October 15, 2019, 02:35:02 PM

Author Topic:  dreaming of a time and place [séverin]  (Read 370 times)

Elisabeth Sturm [ Ombrelune ]
122 Posts  •  17  •  Spargeltarzan  •  played by laura
dreaming of a time and place [séverin]
« on: March 23, 2019, 05:34:41 AM »

When Elsa had signed up for school beautification service she had been rather obvious about doing so. The conversation of services often came up within the first day or so of being back at Beauxbatons; everyone wanted to work with their friends, so they would sign up for the same services, and people had to be quick or else a service would get full and then you’d have to do something you really rather wouldn’t, potentially with someone you really rather wouldn’t. Sometimes it was easy for friends to agree on a service, other times it came down to bartering (“I’ll do your creatures homework for a month if you take Stable Service with me”).

Elsa had avoided such an issue, or she thought she had. She had understood something Séverin had said to her in Brazil to be a veiled invitation; she knew that catering to his whims was opening her up to setting a precedent, but it also – in her mind – made logical sense to take the same service so that they could work out things for the Quidditch team, if nothing else.

So far, nothing else.

“Knight to E-five,” she grunted out as she lifted a box of old equipment onto the bench to sort through. They were in the Quidditch changing rooms, figuring they might as well start by ‘beautifying’ an area they actually used – or would use – regularly. They’d been here for some time already, and had made a surprisingly decent effort thus far. She hadn’t thought they would genuinely be doing their service, but either she had misconstrued Séverin’s suggestion (or lack of), or neither of them was willing to be the first to ‘give in’, so to speak.

“Why do they keep all of this junk?” she asked, not particularly to Séverin. She paused and turned, hands on the edge of the bench and her back to it, and hoisted herself up to sit next to her box of disused bats and balls; punctured quaffles, bludgers that had lost their magic and were now just humming threateningly, practice snitches that had broken and bent wings. She reached her hands up above her head and stretched, elongating out her torso until she felt a satisfying click.

The German sighed and plucked one of the dysfunctional bludgers out of the box, spinning it between her fingers slowly. The conversation had been polite, so far, somewhat strained. They hadn’t really talked since Quidditch Camp. Not that they had ever really talked. “Have you thought about when you want our sessions to be?” she asked, shooting a cautious glance in his direction; she didn’t want to talk about Quidditch, or English lessons (actual English lessons), but she also didn’t want to be the first to talk about anything else.

@Séverin Desrosiers

b a d ,   b a d   n e w s :   o n e   o f   u s   i s   g o n n a   l o s e
i ' m   t h e   p o w d e r ,   y o u ' r e   t h e   f u s e

Séverin Desrosiers [ Ombrelune ]
31 Posts  •  Sixteen  •  Sapiosexual  •  played by Dylan
Re: dreaming of a time and place [séverin]
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:56:09 PM »
Things had been interesting between himself and Elsa since camp., but things were always interesting between them. He never really knew what to say to her, in all honesty. He never knew when they were being serious, when they were fighting, or when they were getting along. He just knew that he liked her, perhaps more than he should, and that it bothered him to no end. Things had been tense between them at camp. He’d made an ass of himself within the first few days and got the cold shoulder for most of the rest of the camp, until they finally (sort of) reconciled at the end. Well, enough that they were talking now, anyway. He had taken the hint when she was loud about her student service, and was happy enough hat they ended up together. While they were doing something rather boring, cleaning out the quidditch supply cabinet, they would be able to be alone. All things considered, he missed lone time with her during the summer. Even if they’d only had a few stolen moments the year before, he wanted more of that. Of course, he couldn’t just ask. He had to wait for it to be offered. Right? He wouldn’t be the first to crack. She would need to crack first.

