Author Topic:  learner’s permit [dennis]  (Read 94 times)

• Offline Henry Murphy
  • learner’s permit [dennis]
    « on: August 08, 2018, 01:03:38 AM »
    He’d rather be doing this than any of his schoolwork, at least. If that weren’t true then he wouldn’t be doing it. Henry was a procrastinator by nature, and not very good at saving the best or least pressing for last. Not that all of it wasn’t pressing, of course. Too many of the things they did at N.E.W.T. level were future-determining and Henry didn’t have enough of an idea of what he wanted for his future to prioritize.

At least Henry knew he wanted to be able to Apparate. It hadn’t ever really been a question, even after he’d found out how unpleasant it felt. The test was to be held in Hogsmeade tomorrow on the fourth. Despite all of the extra sessions with the instructor as the date approached, Henry still felt nervous. He was now successfully Apparating most of his guided tries but that wasn’t enough. Unlike his upcoming exams, the Apparition test wasn’t unrepeatable. To a person who found it extremely difficult to weather embarrassment, though, it was as good as.

Henry closed his Apparition Laws and Guidelines booklet and rolled off his bed. In the castle he couldn’t actually practice, so he had to be careful, but he could go through the motions. He stretched out his back and attempted a tottery little twirl. His kneazle, Elspeth, watched judgmentally from his pillow. Henry had gotten the impression that she was judging him quite a lot in the short time they’d known each other—but that might have just been how cats looked.

He spun around on his foot again, more gracefully with some effort, but nearly fell over when he noticed someone else in the doorway. “Oh!” he said. “Hi, sorry.” Henry flushed and grinned halfheartedly at Dennis when he had regained his balance. He held up his booklet. “Test is tomorrow. Y’know. I can go downstairs…” Of all his roommates, Dennis required the most privacy—or he seemed like he did, and Henry preferred to give it to him rather than take his chances.

@Dennis Creevey
    m a k e  m y  m e s s e s  m a t t e r

m a k e  t h i s  c h a o s  c o u n t

• Online Dennis Creevey
    • there is no boy more sad and handsome
    • VANNAH
    • straight (?)
    • 340 Posts
    • Trophy Closet
      For characters who were members of Dumbledore's Army Puddlemere United Fan Working Class Family Member Emily's FPP 2016 Sapphire Reward Post of the Month Winner Christine's Diamond FPP 2018 Award Jenny's FPP 2016 Sapphire Reward Vannah's FPP 2016 Sapphire Reward Gambled away at least 50 Galleons
    Re: learner’s permit [dennis]
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 02:49:03 AM »
    Dennis adjusted his robes around his shoulders as he trudged up the stairs to his dorm. Usually he spent the afternoons studying in the library (with Clem) or in the common room (with Clem) or out in the grounds, taking photos or something (with Clem). Today, however, he didn't really feel like seeing her so he was heading straight up to his dorm after class instead of hanging around in common areas. He fiddled with the sleeves of his robes as he walked; they were too small for him. They still fit around his chest, but the sleeves were a touch too short and the bottom hem wasn't as long as it was supposed to be. Dennis didn't see the point in buying new ones when he was so close to finishing school; only one year left, he thought, and that was only if he made it the whole way through.

He stopped in the doorway, distracted by the show his roommate was putting on. Dennis was confused for a moment - was Henry secretly into dancing or something? Should he pretend he didn't see anything? But then he realised what was going on and couldn't help the crooked smile that made its way onto his lips as Henry almost tripped and fell on his face. A dimple appeared in one cheek. He leaned against the doorframe. "Nah, don't," he said casually, still smiling. Dennis took his chance to move into the room, making his way to his bed and dumping his bag beside it. He fell into his mattress with a sigh.

Last year, McGonagall had organised for Dennis to attend the apparition sessions. He'd been with the current 7th years - Keela Doyle and the others. He hadn't done well. Was it a concentration thing, perhaps? A focus thing? Maybe he was just generally shit at magic now and needed to come to terms with that? Dennis wasn't entirely sure, but he'd given up part way through the course and had opted out of joining his new yearmates this year too. Usually, the apparition training and exams weren't exactly pick-and-choose, but Dennis had discovered some leeway with these sorts of things in the past few years. He felt the principal's presence softening many aspects of his magical education for him - like organising his spot in last year's summer school, for example. Dennis thought McGonagall had a soft spot for hopeless cases.

