April 19, 2019, 07:23:07 PM

Author Topic:  apple of my eye [lenny]  (Read 72 times)

Donna Russell [ Gryffindor ]
35 Posts  •  15  •  Lesbian  •  played by nan
apple of my eye [lenny]
« on: March 30, 2019, 06:12:34 AM »
It was the first Hogsmeade weekend they’d had yet and Donna, who should not have been spending her money and knew it, was spending her money. (She wanted to save up for broom polish and wax, and not on candy and lunch— but she also wanted to go out to Hogsmeade with @Leonard Hardy and buy candy and lunch. You can see the problem.) Anyway, it was OWLs year, and they had to grab their weekends of freedom while they could. Not that Donna wasn’t already grabbing her weekends of freedom, or her afternoons of freedom. Actually she spent altogether too little time revising, which she figured she’d better start improving on soon.

But not yet. First she wanted to buy lunch for herself and for Lenny.

Well, for herself at least. Mostly she just didn’t want Lenny buying her lunch. She’d noticed him back at school with secondhand books and threadbare robes, and had jumped to the immediate conclusion that the reason he was so tight-lipped about his summer was to do with money, which made sense. In her experience, a lot of the things that people refused to talk about were financial, so it was a conclusion that made sense. “D’you reckon it’s more crowded this weekend than usual?” she said, loudly over their food. She was usually a faster eater than he was, by virtue of being a remarkably quick eater, and was nearly finished with her lunch. “I think so. I think every single student who can be in Hogsmeade is in Hogsmeade. All the third years.”

Donna scooped some potato and gravy into her mouth and added, using one hand to hide that she was speaking with her mouth full, “They haven’t been here often enough to know there’s not really anything to do but eat and buy candy, is all. Oh— d’you want to stop by Honeydukes? It’ll be crowded…” She always got the impression that Lenny didn’t like crowds much, but Lenny (bless him) seemed not to like most situations. At least not in the same enthusiastic way Donna did. He was a lot like her sister, that way— not that she’d tell him so.

“Hey, what d’you think about the new teachers?” she added. “I think I’d feel a little better if we weren’t getting so many new ones right before we take the OWLs. But I don’t know, they seem up to scratch, I reckon. At least Becker is sort of fun.”

When the cheque arrived it was placed in front of Lenny, and Donna, before her best friend could do anything gallant or stupid, reached across the table to hold it down and blurted, “I’ll pay. Or we could do separate cheques.” She gave Lenny a questioning glance, hopeful that it would convey that she wasn’t playing around (not that she thought he was someone who ever needed the reminder.)

what's a girl gotta do to get in a proper brawl around here?

Leonard Hardy [ Gryffindor ]
27 Posts  •  15  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Louise
Re: apple of my eye [lenny]
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »
Looking up from his plate, Lenny gave Donna a small smile and a nod.  Hogsmeade was crowded.  It was always crowded but maybe Donna was right, it seemed like everyone who could be here was here.  Personally Lenny would've enjoyed the place more if it was just him and Donna.  It wasn't such a carefree or relaxing experience for him as it was for most of the students.  He found groups of people exhausting.  They were just so loud and energetic and...  stressful!  He would've stayed back at school because a) the people and b) he didn't exactly have any money to be spending on candy and lunch.  Yet as usual he'd been unable to tell Donna 'no' when she'd asked.  Now more than ever, be was cherishing spending time with his best friend. 

Leonard was developing a new level of fondness for Hogwarts life since he'd all but decided he'd be dropping out after this year.  Even the more uncomfortable or scary parts of school seemed almost special when he considered that he might be experiencing them for the last time.  He'd even started participating in extracurricular activities, something he'd always avoided before.  Joining the house Quidditch team had been a pretty big leap for the boy whose usual idea of fun was finding a nook in the library to hide where no one could find him. 

