May 26, 2019, 02:39:39 AM

Author Topic:  I ran into you like a crash of thunder [Barbie]  (Read 528 times)

Owain Hughes [ Gryffindor ]
56 Posts  •  15  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Ann
I ran into you like a crash of thunder [Barbie]
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:16:11 PM »
Owain was on a mission. He had decided, absolutely no excuses, that he was going to try and work out if Barbie felt anything for him. It was hard because she had given no indication of liking him more than friends and he was terrified of losing their friendship. But, he knew deep down, and thanks to several incredibly helpful Witch Weekly articles, that he had to try or he would be wondering forever. His mission was just, well, not very successful…

He had chickened out upon seeing her at the Sorting Feast, and then while hanging out together in the library. And then he began to ask her down at the lake, but when she turned her head up to look at him with her brilliant blue eyes he lost what he was going to say, and asked her to watch him at Quidditch try outs instead. And he could feel Nell rolling her eyes at him behind his back. After all, he had injured someone with a bludger last year, who wanted to watch a repeat of that?! Not that a repeat would be happening, Owain assured himself. He had worked very hard all summer to actually concentrate on more than just whacking a bludger with as much force as he could.

So anyway, here he was, awaiting Barbie so that they could hang out after dance class. Owain would have been happy to just go straight from class to hanging out but apparently he needed to change out of his smelly workout clothes. Owain did not really notice the smell, but he was not the type to argue, especially on such a trivial issue. And Witch Weekly said that girls like men who smell good. He presumed she had gone to change as well, not that Barbie needed to. She did not smell or look bad in any way. Though apparently that was just something that he would never understand, according to his mum, who often took ages getting ready before leaving the house.

It was a grey, drizzly afternoon, the kind that happens frequently in Scotland in September, but Owain had already spent most of the day cooped up inside and was not about to let the weather prevent him from fresh air. So, like he had informed Barbie before they parted ways, he was in their alcove just off one of the secondary courtyards. A small covered space with a stone bench that Owain had found during his first year and immediately shared with Barbie upon her arrival to Hogwarts. It was accessed by cloisters but open in that if he stretched his hand far enough out, he could feel the moisture start to gather on his fingers. He could run out into the rain if he so desired. They could hang out here, usually, without interruption and just be themselves. Barbie and Owain, best friends. Not students or playing any other kind of role.

Owain struggled to keep still as he waited and instead ran over what he had learned in class before Barbie arrived. He had again not been partnered up with her and, while his current partner was great, she just wasn’t as great as Barbie. Performing his routine, Owain focused on the parts he enjoyed most, leaping from side to side completing pas de basques. Resting his hand on the cold stone wall as he turned to start in the other direction, he saw Barbie approaching and smiled. As suspected, she looked great, even not in ballet clothes.

“Hey Barbie,” he called as she got closer, “whatcha wanna do?” Owain was never one to call the shots in their relationship, always letting her decide what they were going to do and when. Without waiting for a reply, he spun towards her and grabbed her hand to pull her into a loose twirl before releasing her towards the bench. The grey atmosphere seemed to lift in her presence and Owain was reminded about his mission. He at least had to try.

Smiling down at her, he asked softly, “did the sun come out or did you just smile at me?” Flying Firebolts, he hoped his palms were less sweaty than he thought they were, and that his heart would stop beating so loudly. The line had come from a letter writer in Witch Weekly, and although his friends had fake gagged when they had heard it, Owain was convinced it applied to Barbie. After all, she made everything brighter. He just hoped that she would give him some indication that it had worked.

@Barbara Gibson

[[OOC - not up Eiffel Tower but I’m in front of Degas’ Dance Class which I thought had more meaning ;) ]]

Barbara Gibson [ Ravenclaw ]
40 Posts  •  14  •  We'll see  •  played by nan
Re: I ran into you like a crash of thunder [Barbie]
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 07:36:45 PM »
Outside it was raining, and she had put her hood up and giggled all the way back from Hogsmeade after ballet, and giggled through her rushed reassurance that she’d go find him once she’d gotten out of her sweaty clothes and let her hair down. Barbara loved the rain in Hogsmeade but did not like her soaked socks and the mud on her shoes, and either way she’d just danced for hours and looked and smelled rightly disgusting. It didn’t take long at all to shower and get dressed, but it did take her a bit of time to comb her hair out and to play with it in the mirror, trying to gauge whether it was pretty when wet.