"You nervous?" Dennis asked curiously, unlacing his sneakers and kicking them off unceremoniously. He understood the appeal of rites of passage like this one; once Henry had his license he'd be so much freer in the magical world than he was already. Dennis felt a touch of jealousy that didn't make its way into his expression.

• Offline Henry Murphy
  • Re: learner’s permit [dennis]
    « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 04:18:21 AM »
    Dennis smiled at him, leaning coolly against the doorframe, and it flustered Henry even more. He’d rather the cat judge him than his roommate. Something about Dennis made him deeply unsettling to Henry: his observant, reticent nature, perhaps, as if he knew a lot of things and had a lot of opinions about other people. But it was easier to be friendly, at least, when Dennis was in the mood to be friendly back. He’d been that way more often lately. It gave Henry a bit of hope that maybe someday he wouldn’t have to try at being friendly. The thought of him being close friends with somebody who preferred @Clementine Russell’s type felt a little far-fetched these days, but there was still a chance.

“I guess so,” he said, not wanting to get into the topic of his nervousness. “Not as if I can’t do it over, y’know, but still it’d be embarrassing to fail.” Flopping onto the foot of his bed, Henry sighed.

“Can you Apparate?” he asked. Dennis hadn’t been taking the lessons with the rest of their year, but he was older, after all. Of course some people just weren’t interested—Henry’s granddad had never been able to abide Apparition, nor Floo either. Dennis was Muggle-born like him. If Henry had been just that little bit more alienated from the concept of it, he wasn’t sure he’d have been so eager to get his license.

Looking back at Dennis like some student awaiting a mentor’s sage advice, Henry felt uncomfortably young. He tried to look a little less wide-eyed. Cool, confident. That was what Dennis seemed to respond to in a person. There was never a time when Henry wasn’t trying to hide his naivety, but alone in their bedroom it was somehow more difficult.

• Online Dennis Creevey
    • VANNAH
    • straight (?)
    • 340 Posts
    • Trophy Closet
      For characters who were members of Dumbledore's Army Puddlemere United Fan Working Class Family Member Emily's FPP 2016 Sapphire Reward Post of the Month Winner Christine's Diamond FPP 2018 Award Jenny's FPP 2016 Sapphire Reward Vannah's FPP 2016 Sapphire Reward Gambled away at least 50 Galleons
    « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 05:40:46 AM »
    "Yeah for sure," Dennis agreed, as if he hadn't failed anything in his life. Ha. The teenager tugged his robes up and over his head, dumping them beside his bed on the floor. He got up and rifled around in his bedside drawers for a moment before pulling out a pair of soft flannel pyjama pants and tugging them on, one leg then the other. It was a pretty recent thing for him, sleeping in clothes that were meant for sleeping in, rather than just underwear or just his regular clothes, depending on the weather. At first he'd just been fake-thankful for Dean's birthday present, but nowadays he didn't know how he'd spent the last few years without them. Dennis would have to go out again in a few hours for dinner, at which point he'd get properly dressed again, but until then he wasn't going to sit around in uncomfortable clothes. Wizarding robes were fine, he supposed, but for comfort nothing matched his new PJs. He kicked his robes and his shoes into a pile before getting back onto his bed, tugging on the flannel shirt but not bothering to button up the front. He relaxed, skinny legs sprawled out on top of his blanket.

"Uh..." Dennis thought about his most recent, actually successful apparation attempt. This time he hadn't apparated into a skateboard or anything. "I don't have a license," he said with a half-smile, hoping that it sounded cool and badass rather than pathetic. It was like being asked if he could drive, he thought, and answering with something like well I'm not supposed to drive. Technically, he could do it. He'd been successful at least once, and in a pinch he was sure he'd be able to pull it off at least semi-successfully. Unfortunately, the last time he'd done it semi-successfully, he'd ended up with an injury that would have crippled him in the muggle world. Yay for magic healing, he thought. He folded his arms behind his head. "I wouldn't stress about it too much," Dennis said, "you're pretty good at all the other stuff - charms, transfig... right? I'm sure it'll be easy for you."

