Author Topic:  high hopes [mary lou]  (Read 127 times)

• Offline Gilbert Lightwood
  • high hopes [mary lou]
    « on: June 06, 2018, 11:39:28 AM »
    @Mary Lou Bird was quite domineering when determined. When she had something on her mind, the girl would rarely stop until reaching her goal; and, in this case, she’s reached it, by having convinced Gilbert to go hiking with her. Generally, the boy was pretty much open to any kind of activity, but hiking, that was an entire different issue. Actually, he was sure that nobody had ever actually seen him hiking; while the outdoors type of person indeed, Gilbert spent most of his time on the pitch, playing either quodpot or quidditch. Otherwise, he could be easily found in the library, or with his group of friends somewhere on the school’s grounds. But hiking… no, never.

At least to the public eye, of course, for ever since Gilbert first started practicing his animagus skills, he did his own kind of nocturnal hiking. But nobody aside from Minnie knew of that, and he was certainly not going to change the situation anytime soon. It was going to be hard, but Bertie figured Lou would enjoy taking the lead, and that she knew all the paths and the forests pretty well, so he wouldn’t actually have to interfere much and reveal that he knew the forest like the palm of his hand.

She’d chosen the twentieth as the day of the hike. It was just before his birthday and Bertie, yet again, found himself a bit sceptical about spending it in such a way. Even if he was going to be outside, he’d rather at least play catch. But no, there was no way out of this, for he had promised already he’d go with her. Bertie wasn’t the type to go back on his word, as uncomfortable as he was. However, the Wampus was sure that, as long as the weather would be fine (it was especially cloudy outside, and Bertie really hoped it wouldn’t rain) and Mary Lou had the walk perfectly planned, nothing would go wrong.

And there was one more issue – he didn’t really have any actual clothes in his dorm that went well with hiking. Taking that into consideration, Bertie found himself going to the Lightwoods’ house in Shackamaxon to take the black tracksuit his mother had bought him for when he used to play basketball. That, combined with some matching sneakers, should do. Before leaving towards his meeting spot with Lou, Gilbert also took his leather jacket. Not sure how practical that would be, but it was still chilly so far and assuming the hiking would go well, and he would actually get tired (not a chance), Bertie could take it off anytime.

He soon reached their meeting spot, exactly at their agreed time. Mary Lou was already there, and Bertie waved before he approached her, not really quickening his pace but just lazily walking towards her. “Cheep, chirp, chirrup!” He greeted her teasingly, as always making bird sounds whenever around her. Gilbert then stretched out his hand, and arranged a more rebellious curl of hers, gently tucking it behind her ear. Her hair was arranged in a bun, which Bertie didn’t necessarily like; Lou’s hair was by far one of her best features and while, sure, it’d be impractical when hiking, he would’ve preferred her to leave her hair loose.

His hand then trailed to her chin, lightly lifting it so he can take a better look at her face. “Bonita.” Bertie commented, realising that Mary Lou’s hair often times distracted from her other features. With her hair gathered, she was, in fact, quite pretty. Still, he preferred her having her hair loose. She looked more rebellious, to some extent, and his friend there could definitely use that reputation for her upcoming elections. Rebels attracted voters, for some incomprehensible reason.

He retrieved his hand, placing it in his pocket. “Which way?” Gilbert inquired, encouraging Mary Lou to pick the path they’d take that day. The quodpot captain was determined to always gently push her to take the lead, as smoothly as possible. In the end, he didn’t want her to find out he knew these paths as well as her, if not even better, for he’s always adventured at night rather than during the day.

i n    a    w o r l d    l i k e    t h i s    o n e    o n l y    t h e    r a n d o m    m a k e s    s e n s e

• Offline Mary Lou Bird
  • Re: high hopes [mary lou]
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 05:11:32 PM »
    Mary Lou had suggested they meet at six that morning; it would be just before dawn, giving them plenty of time to get the hike started, keep the sun at their backs as they moved. She was used to being turned down for such early starts, and they had settled on eight instead -- but Mary Lou was an early Bird and had gone down to breakfast at her usual time (half past five) had her usual cups of coffee (three) and headed outside anyway. It looked like the excuse of escaping the sun was for nothing, anyway, as it was pretty overcast. But she was prepared, of course. She was wearing a flannel shirt, shorts, knee high wooly socks worn slouchy at her ankles, and her well-worn, mud-caked hiking boots. Around her waist she had tied her rain jacket, bright yellow.

A glance at her digital watch as Bertie approached (with his familiar chirping greeting that was annoying her less and less) told her he was right on time (or two hours late, depending on how one looked at it). “Mornin’,” she offered, just as his hand reached out to take care of a rogue curl for her. She was about to thank him, but he wasn’t done: his hand was on her chin and she found herself moving her gaze from his eyes to his lips and back up again.

Bonita.