It would have to do. Owain was waiting, probably. Boys got changed so much faster than girls did, and she doubted he’d spent five minutes trying to primp his wet hair. Barbara, up in Ravenclaw Tower, was seven stories above his alcove—he liked to call it theirs but she doubted somewhat that he didn’t bring Nell or Alvar there, too—and even walking and skipping quickly down it took her some time to get there. There was a way to get in without having to run through the rain, going around the courtyard, but that wasn’t any fun. The only thing stopping her was that she’d only just changed into dry robes.

She could just take them off once she was under the roof, right? She’d be chilly, bare-legged under her dress, but it wasn’t like she’d die. Having made her choice, she scooped her hood back over her head and ran for it. Owain called out to her just before she got inside, asking what did she want to do— Barbara hadn’t really thought of that, and was grateful when he went to spin her, though the wet robes whipped unpleasantly around her ankles. “Oh, I don’t know,” she said. “Catch cold, probably,” she said, and gave him a grimace-y smile, mildly embarrassed at not having a better answer for him. “We could just sit. Talk about— I don’t know, divination. Herbology.”

He didn’t respond to that though, instead saying softly what had to be the sweetest thing any boy had said to anybody in the history of ever. Barbara stammered up at him for a moment, utterly flustered, and got out, “No, it’s still raining.” She pointed out at the courtyard, for illustration, as though either of them needed it pointed out. He must have been looking for a good answer to that question, and Barbie knew she hadn’t at all given him one, so she looked down and added sheepishly, “I think it’s lovely though. The rain.”

She could never shut herself up, so she shifted her weight back and forth on her toes and added, “D’you know, it rained like this when my parents got married? They used to talk about it all the time— they wanted it outdoors and had to move it inside the morning of.”

i'm like a bitter old man except i'm a teenage girl

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 10:49:31 PM »
Owain was disappointed. Of course it was still raining, he had not meant it like that after all. Even knowing that the courtyard behind him was still wet, Owain turned with Barbie’s extended finger, simple human nature to look where someone was pointing. His eyes confirmed what his brain knew, and he turned back to Barbie. She clearly had not understood what he had meant, maybe the phrase had not been as good as he had thought? He was going to have to be more direct. I think you are lovely he thought as he gathered his courage. Putting what he hoped was a “I’m going to say something serious but it’s really not bad serious” smile on his face, but probably came across more as a soft expression that looked like he was attempting to talk his way out of trouble, Owain gently grasped Barbie’s left hand in his right, looking down at the connection between them.

“Barbie,” he began quietly, slowly. He had slightly cut off her information on her parents’ wedding, but he already knew that. Even if he didn’t spend a lot of attention to Barbie’s mum, she spent enough time with his own mum that he had definitely heard her complaining about it before. He gripped her hand slightly, a little pressure reassuring him of their link. Still staring down at her delicate hand in his larger one, he continued, “I was wondering, you know, if,” Owain paused, his confidence faltering.

He glanced up into her expectant face. What if she didn’t feel the same way? No matter what, Owain could not ruin their friendship over this. It didn’t matter about all the reassurances his friends kept trying to give him that Barbie did in fact like like him, Owain could not risk it. His resolve shattered, his sincere expression changed into a mischievous grin. His grip on her hand tightened as he pulled her, walking backwards into the courtyard. “Dance with me,” he declared, not loosening his hold on her as he tugged her firmly towards him.

Once Barbie’s body had come crashing gently into his, Owain blinked away the drops of moisture that had started to pool on his lashes, before clasping his hands firmly around her back and holding them steady in the drizzle for a second, gazing down at her. Almost as if the seriousness building was suddenly too much for him to handle, Owain used his grip to lift the shorter student up at her waist, hoisting her up so Barbie’s feet were no longer on the wet ground. Her face against his shoulder, his buried in her light brown hair, he spun them round rapidly, allowing the force of the lower half of her body flying free to increase the speed. He happily waltzed around the courtyard, Barbie still in his arms as Owain allowed the tension that he felt inside of him to dissipate.

Eventually stopping, he lowered her back onto her feet, withdrawing his head to look at her again with a slightly flushed face from the display of exuberance. Despite the dampness permeating through his robes, Owain was happy in the little bubble he had created with the girl in his arms. This was how their friendship was. Close and survived storms. Continuing to move, this time turning in slow circles, he went back to the suggested topic that Barbie had come up with earlier. “So Madam Gibson,” he started formally, as if he was talking to a seer rather than his friend. “What do you see in our future?” He asked half jokingly, half suggestively. “Did your dreams predict doom or death?” Professor Trelawney always gave out higher marks to predictions of catastrophe rather than joy. And Owain was always happy to come up with something to get the extra marks.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 06:31:52 AM »
He was holding her hand.

Barbara was surprised enough that she didn’t drop it immediately, just looked up at him to see if she could gauge what he meant by that. He said her name quietly; she said, a little too quickly, “Yes?”

