July 21, 2019, 01:06:11 AM

Author Topic:  Your Journey Begins Here (Graeme)  (Read 484 times)

Graeme Becker [ Professor ]
40 Posts  •  30  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Louise
  • I am my own worst critic. As in I am not good at criticising myself. I am fantastic. Well done me.
  • Shipper Sandbox
Re: Your Journey Begins Here (Graeme)
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 03:54:49 AM »
Beck was somewhat in awe of Timothy.  From their discussion, he’d already know that his colleague favoured an unconventionally casual and friendly approach in his classes, but it was quite something else to see how he interacted with the students – and how they reacted to him.  The smiles seemed genuine when they greeted him.  There was no sense at all that they were perturbed by the unexpected appearance of one of their Professors in their midst.  The convoluted (handshake?) greeting Timothy went through with one of the kids was clearly something they’d practised and it brought laugher all around.  Then he was cracking jokes and they were laughing some more. 

Beck didn’t know if he could ever come close to having Timothy’s rapport with the kids.  He’d probably need to stick around for more than one year for that.  The DADA Professor didn’t know what kind of teacher he wanted to be really.  ’A good one’ sounded dreadfully unimaginative.  It wasn’t like all professors behaved as Timothy did; in fact, the young wizard was probably an outlier in that respect.  Beck considered himself a pretty easy-going, approachable guy – maybe not as casual as Timothy, but also not as formal and restrained as some of the others.  Did he care if his students liked him?  Well, he’d like for them to like him, people generally participated better in lessons when they felt engaged, but he’d hardly lose sleep over it if they didn’t. 

When Timothy threw a joke his way, Beck guffawed appropriately but otherwise remained quiet as he followed the other man out onto the grounds.  There were millions of things to think about, not least of all: What kind of Professor was he going to be?  Why hadn’t the boats worked?  And, how does a Muggle do their banking?

Arriving at the boathouse Beck perked up noticeably.  “Are you kidding?!”  He replied with indignant amusement.  “It’s great!”  Like any other part of the school, the boathouse was saturated with history.  If only stone could talk!  Immediately Beck began poking around, although nothing unusual immediately jumped out at him.  Still it was fascinating to imagine all of the generations of students that had crossed the lake on the boats.  Where were they now and what were they doing?  Had they known back then, on their first day of school, that they’d end up as politicians, healers and aurors?  Beck’s curiosity and thirst for knowledge (even of the seemingly irrelevant kind) was insatiable.  He wondered who had first built the boathouse and why?  The original founders?  It occurred to Beck that the use of thestrals to draw the main school carriages was unusual and he speculated that that particular method of transportation might be relatively new to the history of the school.  What might they have used before?  Turning back to Timothy he shared some of his thoughts out loud. 

“Do you think the boats have only ever been ceremonial?  Or did they once serve some practical purpose?  The origin of their magic and what it was meant for might provide some clue as to why they stopped working.”  Beck couldn’t imagine it would have been very practical to send the entire school across the lake by boat, although there were likely times when the population had been smaller.  Beck was oblivious to the grin that stretched across his face as he mused over the logistics of some long past Hogwarts.  “I hope we can resolve the problem before the end of the school year.”  He added almost absentmindedly.  “It would be a shame for the graduating students to miss out on the return trip.”
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:58:31 AM by Louise »

2119 Posts  •  23  •  Homosexual  •  played by William
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 12:01:55 AM »
Timothy smiled at Graeme's excitement at the boat house. Timothy had grown quite used to it by this point, however he was exactly the same the first time he saw it. It was almost mythical in it's appearance. "From what I understand, this boathouse is nearly as old as the school itself. When they were building the school, the founders knew that they wanted this place to be one of the safest, if not THE safest places in the Wizarding world so that meant that they couldn't have anyone just walking up to the front door. I don't quite recall, but I believe it was Ravenclaw that suggested the boats. It was something that could be controlled, monitored, and observed freely from the castle. Hogwarts' initial population was much more isolated than it is now so things were handled a bit differently back in the day. The process was far less complicated and not always year exclusive. However as the school grew into prominence, it was decided that these boats just couldn't carry the load that they needed to."

Timothy stepped down into one of the tethered boats. "Truth told, these boats have very little special properties removed from their enchantments. They're old, rickety, and nothing any different that what you would find on a lake in the Muggle world. But that's exactly what was sought. There wasn't a need for something grand and large at the time and there isn't really one today. However, what that affords us is a better chance at finding fault with them if there's anything noticeable. The problem is that there hasn't been anything noticeable with them at all. Unless of course you can see something we cannot."

Graeme Becker [ Professor ]
40 Posts  •  30  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Louise
  • I am my own worst critic. As in I am not good at criticising myself. I am fantastic. Well done me.
  • Shipper Sandbox
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 08:33:01 AM »
Beck listened thoughtfully as Timothy explained what he knew of the history.  He ran his hands over the rough wood of the boats.  He peered into them and under them.  Yet if they held any secrets, they were not something to be spotted with the naked eye.  The DADA Professor stepped back, stumped.  He crossed his arms as he considered the boats from a distance, even tilting his head (as though the slight angle would help him notice something he had missed).  Stepping close once more he muttered a couple of testing spells, checking for what he knew of tampering or malicious curses.  The results were inconclusive. 

With a shrug of his shoulders, Beck admitted “I have no idea why they didn’t work”.  However, he still sounded intrigued rather than bitter or disappointed.  Even if he couldn’t solve the puzzle tonight, that didn’t mean he was going to abandon it. 

“We’re making an assumption,” he stated out loud as the realisation struck him, “that the boats are at fault.”  He rubbed his chin contemplatively.  “It could be some outside force or environmental factor.  Maybe the water?”  Beck eyed the lake suspiciously but that seemed an unlikely source.  The inhabitants of the lake were unlikely to suffer tampering of the waters without making some kind of fuss about it.  So far as he knew, there had been no complaints.  Magic was a funny thing though.  It didn’t always travel in straight lines.  Therefore there wasn’t necessarily a simple answer to any of it.  “It might have been something specific to the conditions on that night?  Or maybe a symptom of a larger problem…”

“Well.”  Beck rubbed his arms vigorously as though chilled.  “It doesn’t look like we’re going to find our answers tonight.”

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Hogwarts Anew
Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!