Unfortunately food didn't hold a lot of appeal for him these days.  The fifteen-year-old didn't have the greatest appetite at the best of times but eating was presently done more out of obligation than a desire.  The mess on his plate was barely recognisable as green beans and steak since he'd been cutting up and moving it around with his fork for quite some time.  Now he slowly and diligently spooned it into his mouth and swallowed.  Donna was all but finished with her meal and he didn't want her to be stuck waiting for him. 

It was true that there wasn't a lot to actually do in the village.  People just came until the novelty wore off or if they needed to do some shopping.  "Honeydukes?  Yeah, sure.  If you like."  Entering the busy sweets store was a nightmare for him but if Donna needed candy then he wasn't going to stand in her way.  Hopefully he could just find a corner to stand in while she fought the other students for access to the best sweets. 

"There's always a new DADA Professor though, yeah?"  He replied to her comment regarding the fresh faces on the teaching staff.  "He seems ok."  Lenny shrugged.  "Rather... enthusiastic."  He personally found Becker's energy a little exhausting.  Teacher's like him made it hard for Lenny to fade into the background the way he would like.  Professor Becker encouraged too much activity and involvement for his liking.  It was true however to Becker's credit that Lenny could now produce a very decent shield charm.

When the cheque arrived, he was mildly surprised by the way that Donna lunged for it.  Lenny would've loved to cover the cost of his friends meal as well as his own, he owed her so much, but he didn't really have the money to spare.  However, the idea of letting her cover everything made him very uncomfortable.  He was trying to give no one any reason to suspect he was having trouble at home, so it was important that he pay his own way.  Especially if she was concerned that he couldn't.  Donna had always been far too observant and he knew she hadn't been buying completely into his assurances that everything was ok. 

"Ah, we'll split it."  He confirmed, reaching into his pocket to fish out some of the few coins in his possession.  As he and Donna were counting out their money, he heard the distinct 'ahem' sound of someone clearing their throat by his ear.  Turning he saw the waiter beckon him to lean closer.  Confused and slightly alarmed by this bizzare behaviour, Lenny hesitated for a moment before complying.

"Son, just a word of advice.  You'd make a better impression on your date if you paid."  The man whispered in a kindly fashion.

"My what?"  Lenny repeated loudly, confused.  "My date?"  He turned back to stare at Donna with his mouth agape.  Quickly praying that she hadn't heard the exchange, he placed the last of his change on the table before standing up, ready to make his way to the exit.  He kept casting quick glances at his friend, trying to gauge how she was feeling.

Does she think this was a date?

They weren't like that - or at least, Lenny hadn't thought so.  They did spend at lot of time together and there was that time at the end of last term that they'd held hands but - Surely not!  Lenny had no real clue how boy-girl relationships worked.  Could he have possibly done something to give Donna the wrong idea?  How would he even begin to set such a thing straight?  Both of his hands dug into his hair of their own accord, in one of his most tell-tale postures of stress.  "Donna... ummm..."  He faltered awkwardly, unsure how to approach the subject, and then fell silent.

Donna Russell [ Gryffindor ]
35 Posts  •  15  •  Lesbian  •  played by nan
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 07:24:24 PM »
If she liked, they could go to Honeydukes; Donna, who did like, laughed and said, “Well, what do you want? I’ll buy you candy, if you want some.” It was a bribe— but if he didn’t want to go to Honeydukes, she wanted him at least to admit so. She felt guilty, though, her bribe sitting poorly with her, so she added, “It’s alright, you know. It might be too crowded anyway.” Not that Donna shied away from a crowd, but she knew Lenny would— and she was a Prefect now, and oughtn’t get involved in any sort of candy-related conflict.

There were a lot of ways that she and her friend differed substantially; this was one, her love for practical lessons, and his lack of it. “Very enthusiastic,” she agreed cheerfully. “But hey— at least he’s teaching, right? Could be worse. D’you reckon you’re gonna keep taking it, after the OWLs? I really was gonna drop it— but maybe not, if he stays.”