He was holding her hand. And she couldn’t catch his gaze, which meant he was actively trying not to make eye contact with her. Barbie felt his hand tighten slightly around hers; she squeezed back, as a half-baked gesture of encouragement. It didn’t help much, Owain seemed reluctant to say anything to her once he’d finally looked at her. Feeling inexplicably disappointed, Barbie bit her lip.

Not one to dwell in their uncomfortable almost moment, Owain grinned and pulled her out to the courtyard. It was still raining hard; Barbie squinted upwards and then shook her head, letting little drops fly out around her. “We’ll get all wet,” she protested, allowing him to tug her closer. He picked her up easily and she shrieked with laughter for the few seconds he spun her around.

Owain didn’t seem like he was about to let her go, either, even though he’d set her back down. Barbie gently brushed him off and made a little show of brushing off her robes, though it was hopeless now: they were soaked through. Owain was still dancing in front of her, in a little circle; politely, Barbara turned around herself to stay facing him, and shook out her robes. “Soaked through,” she told him. “Oh, my hair’s a mess now, isn’t it?” To illustrate this, she brushed her hands hard through her hair, combing drops of water out of her curls.

She faltered at his question, though— surely he wasn’t going to make her ask him out. What did she see in their future? It took all of her willpower not to blurt out that she kind of wanted to marry him. That was stupid. And they weren’t old enough. And— oh, he’d meant in Divination. “Well, Sir Hughes,” she said, adopting a posh tone to mimic his. “My dreams haven’t predicted much of anything, lately. I think the textbook’s sort of rubbish for this purpose. I can never decide if the Quidditch one is a flying dream or a falling dream or a chasing dream, and they mean exactly opposite things anyway. And I don’t even play Quidditch!”

She already knew what his answer would be, but she asked anyway: “What’re you saying you see in our future?”

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 11:49:27 AM »
“No, you look gorgeous,” Owain was quick to assure his companion. And despite the curls sticking to her face, and all the other problems he was sure Barbie was currently assessing, what Owain said was the truth. He had known her for years and she had always been pretty. Standing together in the rain, her earlier laughter still visible on her face, she looked beautiful. He always failed to see how she couldn’t recognise that herself but Witch Weekly said some were insecure like that. His mum said that beauty was in the eye of the beholder or something like that, but Owain knew that Barbie was ‘gorgeous’ beautiful and not only pretty to him.

He couldn’t help but grin pathetically at her. Barbie’s Quidditch rant was adorable, and Owain was reminded of his vow that one day he was going to get Barbie into flying with him. She would love it if she just gave it a chance! “Well Madam,” he began, grasping her hand again so that he could bow over it, as if they were meeting at a courtly ball about 200 years ago, “if you’re dreaming of Quidditch then I think that’s a sign that,” he paused and his tone changed as Owain used his grip to pull her back into his movement, “you actually want to go flying!” The formal attitude over, Owain had shifted back into eager teenage boy. “Come flying with me Barbie,” he wheedled, “you get to fly, fall, chase and soar all at once. That’s what makes it so brilliant!” He tried to think of some way to explain it to her, “a stuffy textbook will never be able to sum up that feeling. Complete freedom!”

Consciously stepping back his enthusiasm for, as much as Owain wanted it, he doubted Barbie would go flying with him anytime soon, he threw her a line that he knew would wind her up. “Just make it up,” his philosophy for divination and the source of their many disagreements on the subject for Barbie was much too studious to simply make things up. Grinning cheekily, he backed out of reach of her reaction, holding his hands up in mock surrender. Even as a joke it was still scary when Barbie was annoyed at him.

Our future?” He parroted back, stepping closer to her once again. There was many things he wanted for their future. Some in the distant future, some in the immediate. Most involved clarifying their relationship status and the positive consequences of that. And Owain had already decided that this was no longer the time to try bring these things up. Instead he decided that it was exactly the right time to drag Barbie into a loose version of the Gay Gordons around the courtyard with no music. Being Welsh himself, it was actually the Gibson family that had taught him Scottish country dancing and the sheer hilarity and joy that was a ceilidh. Twirling her under his arm before polka-ing in a wide circle, Owain considered his answer.

“I see,” he smiled mischievously, “you and me on a broom. Soaring through the air! And for once you’re not hitting me until we land!” Forward two three, back two three. Keeping the dance moves going as they talked. “But like, obviously, for Trelawney’s benefit we must suffer some horrific fate and crash into the Whomping Willow and die in a fiery explosion. I want to get a good mark after all.” Owain was nonchalant in talking about their potential deaths, having now had two years of divination in which to predict the best kind of accident. His brain maybe did not acknowledge that being glib about dying with the girl he liked may not be the best plan.

