November 18, 2019, 09:35:06 AM

Author Topic:    (Read 2789 times)

Prosper Lachapelle [ Beauxbatons Adult ]
1264 Posts  •  20  •  Bisexual  •  played by VEE
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:49:34 AM »

Ariana Laurier [ British Ministry ]
1281 Posts  •  20  •  played by Helena
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:43:04 AM »
Ariana didn't own any dresses formal enough for the occasion Prosper had invited her to, but @Kate Duenas did. She had thought, logically, that the American girl was a little bit shorter than she was, but they were about the same size, and Ari wasn't about to wear the stilettos she could pull off so flawlessly; asking her friend had seemed like the obvious thing to do. Asking Kate had turned out to be an utterly double-edged sword, though, Ariana had found. Kate seemed to relish the opportunity to dress her outside of her comfort zone. After suggesting, among other things, a dress with a neckline plunging all the way to her waist, she had sent her off, over protests weakened by repetition, with a silky, asymmetrical dress showing a considerable amount of leg. It was much more daring than anything she had ever worn before; something showing the years between the Victory Ball, the last formal occasion she'd had, and now. Ari had spent two hours thinking about giving up and wearing a more casual dress, but had reluctantly donned the number, attempting to portray the confidence that she didn't feel that was necessary to wear something like it. She envied the American girl, who seemed much more at ease in her own body, judging by the items in her closet. Perhaps it came with the territory of dating someone like @Charlie Baker.

Once they arrived at the venue, she was glad she'd worn what she did--it seemed like everyone around her was wearing stunning, sparkling gowns, and Prosper himself was wearing embroidered dress robes. He had told her that he'd gotten the tickets to the showcase from a friend of his, and she'd gotten the impression that his friend came from a rather high-class family with some degree of influence, especially since they were seated in a private box. Between being in France again, where thankfully at least she could converse fluently in the local language, being surrounded by people in formalwear, and watching a performance she wasn't sure she could afford on her own, it felt a little like she had stepped into another world--through the wardrobe into Narnia, like in the Muggle books she'd read at her Grandpa and Grandma Penrose's when she was little. Ari was captivated by the performance; the way the dancers and the effects wizards' work combined visually was mesmerizing. And it was nice being here with Prosper, who knew a lot about dance and this symphony, and who was gentlemanly at every turn.

Turning her attention to him as they stood up for intermission, Ari brushed down her dress a little, trying to adjust it to be less blatantly revealing before they descended the stairs. "I've never seen anything like it," she said honestly, eyes sparkling. "The aggressive number where every footfall made sparks and that haunting melody with the soloist are my favorites so far. I feel like the second one was something I've heard before, but I couldn't quite place it." Music wasn't really Ari's forte, but her mum liked classical music; she'd probably heard it on the radio when she was little. "How about you? Does watching this make you wish you were on the stage with them?" She noticed her date smiling at the waiter as he took the little hors d'oeuvre; it seemed he wasn't just a gentleman to her, and she appreciated that. Swiping a small glass of wine from another waiter's tray to have something to do with her hands rather than fidget with the purse Kate had lent her, she looked around the room, which was filling up with the gentle murmur of conversation from the elegantly dressed crowd. "This whole experience seems like a little window into you," she commented, thinking how he seemed at home here. Ari was just pretending like she wasn't a fish out of water.
let your memories grow stronger and stronger 'til they're before your eyes

you'll come back when they call you, no need to say goodbye

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 07:27:23 AM »
Prosper nodded eagerly, genuinely pleased by her response. "The soloists are amazing," he agreed, placing a hand on her lower back as they moved through the crowd. The man couldn't help but smile when she mentioned the fact that he might have had a chance to be up on stage with the others. "A little," he admitted. "I feel it whenever I go to an amazing show, though. I come out of wrock concerts wanting to play the drums and write songs and I come out of ballet showcases wanting to get back into leotards, pirouettes and plies." Prosper had done so much acting and performing over the years that all manner of performances called to him. His skills all lay in one obvious area; he could dance, tumble, act, sing and play instruments. He was made for theatre.

"Do you think so?" he asked thoughtfully, before eating his little hors d'oeuvre in two bites. Prosper supposed she was right. The red seats, the theatre, the performance - it was all very him. Brushing a few crumbs from his lips, the young man nodded a little. "I don't think you're wrong," he said, "I'd love to take you to a performance by the circus class I was in for a while though. Did I tell you about that?" Prosper glanced her way quickly to double check before continuing with a smile. "A while after school I almost joined a travelling circus. I had the interview and audition and everything, almost went through with it." Prosper said it like joining a circus was a casual thing; he said it that way to come off as funny. But when he'd been in his sixth year the only thing that had stopped him from dropping out of school to join the circus had been his social life.