She swept her hair back with one arm and added, “What classes do you think you’ll keep? I want to dump History of Magic, for sure— and maybe Care of Magical Creatures, if we have Walker again. It’s not worth it.” This was a source of misery for her— though Donna loved animals, and loved learning about them, she did not love Sylvester Walker, and hadn’t since he’d docked Gryffindor a few hundred points last year. She could hold a terrible grudge.

He was, as she’d sort of expected, insistent on paying at least for his own meal; she nodded and leaned over to root through her backpack for a bag of money, half noticing as the waiter beckoned Lenny to listen. As they had a short, whispered conversation Donna dropped the final amount in the centre of the table, and gave Lenny a questioning glance as he gaped, then quickly put the rest of his change down.

“Fuck was that about?” she said, as they were making their way to the exit; she turned slightly to note that he had his hands in his hair and was making a sound like he’d gotten frozen mid-word.

It was probably another thing he’d never tell her, so she amused herself in the interim by making up a wild theory: his coins were all counterfeit, and that was what he’d always been worried about, and this waiter was the first person to ever catch on. Or something improbable like that. She gave him another curious look, and prompted him again— “Lenny?”

what's a girl gotta do to get in a proper brawl around here?

Leonard Hardy [ Gryffindor ]
27 Posts  •  15  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Louise
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:37:09 AM »
Lenny felt bad that his friend was obviously holding back on her candy purchasing aspirations for his sake.  Mustering a smile that he hoped looked enthusiastic, he waved away her offer to purchase him candy.  “That’s alright.  I’ll grab myself something.  We can go together after this.”  The fifteen-year-old’s pockets were very light but he was sure he could scrounge up a knutt or two for a single piece of candy.  He was still stalling, hoping to keep up his meagre charade of being a normal teenage boy as long as possible.  Going into Honeydukes to buy candy was exactly the sort of thing he should be doing. 

Things can always be worse, Lenny thought as Donna continued to chat about their teachers.  As it was though, whether or not Becker as a good DADA professor would have little impact upon whether Leonard would be continuing the class.  He froze up uncomfortably when she started talking about what subjects to keep or drop next year.  ’All of them’, would definitely not be the answer she was expecting.  Still, watching his friend with wide eyes, he half expected her to call him out on his betrayal.  But she didn’t.  Donna remained in the dark about his plans and he was hoping to keep her in the dark as long as possible.  He just wasn’t ready to face losing her yet.

He tried not to look guilty as he gave his non-committal answers.  “I like history.”  Lenny shrugged, knowing that he was one of the few.  “And I like Care of Magical Creatures too, even with Walker teaching.”  He agreed with Donna’s feelings towards the professor but found that he could largely ignore, and be ignored by, Professor Walker and just focus on the animals.  “Transfiguration.  That’s something I could do without.”  Lenny named his least favourite class for balance.  He was not particularly fond of trying to magic things into things they were not.  It felt unnatural. 

As they walked away from the table, it quickly became evident that Donna had noticed the strange interaction he’d had with the waiter.  He struggled to think of how to explain it, afraid that the wrong choice of words might offend or upset her.  The last thing he wanted was to drive Donna away so early in the year.  He really needed her friendship.  But that’s all he wanted from her, just to be friends.  “D- Donna,” he mumbled again as his face grew red.  “I…  I think you’re… a swell girl.  I do.  But I don’t think of you like…  You’re not…”  Leonard knew he was making no sense and so stopped abruptly to give his head a little shake of frustration.  After taking a deep breath, he tried to start again.  “You’re great but I don’t…  ummm… like you.”  Oh Merlin!  That sounded horrible.  “Not that you’re not pretty…   ah…”  Lenny had never had words fail him so completely before.  Rather than stumbling awkwardly over expressing how he thought she was really cool but wasn’t romantically interested in her, he decided to just outright ask her the question that was bothering him.

In barely a whisper, he awkwardly enquired while staring intently at the scuff marks on his shoes.  “Uh, Donna?  Was this a… date?”

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Hogwarts Anew
Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!