[[OOC: okay, alright, I couldn’t resist… y’all don’t know what you’re missing out on. Scottish dancing is the best]]

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 10:54:12 PM »
As Barbie saw it, having a recurring dream about falling off a broom was not a sign that her subconscious wanted her to play Quidditch, but it was hard to say no to Owain when he was so excited about it. “Oh maybe,” she said instead, rolling her eyes and grinning in a way that she hoped would communicate that she meant no. Barbara Gibson was not, Merlin forbid, a Quidditch-playing sort.

He must have said his next bit— just make it up— specifically because it’d annoy her. “I wouldn’t,” she swore, and she let her voice take on a scolding tone as she went on, “And you shouldn’t, either. What’re you even taking divination for, if you’re making things up? It’s serious business!”

She let him pull her along in a little polka. Owain felt very eager right now to dance with her, and a fantastical, ridiculous, romantic part of her brain wondered if he didn’t just want an excuse not to let go of her hands. It was a silly thing to imagine— but she liked the thought. Liked it enough that she didn’t resist, even though it felt pretty foolish to prance around the courtyard in the rain like this. And, a moment later, she didn’t even need to fake the discomfort she felt at his nonchalant description of their fiery deaths. “Let me just— catch my breath,” she said, letting go of his hands. 

Owain hadn’t grown up like Barbie had, she always had to remind herself. Owain hadn’t spent as much time as she had around the dead, or the grieving. That was why he was this way.

“No point in killing the Willow too,” she said, after a moment, not looking directly at him. “But I guess it’s only a prediction, right? No chance I’m getting on a broom with you, anyway.”

She cupped her hands in front of her and watched water collect in them; “It’s so cold,” she remarked, then— “Come on, I’m soaked through— we should get out of the rain.” With that she hurried back into their little alcove, and busied herself fussing with her hair and stripping off her robes, stamping her feet and shaking out her arms as though it’d help her dry off faster, finally looking back up at her friend. She’d cut their conversation off abruptly, and though she didn’t feel bad about it— she hadn’t wanted to talk about dying— she hoped he wasn’t sour.

But, for the moment, she couldn’t think of anything intelligent to say, so she wrung her hair out and said instead, “Ew.”

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 12:22:36 AM »
Owain let her go as Barbie withdrew, although part of him wanted to reach out and pull her back. He always felt more comfortable with physical proximity than she did though, relying on actions rather than words. He just always seemed to mess up with words. Like right now. Owain could tell he had upset her, but he didn’t understand how or why. She knew Professor Trelawney’s fondness for death and destruction as much as the rest of the divination class did. It wasn’t as if he was actually suggesting that dying in a giant fireball was how he wanted to go. In fact, Owain was sure that actually rated pretty low on ways to die.

He just nodded in response to her though, unwilling to contradict her although disappointed with her words. Confirming his doubts and fears. She didn’t like him like that. No chance, as if it was just ridiculous to even think about. Why would she ever want to spend time with him in that way? Barbie clearly just saw them as friends and nothing more. As much as he thought Nell was highly intelligent and normally always right, this was a case that she was wrong. Barbie did not like him the same way he liked her.

Owain followed her back into their alcove, downhearted but unwilling to leave. He would take their friendship over nothing any day. Staring, what he assumed was pathetically, at her as she struggled to get dry and warm, Owain suddenly realised he could do something about that. “Oh,” he said dumbly, fishing his wand out of his own soaked robe, “we learned the hot-air spell in Charms this week. I think I can dry us both off?” Slightly questioning, especially since while he hadn’t caused anything to explode while attempting the charm, it hadn’t exactly been a success. Now, what had been the silly wand action? Owain always thought he should be able to pick them up easier than he did. After all, he could pick up complex dance moves, and surely wand movements were just dancing with his hands?

“I’ll do it to myself first,” he said, looking at her affectionately, “don’t want to hurt you or anything.” With a complicated little wave that involved two specific flicks and a wrist rotation, Owain murmured, “ventus calidus,” and watched delightedly as a ripple in the air at the tip of his wand indicated that he had done something right. Pointing it at himself, he felt the hot air gush at him, the steam rising from where it hit his damp clothing. The stream of air was probably a little more direct than he had been shown in class, and Owain felt like he was being battered by the force of it. Nonetheless, it managed to dry him off as planned, leaving him surrounded by the slight frying sound of the steam being expelled from his robes.

“Em, it’s a big stronger than I expected,” Owain called over the sound of the whoosh of air. “Brace yourself,” he said warningly as he turned his wand towards her. Very careful not to point it at her face, he held his wand low, directed at her stomach. Now that she had rid herself of robes, Barbie was only clad in a dress, and Owain did not think he would be in her good books if the gust of wind caused her skirts to blow up. Once satisfied that she looked a lot drier, and hopefully warmer, than when he had started, Owain dropped the spell. He hadn’t touched her hair, knowing that blasting a girl’s hair with uncontrolled hot air was never a good idea.

Smiling sheepishly at her. After all, it was kind of his fault she was wet in the first place, Owain sat himself on the bench. If he sat down then he would not be tempted to repeat the move of dragging her out to dance with him. He sat sideways, his back against the wall and his feet on the bench with knees bent. Hugging his legs with his arms, head bent to rest on them, he gazed at her curiously wondering if she was still annoyed at him. “I need to make it up Barbie,” he said eventually, referencing their previous conversation. “She wouldn’t give me any grade if I just wrote that I don’t have dreams at all. I can’t fail everything. I’m not as smart as you or Nell.” He may be trying desperately to avoid both the conversation and the thoughts but Owain was actually worried about his OWLs. What would happen if he got none?

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 12:18:05 AM »
He was so thoughtful! Drying them off like that! She hadn’t even asked! It was driving her mad, all this. Someone as thoughtful and considerate as Owain, if he liked her, would have said so. Wouldn’t he have?

But she couldn’t think about that. He sat on the bench, looking weirdly woebegotten, and Barbie sat down next to him. She was wearing a skirt and it wasn’t proper to mirror his pose, not at all, but she leaned likewise into the wall and tilted her head up to watch him with amusement as he went back to the topic of Divination. Owain was so normally energetic that it always caught Barbara off guard when he was quiet and still, like this. He was pretty, she remembered. In a weird, not very classical way. But he was.

“Come on, now, not dreaming at all has to be a sign too,” said Barbie, a little reproachfully. “Sign that you aren’t cut out for Divination, at least. Cheer up—” with this last, she prodded him playfully in the arm. “Divination isn’t for everybody. We aren’t all Seers, you know.”

The rain was still drumming out on the courtyard; she glanced over at it just to appreciate how quiet everything seemed. “I mean, I like the idea that we can tell what’s going to happen,” she said, not really sure if she was trying to make a point or not, “But it’s okay if you can’t.” That had been her greatest failing in Divination, thus far— she wanted so badly to be able to read the future, but she’d accepted of late that maybe that wasn’t good for her. And even if she could read the future, she knew already that she probably couldn’t change it. That made her sadder to think about, knowing the future and having no power over it.

Merlin, she was a lousy Ravenclaw.

Barbara glanced back up at him. Their mood had collectively gone quickly down after she’d brought them back under a roof, and she felt bad for not feeling too guilty. She was used to being pensive and quiet, was all. “You know you’re plenty smart, too,” she added.

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 05:18:53 PM »
Owain smiled at Barbie’s attempt at comfort. He wasn’t one to mope around for long but was content to let her talk, just letting her insights wash over him comfortingly. That was the good thing about being friends with someone for so long, the easy silences. He let him foot dig gently into Barbie’s side, almost to reassure her that he was still next to her, and sat quietly for a few moments, his thoughts easily drifting to the dance class they had both been in beforehand.

And dinner. Part of him was also thinking of dinner.

“I don’t think I’d like to be a Seer,” he said finally, breaking the blanket of silence that had fallen where the only sound had been the patter of rain. “Don’t you think, like, knowing would take all the fun out of life?” Although, he would like to know about Barbie’s feelings towards him, but everything else… “If I knew I wasn’t going to get on the Quidditch team, would I bother to try out?” He paused, unaware how philosophical he was getting. “I did try out by the way,” digging his foot slightly further into her side, “I didn’t hit anyone this time… not that you would know Miss Gibson, you didn’t come see!” He pouted at his friend’s absence, despite knowing that watching other House’s tryouts was regarded by some as suspicious.

Giving her a grin, to show that there was no real hard feelings on the matter - when could he ever be annoyed at Barbie for anything? - he continued. “Part of the excitement is not knowing.” His brain then foolishly brought up his association with a club that Barbie certainly did not approve of. “Could you imagine how boring rat racing would be if I knew that Bertie was going to win each time?” Wishful thinking maybe, but Bertie was improving. Slowly. Very slowly.

