more intellectual peers might be interested in petitioning the staff for Alchemy, since it was only taught at N.E.W.T. level in response to sufficient student demand.

He held her gaze like that for a few seconds before concluding that there was no way, given precedent, that the Ravenclaw girl would be satisfied by that. Lionel was not inclined to dissect his feelings to their full extent, either, though. It wasn't even that Clementine was seeing someone. That didn't bother him--after all, he'd told her bluntly that he didn't want to be with her. It was that every encounter since had become a landmine with no way through. He settled for, "In light of that, my absence from the picture makes things cleaner, don't you think?" He still saw Jacq and Peter and Marin. And others, when studying was involved. He wasn't lacking in social interaction, incomprehensible as that situation might sound to their more extroverted peers.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 09:51:05 AM »
Jazz rolled her eyes, perhaps a little too enthusiastically at his response and his little jab about her tendency to overreact. "1980 owled and it wants its punchline back." She knew about his sharp tongue, but someone needed to teach him how to be witty, not spiteful or unfunny, which was how he usually came off as. Although this comeback was so lame hers was probably dribbling circles around it with a basketball.

"Stop using studying as your other excuse," Jazz retorted, although this time it was obvious that the fire that had previously emboldened her little monologue dimmed a little. And that was mostly because... Well... So what if she hadn't really started studying for O.W.L.s yet?! She didn't even understand why Lionel was already stressing out about it. He was plenty smart and she was sure he still remembered everything from first year to fourth (although she really wasn't sure if she did, so yikes, maybe she should start worrying about it), as long as he kept up with the coursework this year, there really was no real need to work himself to the bone. She could fool himself, and he could fool everyone else around them, but she's seen too many of her cousins break up and get back together with their girlfriends, and she knew exactly what was going on.

At least, she was pretty sure she knew what was going on with him. She had no idea what's Clem's side of the story was. A while ago she seemed to be completely into Lionel. From her point of view, she always thought that back-and-forth between them was a thing of theirs. Sure, she probably rooted for Jacq a little more, since they were both prefects and had way more in common... Anyway, that's beside the point! Lionel's comment did seem to make a lot of sense. If he was really upset to the point where he couldn't be in her presence without acting normally, like her cousin Ashley one time, who would cry about this girl who broke up with him to anyone who'd listen, it was probably better if they didn't hang out. "I guess, but what's this, picture you're talking about?" Jazz gestured a frame with her fingers, and peered at him through it, "Do you mean the three of you, the two of you, or all of us? I don't want us to not be able to hang out as a group ever again."

The thought of all of them, previously a big group of friends, now hanging in smaller cliques going forward put a frown on her. Privately, she thought their year got along better than any other year in Hogwarts right now, and she didn't really want to see that go. "You do seem awfully calm about everything though. I can't tell if it's because you're half-dead from overworking yourself, or if you're just really hiding how you feel." Normally, at least from what she's observed, when a girl and a boy get into a fight, it's usually the boy's fault. Her hands shifted to her hips, and she circled around to Lionel's side with a much more shrewd expression, "Did you do or say something to Clem and upset her so much that she turned to another man?" She made sure to put an emphasis on the word 'man'. Maybe that'll make him realise how silly he can be sometimes.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 06:58:47 PM »
"Wow, were you alive in 1980 or something?" Lionel rejoined, knowing full well that she'd been born in 1986. It wasn't long enough ago to be a proper insult, but sometimes Lionel just let his sarcasm do the talking.

Lionel raised his eyebrows and grasped the strap of his bag, shrugging the shoulder it was slung over. "I think I'd win this argument on the weight of my corroborating evidence," he pointed out. And he did mean weight: Lionel had always been a prolific note taker. He had vaguely heard somewhere that the Muggles had these machines that could store tons of information and display it on a single "screen"; it sounded like the kind of practical thing they needed better spells for but that Lionel himself was wholly uninterested in researching.

He shrugged. "I'm sure it'll blow over eventually," he said flatly, crossing his arms again and leaning against a wall. "Convince her to stop treating Jacqueline like dirt for no reason and maybe we'll talk." He rolled his eyes a little. "Plus, Jasmine, be logical. We haven't 'all hung out as a group'," he quoted with his hands, "since before the dome." The dome had shattered whatever norms they had had, grouping them haphazardly among one another to nip at each other's heels. Many of them had gained friends in other years; Lionel talked to Sith frequently enough. Humans, from Lionel's observation, liked both to clump together and in doing so away from other humans.

Lionel opened his mouth to tell the Ravenclaw that it was better to keep most cards close to the chest, or perhaps ask her pointedly whether she had gotten to know him at all over the last four and a half years, when she took on a vulturish aspect that the teenager found rather disturbing. He raised his eyebrows straight to the ceiling when he heard her question. "Excuse me?" For once he was at something of a loss for words. "'Another man'? What, did you expect me to be the 'primary' man?" Air quotes were getting heavy use from him today.

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!