"I'd love to get a look into yours," he said, tilting his head to the side slightly. She was a bit of a curiosity to Prosper. He didn't believe that she was just  a normal, boring girl from Hogwarts who'd never been kissed. As far as he was concerned, 'normal, boring' people very rarely existed in the real world; everyone was full of stories and passions and fears. Through their time together, he'd learned about things like the fact that she had a sister and a brother and that she'd been in the flufflehuff house or whatever at school. He paid attention to try to remember these facts, but he was sure there was so much more to this brown-eyed girl he'd met all those years ago. He wanted to know.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:48:47 AM »
If she was honest, Ari hadn't seen enough dance performances to distinguish between an amazing soloist and a good one. She was relying on the simple metric of whether or not she was enjoying a performance. Clubs dedicated to the arts popped up at Hogwarts sometimes, but they usually weren't institutionalized in the way that she'd been led to believe they were at Beauxbatons. Ari nodded thoughtfully. "What happens after the show effect wears off, then?" Prosper had implied that he'd been somewhat unrooted when they'd met at Tactile, that he'd gone traveling and tried a lot of new things. What he hadn't said was whether after all that anything had stuck.

Ari nodded with a shrug, taking a sip of the slightly-sweet liquid. "You seem very at home here," she offered by way of explanation. She shook her head in response to his question; somehow after everything she'd learned about him, a circus didn't seem so surprising, although her eyes widened a touch imagining ever being in a position to consider something like that. "Why didn't you?" she asked curiously. In retrospect, everything is an adventure, he'd basically said. She wondered what or who could keep him from one like that.

Ariana laughed, looking down at her glass and then back up around the buzzing mezzanine, eyes lingering on women wearing unusual outfits and ostentatious hats and dress robes with a built-in cape. "Mine is much less glamorous," she offered. "I don't think an equivalent place for that exists, really." Maybe just some fields on rolling hillsides on the outskirts of Exeter in late August. That was where she'd always felt most at home. Otherwise, she was a lot of pieces cobbled together; freshly kicked up dirt on the Quidditch pitch, and the Hufflepuff common room, and a classroom without windows in the Ministry where she learned to track down dark wizards, and a tiny apartment in Paris where the shower would have made the toilet wet if she hadn't conjured a barrier every time. And the Room of Requirement the week before the battle. She paused. "Or at least, if it did, it doesn't exist anymore." There was the monument they'd built outside of Hogwarts, but she couldn't go back just anytime, and she still didn't think it could really impress the story on him. Maybe, she thought, that was a good thing. Maybe more people didn't need to know. It was kind of nice that when Prosper looked at Ari, he didn't seem to see a war veteran.

ooc: @Luciana Bertinelli wanna crash now before things get too melodramatic?

Luciana Bertinelli [ Dark Wizard ]
1236 Posts  •  20  •  plants & pasta  •  played by laura
  • "Haven't you heard? I don't have a heart. Everyone knows that."
  • Trophy Closet Laura's Halloween 2018 reward This driver or character won or was runner-up for an Anniversary 2018 Poll! Beauxbatons House Cup - Ombrelune (1999-2000) Influential Family Member Pureblood Character Former Ombrelune Musketeer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 08:00:49 AM »

f r o m   m y   r o t t i n g   b o d y ,   f l o w e r s   s h a l l   g r o w ,

a n d   i   a m   i n   t h e m ,   a n d   t h a t   i s   e t e r n i t y

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »
"I don't know," he answered truthfully. At any point in time, he might answer differently. Sometimes he was filled with such unrest that the only logical way forward seemed to be to uproot himself and leave for somewhere, or something, else.

She wasn't wrong; he was at home here. It was safe, familiar territory. He fit nicely in such a sophisticated setting. A part of Prosper wanted her to know that he was all kinds of unsafe and unsophisticated, too. Just a couple of months ago, for example, he'd found himself wine-drunk with a group of friends on the roof of a building in Barcelona. They'd watched the moon set from their vantage point, all covered in glitter and silver paint from the night's antics as they talked about their biggest dreams and fears. He wasn't just made up of plush red seats in decadent theatres, or leotards or Shakespearean monologues. Spontaneity and the siren's call of far away places thrummed through him. Fear and uncertainty too.

"Why didn't I leave?" he repeated, distracted for a moment as he plucked a delicate champagne flute from one of the passing waiters. Why hadn't he left? Probably because of Zara, he thought. Zara and Diederik and his school and his friends. "I was a bit directionless," he admitted, "but my friends, the people I love - they were all in Paris. I didn't think I was ready to leave yet." He felt ready now, though. He'd been spending less and less time at his home in Paris, avoiding the place that felt too much like stagnation. Instead, he'd gone home to the outskirts of Dahliental for a while, then travelled again. A slight frown creased his handsome brow as he considered his answer post-speaking it. "I don't know," he said again. "I think I just..." Prosper trailed off, distracted by a small hand on his arm. He turned, still frowning a little.

"Luci," Prosper said blankly, a little surprised to see her again so soon after last time. He blinked, then smiled and leaned in to kiss her lightly on the cheek. It was very french of him, and typical. Looking at her now, Prosper supposed that it wasn't really that soon since he'd last seen her. He'd barely thought of her recently, but her presence seemed to shorted the distance between now and then considerably. The man didn't miss the quick once-over his ex girlfriend gave his date, or the slight disdain in her hazel eyes. She'd always been an expert at performing the emotions she wanted to show, and concealing the ones she didn't - she'd gotten better at it since they'd left school - but there were some things he could still read. That one was a touch too familiar.

"Am I bothering you?" he asked Ariane lightly, casually including her in the conversation. He gave her a warm smile. "Ariane, Luciana," he said, introducing them to each other. Turning his attention back to Luciana, Prosper's eyes flicked down her dress and then over at the girl by the wall staring at them. "Here with cousins?" he guessed. Luci's family was huge - so much bigger than his own. She was more jaded than she'd been in school, he decided. It had been less than two short years since they'd graduated but Luci had grown up a lot since then. He realised with a gentle shock that she wasn't the only one, either. He wasn't a boy anymore, but a man. Luciana was undoubtedly a woman. He remembered moments of vulnerability in her bed and in her bedroom; he'd seen moments where she'd looked like her younger self again - slight changes in her posture or the way she dropped her gaze when she cried - but the person in front of him now had none of that on display.

It was strange, he thought, to have their history here. It felt almost tangible to the young man, and he was extremely aware of the way it could alienate his new friend if focussed on or dredged up. Subconsciously, he moved towards Ari a bit, placing his hand in the dip of her back lightly.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 04:57:49 AM »

• Trophy Closet Laura's Halloween 2018 reward This driver or character won or was runner-up for an Anniversary 2018 Poll! Beauxbatons House Cup - Ombrelune (1999-2000) Influential Family Member Pureblood Character Former Ombrelune Musketeer
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 07:08:07 PM »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:09:02 PM by Lowri »

f r o m   m y   r o t t i n g   b o d y ,   f l o w e r s   s h a l l   g r o w ,

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 06:31:22 AM »

Prosper had been in this situation - past flame, new interest - more than he cared to think about. For some reason, it didn't ever seem to get easier or put him less on edge. Of course, this particular pairing was interesting in several ways. One of them was just by virtue of who the girls were; Luciana was a force to be reckoned with, cool and predatory when she wanted something, venomous when she was unhappy. Prosper remembered that he hadn't seemed to care about all of that when they'd been together. Of course back then they'd both been different people. She'd been so much more open to him. So young. Ariana, on the other hand, felt more mature and less mature in different ways. He couldn't quite place her, but he knew that she was sincere and honest and steadfast. He hoped she wasn't too nervous.

Luci wasn't being anything but polite, but it was evident - especially to him - that her politeness was a little sharp around the edges. Ari wasn't being anything but polite either, but he hadn't missed the fact that she seemed tense all of a sudden. He didn't need to guess as to why. Luciana's comment about family, thankfully, went over Prosper's head. He was probably a little distracted by how beautiful she looked. He followed her gaze to the girls he could now see did look quite a bit like her. He smiled, returning his gaze to Luci. She was so good at commanding attention.

Briefly, Prosper caught something in her large hazel eyes. He wasn't sure what it was, or if he was just reading into things, but for a moment he'd thought he'd seen a softness to her gaze. It made him feel a little bad for doubting her intentions. And a little guilty for the way their last enounter had ended. As per usual, Prosper wasn't particularly good at holding onto old negative emotions. When he reread and rewrote the past, he tended to forget about the worst things and the worst parts of people he'd encountered. It wasn't an intentional optimism thing, but he did tend to remember the best of people. "Mostly the same, until recently," he answered honestly, not really wanting to go into detail about how he'd been aimlessly drifting and doing a lot of partying and sleeping around until a month or two ago. Last time Luciana had seen him he hadn't acted like it, but he'd been a bit of a hot mess. Things were better now, steadier.