“Trelawney is soooooo loopy half the time. And the other half thinks we’re all going to die. Does anyone really want to be like that?” Owain certainly did not see any appeal in emulating the witch who spent most of her time locked up in the Divination tower. “Seeing things and unable to change them. I’m sure I’d just hide in bed all day.” He looked up, directly at Barbie, again nudging her to ensure her attention. “And I certainly don’t wish it on any of my friends.” The especially you part was implied. They may have mucked around when they were younger with fake crystal balls and the like, but Owain knew Barbara took it a lot more seriously than he did. And sometimes she just needed to lighten up.

“Barbie, Barbie, Barbie,” he singsonged before she could get lost in her thoughts again. Owain was getting restless, and swung his legs down from the bench to sit properly on it, his shoulder nudging into Barbara’s own. “Play with me,” he wheedled, probably sounding slightly like a toddler who had been attention starved for all of two minutes, “school is so bleurgh and it’s a Saturday after all!” He stuck his tongue out with the mention of school, no doubt confirming his maturity level.

“Nia told me that mum’s trying to get your mum to go on a girlie weekend with her,” Owain said, the thought suddenly popping into his head. “What’s a girlie weekend? Is it like the times I get chucked out the house so mum, Nia and Nell can have,” he used his fingers as quotation marks, “important girl talk in the kitchen?” He expected Barbie to have the answer. Not only was she a girl. And yes, he was very aware she was a girl. But Owain always just naturally assumed that she usually knew things before him. “Are they fun? Minus the expensive chocolates they all seem to eat, they don’t really do much.” He frowned, “I get in trouble if I even touch those chocolates!”

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 05:57:09 AM »
Barbara was glad that, even though his mind had gone in the same silly fatalist direction hers did, it had gone that way in a significantly more lighthearted way. She elbowed him a little and said, “Well, if you don’t try out because you know you won’t get it, then of course you won’t get it.” It was hard to think about the implications of seeing the future, but she let herself grin a little bit at the absurdity, and then laughed out loud as he added, with good nature, that he hadn’t even hit anybody during Quidditch tryouts this year.

“I’m glad to hear that, then,” she teased. “I’m sorry I didn’t go. I know I should’ve.” Even if she wasn’t a real Quidditch fan, it should have been polite, to go and support her friend. It’d slipped her mind, was all. She couldn’t help but wrinkle his nose at his next point, though— “Well, I don’t think it’s fair to Bertie that he’s being raised like a greyhound. Poor thing.”

He was still on about Divination— Barbie regretted bringing it up at all, now, but she held his gaze with a kind of forlorn amusement. “Wouldn’t wish it on you either,” she promised. “But come on, now— Trelawney isn’t loopy. Or—” Trelawney was undeniably loopy, was the problem. Barbie just thought that was rude. “Well, you shouldn’t say she is,” she finished, decidedly.

Barbie Barbie Barbie!

It was sweet the way he said her name, roundly and singsong. Barbara liked it when he said it, liked the way her name sounded in his voice. “Play with you,” she repeated, dubiously. There wasn’t much she could do but laugh, and she stuck her tongue out to mimic him for just a moment, before she put it back and covered her mouth, mortified. “Well, we can run in the rain later, I’m sure,” she said, through her fingers. “Just let me dry off a bit, is all.”

Barbara, today, did not want particularly to think about their mums— although undeniably, a “girlie weekend” with Mrs. Hughes would be much better than the girlie weekends her mum was having alone. “Probably the same thing,” she agreed, a little bit snootily. “Except they’re adults, so they can drink and travel, too. I reckon it’s just normal girl talk. Maybe more grown up—” she eyed him, just to make sure he didn’t say anything uncouth to that. “You wouldn’t get it,” she finished, and grinned. “And the chocolates are important, you know. Necessary.”

There was not much she liked more than being a girl, if only for the exclusivity of things like this; just to reassure him she was mostly joking, she elbowed him in the side again and giggled.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 08:59:09 PM »
Owain laughed along with Barbie, “I feel left out you know,” he said, only half joking. He knew that girls had to have their alone time and all that, and Owain was definitely not interested in some of the things they discussed. Nell thought that his cousin Sam was hot and that! She was free to talk about that as far away from Owain as possible. But, his closest friends were females. The thought that they could go off and do things without him did worry him. He really didn’t like being left out of things. Especially fun things!

“Maybe I deserve fancy chocolate every so often!” He said before changing the subject. He wasn’t one to dwell, especially on his mum’s social life. After all, Mrs Gibson and his mum going away for the weekend to eat chocolates and discuss girlie things was just not very interesting. He could think of at least ten better ways to spend a weekend. But his mum definitely had a different definition of fun to him.

“Okay then. Would you rather….,” Owain and Barbie had been playing their version of this game for years. Whenever they were in a situation that meant they were sitting down and unable to leave. It was usually waiting for dance rehearsals and the like, but Owain thought that keeping them out of the rain was another situation where he had to be kept entertained. Otherwise he would no doubt give in to the impulse to continue to dance around, once again soaking Barbie and annoying her.