A couple months ago this wouldn’t have been any cause for hesitation on her part. But then he had suggested they attend the Sweetheart’s Dance together (which they both agreed to do as friends), thinking it wouldn’t hurt to try to boost her campaign numbers at every chance she got. They had fun (she even had a couple sips of alcohol -- shh) but that was it. Just a nice evening with her friends. But then the comments started coming, probably with innocent intentions, that they had looked cute together. They had made some effort to match at the dance, and she had certainly put effort into her makeup (read: she got a roommate to do it for her), but she didn’t see what they were trying to point out.

That is, until the offhanded comment from a roommate that Mary Lou Lightwood had a nice ring to it. She was, rather surprisingly, not disagreeable. It hadn’t occurred to her before that moment that there ever could be a possibility of any sort of something more than friendship -- there were so many things she wanted to fix about him, after all -- but maybe the idea wasn’t too far fetched.

Maybe.

There had been zero indication from Bertie in the weeks following that anything between them was different. And now, a couple weeks past that, Mary Lou was coming back down from the idea, reassuring herself that she needed to focus on her campaign, anyway.

But he had never called her pretty before.

“Gracias,” she said, her mind blank of any and all things beside that word. Bertie moved his hand, Lou blinked, and she pointed west. “That way.” She blinked a couple more times, the fog in her mind clearing up now that she was getting back to her element. Taking the first few steps forward, she gave her head a scratch as she continued to walk and talk. “I figured we could follow the AT a little then branch off into the reservation.” She shrugged, tightening the straps of her backpack. “I have plenty of stuff to stay out all day, so you’ll have to tell me when you’re halfway to quitting so we can turn around.”

She smiled, the trail already heading into an incline. The last of the snow on the trail had disappeared the week before, but the path was still drying out and there hadn’t been anyone through yet to clear out any of the overgrowth. “Is that the only jacket you own?” Lou looked over to Bertie with her eyebrow raised, the hint of a smirk on her face. “It’s very practical.”

a n d   i n s t e a d   o f   m o v i n g   m o u n t a i n s   l e t   t h e   m o u n t a i n s   m o v e   y o u

• Offline Gilbert Lightwood
  • Re: high hopes [mary lou]
    « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:12:54 PM »
    “Obrigado, actually. Or obrigada, since you’re a girl.” Gilbert playfully winked in Lou’s direction, and then started lazily started walking in the direction she pointed to. The air was especially fresh; while he was still hoping it wouldn’t rain, and pleading to every famous dead wizard and witch out there so it wouldn’t, Bertie enjoyed the scent that surrounded them. That specific scent the air had when it was cloudy, and it was just about to rain – it felt humid, fresh, and somehow as if they were by the seaside. He enjoyed it quite a lot, and Bertie took a deep breath as he listened to Lou’s following words.

He laughed, genuinely amused. “Me, tired? Halfway to quitting?” Has she met him? Seriously, Mary Lou. “You’ll have to be the one telling me when you’re tired, Miss President.” Bertie added the appellative on purpose, half wanting to see Lou’s reaction to it, and half wanting her to also get used to it. In the end, while he did not enjoy this system at all, and considered it all complete shit, he’d rather have Mary Lou as president than someone else. Of course, if someone else (anyone else) would win this year – and they won’t – the sixth year Wampus was already planning to make their life a living hell. Why? Just because chaos was beautiful.

“This is nothing compared to my daily training.” Bertie commented, shrugging as he glanced in the direction of a tree as they passed by it. Someone else – another dog – marked their territory there and he wasn’t enjoying it. Ilvermorny's grounds were his. He would definitely have to come back late at night and make sure to put his print (read: pee) on that exact tree again.

He smirked at the comment regarding his leather jacket. Of course she wouldn’t like it. Mary Lou was more into the straight-laced type of boys, he would figure. But even if she seemed so innocent and sweet, the sixth year was sure his house mate had her own fair share of flirting. In the end, as he’s stated before, Mary Lou was quite pretty. She probably attracted the straight-laced boys that she was surely into. However, he didn’t quite like her remark. Leather jackets were the actual best. But he didn’t want to tease her, or at least not pick on her in a way he would with others. She was more delicate, and Bertie didn’t want her to actually take him seriously.

Gilbert bit his lower lip, pulling out his wand from his pocket. “You only need one jacket, Mary Lou.” He commented, and with a slightly movement of his wrist, Bertie transfigured his own outfit into one that would match hers, with slight modifications – flannel shirt, but matching trousers which were tucked in his boots. Bertie then threw his wand in the air and took a step forwards, turning around and presenting himself in front of his house mate, making sure she would stop and enjoy the view: him.

He caught the wand just in time, and winked. “Magic.” Bertie giggled, more playfully than usual. “So what about now?” He smirked, teasingly. “Am I poised to your liking, Miss President?” Gilbert drew in a little closer, just for the dramatic effect. He couldn’t wait to see Lou’s reaction to him looking actually ‘proper’ for once.

i n    a    w o r l d    l i k e    t h i s    o n e    o n l y    t h e    r a n d o m    m a k e s    s e n s e

Tags: