March 21, 2019, 07:09:28 PM

Author Topic:  [Kitchens] Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches [Gene]  (Read 82 times)

Murray Cowan [ Hufflepuff ]
40 Posts  •  17  •  Straight  •  played by Kelly
It was hard for Murray to believe he’d already been back at Hogwarts for over three weeks. All he wanted was for time to slow down just a little bit, but he knew there was no hope. It seemed the more he thought about the fact that he was in his seventh and final year, the quicker the minute hand moved. It was hard to believe that it was almost over. Murray had taken so many of his years at Hogwarts for granted, he now realized, with a promise to himself not to waste this year.

It was mid-Sunday afternoon, and it was pouring rain outside. Most of the Hufflepuff’s were sitting in the common room either catching up on homework or complaining that it was too wet to go outside. Murray had assignments that needed to be finished for the week but his schoolwork motivation levels were low. He could go to the library and try to convince an unsuspecting young Ravenclaw for help, which was his usual ploy. But even that sounded like more work than it was worth this rainy Sunday. And it didn’t help that when the common room was this crowded it was hard to focus on any one thing anyway, schoolwork or not. He stood up from his usual armchair by the fire deciding on a walk to the owlery. He asked a group of third years that were huddled together at a table if he could have a spare piece of parchment and a quill, promising the safe return of the quill. He was due to send an owl to his mother anyway.

His feet led him out of the portrait and into the vacant corridor. He was three-quarters of the way up the staircase to the ground floor before changing his mind. There wasn’t a whole lot he needed to say in a letter that wasn’t the usual: how are you, it’s raining, classes are boring, etc. He would sound like a broken record, and he didn’t appreciate receiving letters that had very little substance so there was no pointing sending anyone else the same thing.

Murray turned around, folding up the piece of parchment and stuffing it and the borrowed quill into an empty pocket. He decided instead that a bite to eat was exactly the boost he needed that Sunday afternoon. To be fair, he did have an early lunch and supper was still a few hours away. Immediately the promise of food cleared all thoughts of the letter from his mind. He retraced his steps back toward the Hufflepuff common room but instead of going all the way to the end of the corridor, he stopped in front of the oil painting of a bowl of fruit that he knew too well. A preview of that evening’s dessert sounded incredible to the badger.

Before he could lift his hand, Murray heard footsteps approaching from behind him, the same way he had just came. He whipped around with a grin already plastered on his face and spotted @Gene Horowitz, a Gryffindor in the same year as Murray.

“You hungry?” Murray called as Gene approached. He leaned towards the painting and tickled the pear.

Gene Horowitz [ Gryffindor ]
30 Posts  •  17  •  Obsessed  •  played by Lianne
Re: [Kitchens] Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches [Gene]
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:57:06 PM »
He'd started seventh year optimistic. For himself, not for the state of the world or whatever, but optimistic nonetheless. And, of course, that went straight to the dogs within the month. First the boats, then his classes had finally finally finally kicked in and started being impossible. And he'd skipped class Monday and then lied to his teachers about it, and hadn't yet cracked and confessed to any of them. (Which was going to bite him in the rear eventually, but which he hadn't even intended to do in the first place, which was a point in his favour, but not much of one.)

Usually Gene kept his stories straight, but he hadn't bothered this time. It was one absence, and most of the teachers already knew he just missed class sometimes, and he'd only forgotten that Becker and Jaracas were brand new and therefore didn't, and doubted anyway that they'd bother to cross-reference his gut-instinct "Hospital Wing" story. And if they did-- it was his last year, he only had to deal with them for nine more months. Nobody would care, in the long run, right?

Other than his parents-- but Gene had been in a weird state that morning and written them lies, too. Said he was doing great (lie) and studying hard (lie) and letting his hands be (lie, lie, lie) and not lying (ha ha ha ha ha.) It was too late to take it back-- Boromir must be halfway to London now-- but he already wanted to, and was dreading the "Actually, I lied about all that" letter he'd have to send when his owl got back. (Though he suspected they'd already know, on account of the studying-hard bit.) All of this had put him in a bad mood and so, as was his wont, he was going to deal with it the easy way, by having lunch and then rereading whatever part of Lord of the Rings would depress him the fastest.

So no, he didn't particularly mean to or want to run into anybody he knew today, and had made it all the way to the basement before he ran out of luck. He hadn't been paying attention and Murray Cowan had already spotted him. "'Lo, Murray," he said. "You miss lunch, too?"

Murray Cowan was a loud sort, far more out-there and agreeable than Gene was, and today it made a welcome distraction. Gene caught up quickly to the other boy as the portrait swung open, and was caught frozen for a second as the smell inside overwhelmed him. Yes, he was hungry, very much so. He gestured for Murray to go in first, and remarked as he followed him inside, stepping around the house elves, "You know you've got a quill sticking out of your pocket? That's liable to break eventually. D'you know where they keep the spare sandwiches?"

there is absolutely no excuse for what i'm about to do

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:35:31 PM »
“No I didn’t miss lunch,” Murray replied casually. “I guess I should have ate more, or taken some to go,” he laughed. The badger gave the house elves a friendly wave as he entered the kitchen alongside Gene.

“Good call about the quill, thanks for the reminder,” he said with an honest grin to Gene’s mention of the quill. Murray had already forgotten about it. He made a mental note to try to remember not to forget to give it back to the third year. He’d probably forget. Oh well he’d give them one of his quills if they asked.

But Murray actually laughed out loud when Gene asked about the sandwiches. “They’ve got better treats than sandwiches down here,” he said as he wandered further into the kitchen. The copies of the four house tables were already laid out with silverware and goblets, ready for that evenings supper.

“What’s for dessert tonight, friends?” Murray asked the crowd of house elves that were busy darting in multiple directions preparing for the upcoming meal.

“Rhubarb pie, Master Murray!” One of the smaller house elves squeaked as he whizzed by holding one of the pies in both of his hands. It looked delicious and smelled as though it had just come out of the oven. Murray followed the little elf over to the table where all of the pies were sitting to cool.

“They look fantastic!” he exclaimed to the closest group of elves that all slowed enough to bow in unison before returning to their duties.

“Care for a piece of pie, Gene? I’m sure they’d let us test one out.” Before the words were even fully out of his mouth one of the elves picked up the first pie that had been cooked and brought it over, setting it down on the end of the double Slytherin house table. Another house elf followed quickly behind with two dessert plates and two forks. “You’re the best, honestly,” Murray winked at the elves with a massive smile.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:06:02 PM by Kelly »

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 06:36:54 AM »
Gene always thought of himself as an easygoing person up until he spent any time with someone who was more easygoing than he was, and he always thought of himself as a fun person up until he spent any time with someone who was clearly getting more out of life. He didn't think it'd been that hilarious that he wanted a sandwich, though. He just wanted a sandwich. So he grinned with mild humiliation and said, "I kind of want a sandwich. I didn't eat lunch."

He was very open to persuasion, though. And rhubarb pie was undeniably more appealing than a cold sandwich-- but he resisted the temptation and asked one of the elves at his left for one anyway. It didn't take long, since nothing ever seemed to take long in the kitchens; he sat down next to Murray and said reluctantly, "It feels like cheating." Gene was sensitive to seeming dishonest, and had always thought it was more honorable to take leftovers or cold sandwiches than to take the pies that the house elves were cranking out for dinner.

His sandwich awaited, though; Gene took a few miserable and cold bites of it before he swallowed thickly and said, "So how're you? How was your summer?" As long as Murray was talking about himself, Gene wasn't, and now was a good time for Gene to not be talking about himself. And he was curious; they'd known each other for years, but he didn't really know him well. They were graduating this year; Gene was kind of kicking himself for not getting to know his peers as well as he should.

It didn't take long to finish his sandwich; it hadn't been particularly big, and Gene was hungry. He snuck one hand out to nudge the pie plate closer to him, lifted a slice onto his empty plate, and took a careful bite. It was sugary and too heavy, but not bad; he had another bite and swallowed it too fast. "It's good!" he said, a little strained.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 01:33:45 AM »
Murray grinned at Gene when he asked one of the house elves for a sandwich, shaking his head in mock disappointment.