He smirked, having come up with an appropriate choice, “would you rather dance with a veela, or swim with a grindylow?” By Owain’s standards it was a relatively tame choice. It certainly wasn’t emotional or deep, but Owain did not feel like being either emotional or deep at that moment. Plus, Barbie would get to return the question and he didn’t want anything too personal right now, especially when he was still hurting over her earlier rejection. If he was playing with other friends, or in particular Nell, the choices would be far more pointed, designed to embarrass or force the other to make difficult decisions. But he and Barbie weren’t really like that. He definitely did not enjoy making her uncomfortable in the slightest, while with others he normally just felt cheeky.

He knew which one he’d pick, as the image of Barbie awkwardly trying to waltz with a fire breathing half bird came into his brain. Veela over grindylow anyday! Owain’s only experience of veela had been at the Quidditch World Cup when he was around 6 years old. They had been very pretty he remembered, until they got angry. But he had been more interested in the leprechauns back then to pay attention to veela dancing. Grindylows however were vicious creatures and he would definitely not like to take his chances in the water with one. Drowning? Another way he definitely did not want to die.

He sat, eagerly poised for Barbie’s answer, feeling the side of her body against his. Had he been the one to edge closer until there was no room between them? Probably. Owain knew he was terrible at keeping still. Even now, the tingles he felt from lightly touching left him wanting to simultaneously pull her into a tight hug while also jumping backwards and pretending that he wasn’t trying to subconsciously merge them together. He just liked being close to her.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 04:42:14 AM »
She was grateful that he’d changed the subject; she didn’t want to think about her mother any more than he seemed to. For the moment she was overcome with gratitude that he knew her so well, that he knew when they needed to shift to a conversation that said nothing of any meaning at all.

“Dance with a veela, duh,” said Barbara. She gave him a playful nudge— “I’m a girl, silly. I’m immune to their charms. Would you rather…”

She shifted her seat, and realised only then that they were sitting dead next to each other, closer than comfortable. She frowned and made a show of stroking her chin, deep in thought, and scooted just a bit away, trying not to be obvious about it. “Would you rather eat an Acid Pop or a Cockroach Cluster?”

This was a easy answer for her— she was afraid of bugs, and did not like the idea of eating them at all, and anybody could easily fix the damage wrought by an Acid Pop with a little magic. Barbie combed her hand back through her damp hair, swept it back. Tilted her head to grin up at him. “Kiss a troll or a house elf,” she said.

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 11:00:04 AM »
She moved away. It may have been subtle but Owain, overthinking everything about their interaction and closeness, felt it. He shifted away as well, letting the space grow between them. Clearly she did not want to be near him.

“A cockroach cluster, obviously,” he replied immediately. He had eaten acid pops before and would rather not have another hole in his tongue, even if it was only temporary. “Though I know you’d pick acid pops,” he said, prodding her playfully. “Cockroaches are quite tasty actually,” he grinned, “kind of taste a bit like chicken but more crunchy.” Winding up Barbie was fun! “Always good to have a bit of protein in your snack!”

Owain had eaten cockroach clusters before on numerous occasions. Only as dares though because, despite what he was saying, they weren’t the type of thing you would snack on. And he had no idea if cockroaches actually tasted like chicken. The only thing he really remembered was the crunch. And that his tongue was still intact at the end, leaving them higher than acid pops on his scale of good sweets. Obviously, chocolate frogs were at the top of the list. There really was nothing that could beat a good chocolate frog.

“Emmmmm,” he paused, thinking over her next question. A troll or a house elf? I would rather kiss you! he almost said, but contained himself just in time. “Obviously…” still thinking, he looked down at her beautiful smile. She really was something, even when she was making him make a choice between two disgusting things. “Wait, does it need to be with tongue?” He asked suddenly, as if that would change his answer.

“Never mind. I choose troll.” Owain finally selected decisively. “I’d run up to it, snog it and run away before it could bash my brains in. At least it would mean both me and the troll would hate it!” His face scrunched up as he considered the alternative. “What if I kissed a house elf and they liked it? I don’t want a house elf following me around all the time!” He grabbed her hand with both of his and got off the bench quickly to kneel before her. Beseechingly, he looked up and begged. “You’ve gotta protect me if a house elf falls in love with me! Please Barbie!”

He laughed merrily at his play acting, but made no move to either let go of her hand or get off the cold ground. “Okay, your turn. Would you rather your friends thought you smelled like sweaty socks or that all your meals tasted like troll bogies?” He grinned. Sweaty socks all the way! He would rather have nice food and listen to his friends moaning than not.