• Offline Henry Murphy
  • Re: learner’s permit [dennis]
    « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:14:20 AM »
    Henry tucked one foot up under him and dangled the other off the end of his bed. He kicked it a little, looking down rather than at Dennis as he undressed.  “May as well worry about this instead of anything else, I reckon,” he said just to talk. “Don’t want to think about how behind I am in Potions and I don’t want to write that Charms essay, and I’ve still got hours to kill until my patrol.” Hearing the creaking of Dennis’s bedsprings, Henry chanced to look up again. He was in his pajamas. It wasn’t unusual, in the last few months at least, for him to see Dennis in the plaid flannel in any spare hour. Henry just figured Dennis was the sort that liked to be comfortable. He was himself, though dressing and undressing and redressing was more trouble than he was willing to go to for it. He just tugged on his tie and rested his elbows on his thighs.

Chuckling softly at Dennis’s reply, Henry raised his eyebrows. “But you do it anyway, then?” He couldn’t have expected a cooler answer. Typical. “I won’t tell,” he said. If anyone had reason to believe Henry was no grass it was Dennis Creevey, fond of wandering the castle with liquor after hours and less fond of avoiding detection.

“You any good?” Henry asked, and then shook his head. “Have you got any tips, is what I mean to say.” He wasn’t actually sure there were any tips that would help him. Apparition was a simple enough action in itself. It depended highly upon individual concentration rather than a set of steps and tips and tricks, and the advice he tended to hear was too vague and cerebral for him to understand enough to apply. But there didn’t seem to be harm in asking—and he wanted to seem like there was a reason he was interested, like his conversational queries had a point.

Dennis expressed confidence in him, and Henry shrugged. “I’m okay,” he said. He didn’t ever like to call himself good at things. That denoted arrogance as well as bred expectations, and set him up for failure. It helped that he was never really good enough at things anyway; it wasn’t as if he were a liar when he modestly downplayed his abilities. That was just as irritating as conceit. “I’ve been doing alright in the practice,” Henry admitted to soften the denial a little. “Just—“ He grinned ruefully at Dennis. “Wouldn’t say I’m good under pressure, yeah.”

• Online Dennis Creevey
    • VANNAH
    • straight (?)
    • 340 Posts
    • Trophy Closet
    « Reply #5 on: Today at 03:53:01 AM »
    May as well? Dennis shrugged a bit, not really sure what to say. There were plenty of things that warranted actual worry, he thought. His mind trailed off in a more morbid direction for a moment, and he felt a little guilty in response. Besides, he thought distantly, he could relate. He didn't want to think about how behind he was in Potions either, and he definitely hadn't started his Charms essay. Dennis remembered choosing his upperclassman subjects; he'd picked the big three (charms, potions, transfiguration) because they'd seemed the most likely to get him a job after school. He'd been a lot more motivated back then, he thought. Henry's mention of patrol almost made him snort. It sounded so official to him, but Dennis found prefects hard to take seriously. The only authority he seemed to fear these days was magical law enforcement. After his run-in with them, and the hearing he'd been forced to attend, other points of authority had seemed less and less imposing.

He smiled his crooked smile at Henry's next words. "Cheers, mate," he said, thinking about an incident last month when he'd tried to sneak back to Gryffindor tower drunk and long after hours. Henry had found him wandering the halls and he'd ushered him to bed. He wasn't sure if Henry was taking this whole prefect thing very seriously. "Don't apparate into a wall," was the advice Dennis gave, shrugging again and scratching his bare chest absentmindedly. He'd never been a particularly chatty person, but Henry seemed able enough to fill in all the gaps.

"Really," Dennis said, not entirely sure what to follow that statement up with and trying to play it off like he was deep in thought or something. Wouldn't say I'm good under pressure. He turned that over a couple of times in his mind before speaking again. "Probably for the best," he said with a bit of a smile. "If you were better under pressure I'd probably have McGonagall on my case right about now." There was that one time when he and Clem had snuck back from outside of the castle late at night, and they'd run into Henry just as they made it to the common room door. It had been just after that big fight they'd had. The Gryffindor Prefect had just let them in then too, and hadn't brought it up again.

Dennis' words felt a bit more weighty after a moment of reflection, when he realised Henry would have also seen him pocket his flask, or the empty bottle(s) of whiskey under his bed. It was hard to live in the same room as someone and not notice these kinds of things. Dennis didn't really care too much about what the school administration might think about the drinking-in-school thing but it was guaranteed to bring the kinds of awkward, tiresome interactions that he didn't want any part of. "Cheers for that too," he added thoughtfully.
    « Last Edit: Today at 04:11:07 AM by Rémi Park »

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

Static Affiliates

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
    Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!