His grey eyes lingered on his ex girlfriend's face for a moment as she turned her attention to his date. Not for the first time, Prosper wished he could read her mind. Prosper blinked, listening to Ari speak. He felt a bit of an urge to interject and be a part of every interaction but Luci had asked Ariane her question, so he kept his mouth shut. His hand was still on the small of Ari's back and Prosper drew light circles there absentmindedly with his fingers as he took a sip of his drink.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 05:46:02 AM »

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 08:40:57 AM »

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 03:59:26 AM »
Fascinating. Ari wondered whether Luciana really thought that London was fascinating. Considering she had an Italian-sounding name and was here at an opulent gala in Paris, she doubted it; but then, Ari's own impressions of London were rather one-sided. London meant Diagon Alley, she supposed, but it also mostly meant work, the Ministry of Magic Headquarters packed full of witches and wizards during rush hour in the morning. The former Hufflepuff had only moved there for training, and having skipped most of the summer parties and not having enough disposable income to really enjoy London's nicer cultural aspects, had mostly found it epitomized by a grayish drizzle and too many people. Maybe it was fascinating that Prosper was here with a girl from London, though. Ari found that idea strange, too; given how much he said he traveled, she would have thought an old...friend or whatever she was would be less than surprised.

What did she do, anyway? Learn how to try and stop people from killing other people by whatever means necessary, including the most unforgivable. "I'm in Auror training," she admitted, not particularly wanting to linger on it but feeling like the other girl might find that even more fascinating than the idea that she lived in London.

Ari raised her eyebrows, nodding as if mulling it over. It seemed the other girl thought it was a stupid question, but while Ari could tell that her name was obviously not French, she could always have moved. Apparently that idea was too much for her Italian pride. "Ah," she said simply. She'd heard of the Wizarding city, but Ariana was not especially well traveled. Paris and Toulouse were about the extent of it. "No, I'm afraid I haven't. What's it like?" she inquired politely, figuring that it might be a subject the other woman could talk about for a while, shifting the focus of the conversation off of her. She glanced at Prosper, hoping he would catch that she was trying to evade Luciana's probing.

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 07:28:15 AM »
Prosper felt a little uneasy as Luciana flicked her eyes his way. She was speaking about Italy, and Prosper got her meaning quite clearly. In another context, with other people he might have flirted with her or made those eyes right back at her, but in Ariane's presence he just wanted to leave. He and Luciana had history, but he and Ariane were current. He wasn't angry with Luci, just sort of... wary.

Sliding his hand from the small of her back to her waist, Prosper moved a little closer to his date. He finished his champagne while the girls exchanged somewhat pointed sentences. Work this, living-in-london that. He wondered how neutral he could be in a situation like this, where Luci was clearly the agitator. "Neroli is lovely," he interjected, not missing Ari's look his way either. There were too many non-verbal exchanges going on here for his liking. Absentmindedly, Prosper tried to guess how much longer until the intermission would be over.

"It's completely magical, so entirely hidden to the muggle world," he said, continuing with a pleasant smile. "It's sort of near Verona, if you know where that is." Prosper knew where Verona was. For obvious reasons. "The weather is nice, the city is pretty." And so were the girls. Prosper only thought that last part; it seemed an inappropriate thing to add.

"How about you, Luciana?" he asked, turning the conversation away from Ariane. "You've been asking all the questions and I haven't gotten to ask how you are." He was smiling, but the insinuation hadn't been subtle. Stop interrogating my date, he told her silently. "Still working with plants? Seeing anyone new?" the man cocked an eyebrow. The way they were standing now - him so close to Ari, with his arm around her - clearly positioned Luciana as the odd one out. Last time he'd talked to her she'd spoken of being advertised. It was doubtful that she was actually seeing someone so to speak.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 07:28:32 AM »

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 01:27:52 PM »
"Yeah I'll definitely take her to Neroli," Prosper said flatly, his words dismissed and drowned out by the chatter around them and the way that Luciana's eyes were fixed on Ari, and not on him. He held back a sigh. Neutrality was obviously not an option here. When Luci turned her pretty honey-brown eyes back to him her arms were crossed. She was defensive. Prosper didn't shrink under her gaze. "A lot in common?" Prosper repeated, quirking an eyebrow. He couldn't imagine a world in which two Luciana-like people would make a good match. She was too jealous, too high-maintenance. She kept secrets. Prosper thought she was probably referring to another elemental, but his thoughts turned to the idea of someone very like her in personality.

Somewhere a warm bell dinged to indicate the end of intermission. People's attention turned to the intermission sign above the door to head back up to the theatre. Prosper's grey eyes remained fixed on Luciana. "Well good luck with that," he said simply. Prosper was a good performer but he wasn't as suited to the more subtle ebb and flow of trading insults and shifting power through polite conversation. His jab was far less subtle. Before she could speak again, Prosper nodded graciously. "Enjoy the show," he said, stepping away from his former flame and drawing Ariane with him into the crowd with expert ease. "I'm sorry about that," he said quietly, leaning into her as he walked. "Do you want to get out of here?"

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!