"Ay my summer was alright," he gave a bit of a shrug, dishing himself out an entire quarter of the rhubarb pie onto his plate. Murray took a large bite, chewing slowly and swallowing fully before continuing. He always felt more relaxed after eating anyway. "I didn't really do too much," he admitted honestly with a shake of his head. "Just helped my family around the farm mostly, but my dad and I made it to two Magpies games which is always a great time." Talking about his quidditch team took on a new meaning now that he was on the Hufflepuff house quidditch team. He swelled with pride thinking about the note he'd been handed by Toby Draegel that told him he made first string keeper. On his first, only, and last try, seeing as it really was the last chance he'd have to make an impact this year.

"What about you? Anything exciting?" Murray questioned, reaching across the table to snag one of the crisply folded silver napkins that he hoped the elves might forget to replace, leaving one of the Slytherin's short their napkin for dinner. Unfortunately, as he was putting the napkin up to his mouth a stealthy elf was already replacing it. "Cheers," Murray gave the house elf a wink. He dug into a few more bites of pie, thinking he could probably eat another piece before he was done, and the other half for actual dessert after supper.

Murray laughed aloud when Gene tasted the pie. "Of course it's good! It's always good!" the badger said loudly, grinning broadly at the house elves. They loved the compliments; they absolutely lived for them and Murray knew that so he used it to his advantage whenever he could. "How was the sandwich?" he asked Gene, narrowing his eyes attempting a look that shouted, I don't really care if it was awful but you should audibly profess how great it was right now. Then he winked broadly at the Gryffindor.

"How come you've never tried out for the quidditch team?" Murray blurted out his question suddenly, realizing in that instant that he'd never seen Gene on the pitch before, even just to play for fun. Realizing immediately that the badger probably sounded a bit harsh, he quickly added, "I never tried out until this year because I figured I'd make a food out of myself in front of all the ladies." It was a joke of course, Murray rarely worried about what he looked like in front of women. The funnier and more ridiculous- the better, he generally felt. But he'd always been afraid of failing when it came to quidditch. He thought the deep-seated reason may have something to do with his father being so into the sport and so good at it himself. The thought of disappointing his father was difficult to think about for Murray.

He took another bite of pie to clear away his thoughts.

Gene literally forgot sometimes that people lived on farms and did farm things with their families. “Ah,” he said, hoping that it conveyed his ignorance on the matter (but not like, all his ignorance. Not that he’d forgotten farms existed.)

“Nothing really exciting,” said Gene. He didn’t know Murray well enough to feel comfortable gossiping about any of his classmates with him, so he settled on the other safe summertime events he could share: “Mostly palled around London. My grandmother turned 80, we had a little party. Well, we had dinner.”
This was even less exciting than being on a farm and going to two Quidditch games; Gene shut up quickly. His summer had been dominated mostly by political frustration and his London friends, and he didn’t want to get into either discussion right now.

Murray asked him how his sandwich had been with a very clear suggestion of giving a positive answer. Gene, who had not even particularly wanted the sandwich once he’d gotten it and had therefore not enjoyed it at all, said bracingly “It was good. Good sandwich.” This was addressed at large to the room; Murray had asked, but it sort of seemed like he meant it for the elves’ benefit, and Gene just wasn’t sure what the etiquette of any of this was.

He was just picky about sandwiches, was all— and he’d eaten it cold while Murray was eating pie, so of course he hadn’t enjoyed it much. It was only natural.

Murray asked his next question as though he’d only just thought of it, catching both of them off guard. “Oh,” said Gene, who had never gone out for Quidditch for the simple reason of it never having occurred to him to do so. “Er… I wasn’t much good at flying. Had a good broom, but the broom doesn’t make the player, you know? And, I dunno—”

Murray had said that not looking dumb in front of girls had been a driving force in his own decision, which Gene found almost hilarious. Surely there were ways to look stupid in front of girls that Murray could do very easily on solid ground. Definitely, Gene had found plenty. Not that he’d cared as much as Murray seemed to, lately. He could spoil a potential relationship with a girl in any of four hundred other ways, and Quidditch performance didn’t even make the bottom ten of that list.

The most obvious thing he could point to as to why he wasn’t a Quidditch player was himself and his personality; he gestured at himself, lanky legs and thin arms, as though this was all the explanation that was needed. “And I’m not an athlete.”

It’d been a weird question to ask; Gene tilted his head to one side— “You tried out, this year? Did you make it on? Or— d’you know yet?”

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Hogwarts Anew
Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!