“and…” he thought of his second one, “spend a night in the Forbidden Forest or a week in Azkaban?” Following the events of the dome, Owain would choose Azkaban. He knew the number of awful creatures that lurked in the forest. And even then there was probably still worse out there. At least Azkaban had guards.

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 07:33:57 AM »
“Oh, eurgh,” scoffed Barbie, and wrinkled her nose as they both grinned at his teasing. “So gross.” Leave it to a boy to not mind eating bugs.

He spent a little too long to think about her next question, looking a little too intently at her. There was no way, she thought, that this was something he did for everyone, right? But he was friendly, and Gryffindor, and she thought she remembered her sister being like this. Bold and friendly and inappropriately personal. It was no wonder their parents had been so insistent on etiquette once she’d been old enough. After a moment Barbie glanced away from him, looked straight ahead and kicked her feet a little bit and tucked her hands under her thighs— then glanced back at him with shock at his question. “Owain!”

She hadn’t thought about the tongue, was all. As much as Barbie had thought about kissing people (when she was sitting right next to Owain she was going to determinedly think of the hypothetical as though he were faceless and without identity) she had never really put much thought into where their tongues would go. She frowned with concentration— “Er… without tongue.”

A troll over a house elf? “So gross,” she said, and laughed. “You ever smell a troll? ‘Sides, you can just tell a house elf not to follow you around and they’d stop, probably. Not like I’d be much protection if that didn’t work.” He was kneeling in front of her now, so she didn’t have range of motion to keep kicking her feet; she leaned forward and pulled lightly on his hand, to see if it would get him to stand up. “Right, your turn,” she said ruefully.

It was a fair question, this: less disgusting and a little bit darker. She frowned and thought quickly about what she knew about Azkaban. They’d gotten rid of the Dementors, now, she knew, but the thought still made her shudder— first in 1993, when she’d been just a little girl, and then again in 1997 when she’d been ten, there had been loads of the things swarming around Hogsmeade all the time, and they’d been awful. And even without them at Azkaban, she was positive that they’d left enough of a mark on that place, the same way Hogsmeade had seemed foreboding even after the Dementors were gone.

“Forest, definitely,” she said, without elaboration. “Would you rather… play Chaser or Keeper?”

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 03:57:28 PM »
He resumed his seat on the bench, kneeling on a cold ground grew uncomfortable after a while and Barbie had pulled him up slightly. He got the hint. Him kneeling in front of her apparently looked too ridiculous for her to handle. “I’ll warn the house elves,” Owain said with a grin. “Miss Barbara Gibson,” he squeakily imitated a house elf’s high pitched voice. Badly. “Blobby,” yeah, he didn’t exactly remember any house elf names off the top of his head, “would be most glad to kiss you. Blobby is honoured.” Owain leaned forward to plant a fake house elf kiss on her cheek. Except he didn’t. Because mid-lean he realised what he was doing. Oh Merlin.

Idiot!

He couldn’t have shot back quickly enough, blushing bright red. Suddenly anything that wasn’t Barbie was the most interesting thing in the world to look at. His hands. The rain. His shoes. The floor. The ceiling. His eyes kept jumping rapidly, never once pausing on their location, only determined to not look at Barbie. “Sorry,” he burst out, from his location huddled into the corner of the bench. Oh Merlin, what had he done!

“Chaser.” He replied instantly, just trying hard to move the subject on from his near miss. Did he even know what he was choosing between? No. It had just been the first word out of Barbie’s move that he had understood. Would he have chosen chaser if he knew the question was chaser or keeper? Probably not, although it was a hard choice for Owain to make. Really, the only quidditch position he had been interested in, ever, was beater.

His fluster was so great that he didn’t even notice that Barbie had not answered his other question. About socks or bogeys. But that was unimportant. He was just determined to move the conversation on. As if the more ‘would you rathers’ they exchanged, the faster what he had attempted to do would be forgotten. He really was stupid!

“Okay,” he said in a rush. Usually Owain took some time to consider his questions, trying to find difficult options. This time, he just wanted words out his mouth. The more words he said, the less space there would be for Barbie to ask him what in Merlin’s name he had been doing. “vomit slugs for a day or attacked bat bogeys a week for?” The words all tumbled out together and Owain was impressed that he had actually managed to string them together in a mostly correct sentence.

Idiot!

Still with a blush to his face, Owain smiled sheepishly and finally raised his head to look at Barbie’s profile, no longer pretending that the mud on his shoes was the most interesting thing in the world. Please don’t hate me he pleaded silently.

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Hogwarts Anew
Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!