“Queen to E-5. Check.” He smiled, knowing that she would take his queen more likely than not, but that was the plan. Sometimes you needed to make sacrifices in chess. He had a hard time playing chess and talking about other things. Keeping the pieces all in his mind was complicated, but they both did it—and he wasn’t about to let her out do him. He kept a board in his room to keep track of their longer-term games, but this one was just to pass the time while they waited for descend upon each other. He could see it in her eyes. She wanted him to make a move on her, and he was certain she could tell the same from him. But, for now, they were both too stubborn.

“They ought to just throw this rubbish away. They think they’ll fix these broken bludgers, but they really won’t. I say just toss everything that doesn’t work. No one’s cleaned out these store rooms in ages.” He shrugged. He looked over at her, eyeing her full lips for a moment. “I was planning on posting an announcement for tryouts this coming week, and then we’ll practice Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I think. Maybe sneak in some land practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays.” He suggested. “In a perfect world, they’d be working out every day of the week, but I can’t exactly hold them to weekends.” He shrugged.

He eyed her again, coming over to sit next to her. He picked up a punctured quaffle, rolled it around in his hands, and then put it back down. “Junk, really. I think it’d make it all easier if we just trashed everything that we don’t use. If they have a problem with it, my father can just buy new ones.” He liked to show off his wealth. He thought that it made him special, especially because he knew Elsa wasn’t from a financially well-off family in comparison. It wasn’t that he was making fun of her per-say, but more that he thought his money would impress her, for some unknown reason

((I’m sooooo rusty, but here’s a post @Elisabeth Sturm ))

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 11:31:40 AM »
Elisabeth scowled, turning her head away from him to think about the placement of her pieces on the board in her mind. “Bishop to E-five,” she replied hastily, seeing the chance to rid him of his most powerful piece and momentarily forgetting that it was, regretfully, the King who was most valued on a chessboard.

She nodded half-heartedly at his comment about how often these storage rooms were cleared out. She could understand not throwing things away just because they were broken and in need of repair; her grandmother had taught her to be thrifty and not wasteful. Elsa also happened to like to tinker and fix things, and if she wasn’t otherwise busy with studying and Quidditch practice she might take the time to try and mend some of the equipment – but when she wasn’t occupied with her schoolwork or her extra-curricular activities, she now found herself actually spending time with people, and she didn’t hate it as much as she’d originally thought.

“You really think anyone else will practice five times a week?” she asked with a sleek raised eyebrow. “And you realise this is OWL year?” she reminded him. Elsa wasn’t too worried about her grades – she was smart and competent, and good at getting her assignments done on time. However, they were only a few weeks into the year and already their workload felt like double what it had been last year. She didn’t want to admit to being worried about it, but she wasn’t in the same position as Séverin, where if all else failed she could just work in the family business (although, she supposed, technically she could, but she knew absolutely nothing about fishing).

She watched with mild suspicion as he drew closer and perched on the bench beside her. “Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays sound good, though,” she conceded, wary of being un-Co-captainly by disagreeing with his very first idea as Captain.

Elsa bit her lip and avoided his gaze until he spoke again. She was nodding along with him until— she lifted her head and glared at him, all thoughts of being cooperative pushed out by that niggling voice she’d heard back in Brazil – the one that said Séverin had gotten Captain because of his family’s name and wealth, rather than on talent or suitability for the position. “How nice for you, to be able to just buy new things the second something is a little worn out.” She wasn’t entirely sure she was still talking about Quidditch equipment. “Have you ever had to earn anything in your life, Séverin?”

Séverin Desrosiers [ Ombrelune ]
31 Posts  •  Sixteen  •  Sapiosexual  •  played by Dylan
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 05:53:00 PM »
This took Séverin off guard a bit, so much so that he forgot that he was about to win the chess game. She wasn’t usually this bitter with him, which is why it surprised him so much. Surely, they bickered, but at the same time they had some semblance of respect for one-another. He felt a little put off that she seemed to think that everything came easily to him in life. Of course, she wasn’t necessarily wrong either. He had never had to earn a single thing he wanted, save perhaps the quidditch captainship. As time moved on, he worried that he really had gotten it from his status and not because of his superior playing. He wasn’t exactly a game-winning Keeper. He always let a few shots in despite himself, and while he was pretty good, his temper was too firey for him to say he was sportmanslike. He was very unsporting, and a sore loser to boot. He also occasionally attacked members of his own team, like he had the time he was ejected from the game. It was lucky he and Elsa had not both been banned from the game for such behavior. Insteadm, they got captain and co-captain. It was funny how life worked sometimes.

