December 13, 2019, 03:31:09 AM

Author Topic:  [Rat Race] My crew has my back... [OPEN]  (Read 553 times)

Owain Hughes [ Gryffindor ]
87 Posts  •  15  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Ann
[Rat Race] My crew has my back... [OPEN]
« on: March 20, 2019, 03:50:39 AM »
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:52:59 AM by Ann »

Carey Baisley [ Gryffindor ]
117 Posts  •  14  •  unsure  •  played by Chaw
Re: [Rat Race] My crew has my back... [OPEN]
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:42:17 PM by Chaw »

Murray Cowan [ Hufflepuff ]
87 Posts  •  17  •  Straight  •  played by Kelly
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 09:04:54 PM »
Murray didn't learn of the rat race club until he was in his third year at Hogwarts. He quickly found out that whilst he was in his second year, the meetings actually stopped because the Carrows were professors and being caught by either one of them was basically a death sentence. Murray started by attending the races every few weeks in his third year, and then as the years went on the only time he missed a rat race was if he was extremely sick. He didn't have his own rat, but he had made pretty solid relationships with some of the school rats that punctually showed up every Wednesday evening when called.

He made his way up and up the flights of stairs from the Hufflepuff common room in the basement to the seventh floor corridor that was the location of that nights race. Generally, Murray would have both of his pockets (and sometimes even his socks) full of sweets to use as bets on the races. Tonight however, Murray would be commentating. He'd taken his turn commentating a number of times since he was in his fifth year and (in his opinion) he was pretty good at it. Murray knew almost all of the other students' pet rats names by heart because of how long he'd been attending the meetings, so he was able to call the race in actual time without having to reference the colours of the rats. This was extremely convenient, especially on some Wednesday nights where it felt like the number of bystanders was such that people had to crane their necks to see the race.

Murray was moving the conjured race lines into place when Owain Hughes stopped to help him. "Thanks buddy," he said graciously, stepping back and looking at the finished product. It was the commentators responsibility before and during a race to make sure that the race lines stayed in place and didn't give any rat an unfair advantage. The little pieces of cheese at the finish line were already laid out perfectly centre with each lane. "Good to go," Murray said happily, carefully stepping between the lanes to stand on the opposite side of the track. The commentator was reserved the best position in the house in order to cleanly call the shots with a perfect view.

He cleared his throat loudly when all of the pet rats had been set down at the starting line. Murray took out his wand, pointed it at his throat and said, "sonorus". Thankfully, the helpful little charm magically amplified his voice to as loud as it needed to be in whatever setting he was in. For example, in the seventh floor corridor, his voice would be loud enough to be heard by all of the bystanders of the races, but not loud enough to carry around a corner that could lead to trouble.

"Welcome to the rat race! First up tonight is a crowd favourite... Pet rats! And it looks like they're ready to go," Murray glanced in the direction of the sixth year that was holding his wand steady, keeping the rats frozen in position at the starting line. "Well if you've made your bets, without further ado, let them go," he said, as the freezing charm was finished by the caster.

"And they're OFF!!" Murray said loudly, waiting to see which rats broke out into a lead before he made any predictions. He always took the opportunity as commentator to throw in a few comments and bets of his own while calling the race. "Looks like there's four speedy rats out to an early start, but oh- look at the two blue rats at the starting line attempting to crawl into each others lanes! They must new to the rat race game because I've never seen those rats before!" Murray began, pausing for a laugh. Sure enough, two of the smallest rats (that happened to be charmed blue) hadn't even started in the right direction. "Let's hope whoever owns those rats didn't bet much on this race..."

[OOC: Not sure who else wants to be involved, so I won't take the race too far until there's more participants and then Murray can call the rats by their names ><]

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 11:00:27 PM »

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 06:31:25 AM »

Murray Cowan [ Hufflepuff ]
87 Posts  •  17  •  Straight  •  played by Kelly
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 09:28:59 PM »
"It looks like Bertie is off to a solid start," Murray called, his voice magically magnified above the crowd. "But wait- what's this- Bertie has jumped on Cheesie!" he laughed loudly, as Owain's rat pounced onto the back of the little green rat named Cheesie, owned by a sixth year Hufflepuff. Murray glanced towards Cheesie's owner and gave him a wide grin. He'd watched his fellow Hufflepuff try to teach his rat to stay within the lines of a makeshift course he'd created in the Hufflepuff common room a few days prior, and the rat had done well. Apparently things change when there's another rat on your back!

He overheard Owain cheering on another rat, and then heard a third year Gryffindor cheering on that same rat. Valentine, they were shouting. "Valentine is running great down the track! I've never seen that rat before so he must be a first-timer!" As soon as the words escaped his lips, the white rat veered off to the side, clambering over a few lanes towards some bystanders. "Might need a little bit more practice in staying straight!" Murray commented, turning his attention back to the leader which was a shocking purple rat owned by one of his own friends. Priscilla the rat was always a slow starter, but somehow she managed to pull herself together toward the end of the race and stay on the straight and narrow path to victory.

"Priscilla is in the lead by about ten rat lengths to the closest follower... It looks like she may have the win!" The purple rat crawled forward. She wasn't speedy by any means but it was pretty obvious the cheese a few feet in front of her was her end goal. "And yes, Priscilla takes first place in the pet rat category!" Murray's eyes found his friend that owned the purple rat and he gave him a grin and a thumbs up. "Here come the stragglers... Valentine has managed to clinch second place in his first ever race! Great job!" The white rat crossed the line and immediately grabbed the cheese. The third and fourth place spots were extremely close. Bertie had crawled back off Cheesie and the two of them were heading straight towards the cheese, within the same lane. One of them would get there first and secure their prize while the loser would need to find cheese at the end of a different lane.

"Third place is going to be a close one! Both Cheesie and Bertie are running side by side only feet from the finish line!" Murray had moved himself so that he was positioned directly at the end of the track, ready to call out the third place rat if it was a close finish. "They're inches away now, and it looks like it's going to be Cheesie... Wait- no! Bertie has put on a burst of speed and is nearly- YES! Bertie takes third place! With Cheesie coming in a very close fourth," he took a deep breath and looked back down toward the starting line where there were three rats that had barely moved, including the two blue rats that were climbing all over each other in an attempt to get back to their owners.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 04:18:26 PM »

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!