“Of course I have.” He lied. “I got this position, didn’t I?” That was really not the best example. “I’m one of the top students at this school.” Again, not really a great example. His genius-level intellect made it easy for him to get high marks with minimal studying. In fact, he had barely started studying for his OWLs and didn’t think he would be starting any time soon. He didn’t want to seem lesser in her eyes, though. He wanted to look as though he had accomplished something, though truly he hadn’t accomplished much at all. He rarely worked for anything, though he was working to get (and keep) her attention, and that mattered for something, he supposed.

“I just don’t see the point of keeping worn out junk around. Maybe it could be mended, but it’ll never be as good as something new. It’s pointless to keep it around cluttering up the closet.” He countered. He wondered, briefly, if he would feel the same about Elsa some day. When she was older, would he want to find a ‘newer model?’ He doubted it. She was different than this junk. She was a person, and the most interesting person he knew. He pouted a little as he looked at her, feel frustrated. It wasn’t even that she had disagreed with him about the practice schedule—he knew he was being hard on them. Instead, he was upset that she seemed to think less of him because of his wealth and privledge—the opposite of what he expected. He wanted her to be awed by his ability to give his team a leg up from the others, not annoyed by it. He supposed it was an error of judgement. Money meant little to her, but he was certain that money meant a lot to most girls. He frequently had girls appraoch him, just for his money and status, and he turned them all away.

He bit his tongue, as an apology almost slipped out. He did not like being in her bad graces, after this summer. He had just recently gotten back on her good side and wanted it to last. Even so, he couldn’t risk his pride. He would keep quiet and be contrary if that’s what it took. “What do you suppose we do with all this, then?” He asked, instead. If her advice was good, maybe he would relent.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 10:56:49 AM »
Elsa shot him a look; clearly unwilling to agree that he’d definitely earned his Captain position without any suspicion. Séverin seemed to realise it was a poor example, even if he thought it was the truth. “You’re not stupid,” she conceded, “not academically, anyway.” There was the retort. He deserved it for being so full of himself. Elsa was being hypocritical, of course; she was intelligent but she also very much knew it. She had moments of low confidence, but generally these were more to do with her appearance, or her personality, or her status. She felt like her academic – and sporting – ability was what gave her value. Had pretty much been told as much by her grandmother. Merlin forbid she ever lose either.

Elsa glowered at Séverin, “So if it’s not shiny and new, it’s no good?” She turned her attention away from him for a moment, looking down at the humming bludger in her hands. She shoved it into his chest, holding it pinned there with one hand as she stared him in the eye. “Good to know.”

She let go of the ball and used both hands to scoot herself off the bench. The Ombrelune took a step away from him before pausing, turning back to look at him. Her expression wasn’t as angry as it had been just before. He was asking her opinion? Maybe she should have remained sitting, so that she didn’t fall over from the shock. Rather than make a biting remark, she chewed at the inside of her cheek, thinking. She shrugged after a moment. “If it’s something we can fix easily enough, we keep it. We could do it for another Service,” she swallowed softly, trying to ignore the light pink tinge creeping into her cheeks at the thought of pairing up with Séverin again in the near future.

She turned away slightly to hide her face from him – then defeated the action by tucking her hair behind her ear, exposing herself again. “If it’s beyond repair – for us – then we can throw it away.” She drew nearer again, to take the broken bludger from him; her eyes lifted to meet his and her fingertips delicately wrapped around the ball, her fingers brushing against his as she stood in front of him.

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!