September 16, 2019, 06:00:50 PM

Author Topic:  [mp] a single space between you and me [barbara]  (Read 260 times)

Soléy Trickett [ Hufflepuff ]
16 Posts  •  14  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Taylor
  • "a slight lovely girl who lay in bed and ate chocolates, a girl whose hair smelled like hyacinth and whose scarves fluttered jauntily in the breeze"
  • Trophy Closet This character has started and/or participated in a MP thread! Nan’s 2018 Halloween Reward Hogwarts House Cup - Hufflepuff (2000-2001) Halfblood Character
[mp] a single space between you and me [barbara]
« on: April 18, 2019, 04:23:15 AM »
"Merlin!" Soléy gave a little yelp of surprise when she felt something cold in her side, and the tip of Lydia's elbow through her chest when she looked down. The feeling was not altogether pleasant per se, but she liked Lydia, so she just shook her head and smiled when she apologised. Hufflepuff had some of the nicest ghosts in Hogwarts. The Grey Lady was alright, and Soléy did envy the fact that she was enchanting enough to the Bloody Baron for him to do what he did (not that she would, or could, ever admit that out loud to anyone), but she wasn't particularly easy to get along with. Lydia was nice, and she was sorry the Hufflepuff girl died so young.

She couldn't help but roll her eyes, however, at the Baron's dramatics. Surely she was just hiding from him somewhere? She was a ghost, and while Soléy wasn't entirely sure how ghosts worked, but making themselves hard to detect seemed to come with the job description. Hopefully this didn't mean the start of something bad was going to happen at Hogwarts soon. From what she's heard from her family they've been through enough already at this point.

Suppressing the negative energy, she decided she was going to enjoy the rest of the day as best she could. She had a rather pleasant afternoon in Hogsmeade with some of her dormmates and cousins, and although she'd rather have gone with Barbara, the Ravenclaw was apparently on a date. That dampened her spirits somewhat, and she ended up choosing a much simpler dress for her costume instead of the full renaissance garb that she'd planned. She could never decide if purple was her colour anyway, and pretending wasn't as fun if you're doing it alone.

The plate in front of her was piled uncharacteristically high, mostly with chicken and potatoes; she got into her Halloween candy pile way too early, and the sight of more dessert on the table turned her stomach. She gave some boys sitting opposite her a distasteful look, and leaned back to whisper to Barbara instead, "Why do boys feel the need to shovel food in their mouths like that? I hope yours isn't like that as well." Her tone was pointed, making it clear that she was talking about Owain. If that wasn't an invitation for Barbara to talk about her afternoon on that date then she didn't know what was.

@Nan 

Barbara Gibson [ Ravenclaw ]
52 Posts  •  14  •  played by nan
Re: [mp] a single space between you and me [barbara]
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 05:14:02 AM »
They’d been doing this as soon as they’d been friends, sitting on this end of the table so they could lean over to whisper to each other mid-meal. And Barbie had just had her first date, and was expecting her best friend to tilt backwards any moment now. And, frankly, Barbie was waiting impatiently; she had too much to say and she needed to say it now.

Not now enough that she’d initiate it, of course. Didn’t seem quite right to bother Soléy about Owain. That is, not unless Soléy asked first. Which she did, thank goodness.

“Boys,” she whispered back, and grinned cheekily at her friend, recognising the hint for what it was. “He is not! He was very polite. And we went to the Three Broomsticks— you know how their portions are.”

It was a little awkward to talk like this, leaning backwards and whispering— Barbara, at least, had to cling to the bench with one hand to keep herself from slipping backwards, and she suspected Soléy did too— but it was a little classic, she thought, to talk to your friend like this. (Barbara was very set on having classic Hogwarts friendships. It was why she’d protested her parents’ decision not to take her to King’s Cross her first year.)

“We went guising together, too,” she added, in a gleeful undertone. “Did I tell you— we made up a little dance— oh!” She rebuked herself mentally for the momentary lapse in memory, and hastened to mention her friend's costume. “Soléy, you look so lovely! Did your mum sew that for you? It’s so classy.”

i'm like a bitter old man except i'm a teenage girl

Soléy Trickett [ Hufflepuff ]
16 Posts  •  14  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Taylor
  • "a slight lovely girl who lay in bed and ate chocolates, a girl whose hair smelled like hyacinth and whose scarves fluttered jauntily in the breeze"
  • Trophy Closet This character has started and/or participated in a MP thread! Nan’s 2018 Halloween Reward Hogwarts House Cup - Hufflepuff (2000-2001) Halfblood Character
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 06:16:30 PM »
"So you're agreeing he's yours then," Soléy smiled a sly little smile. She would've reached across to give her a playful little shove, but wasn't sure if she could do that, hold her balance, and not fall off the bench at the same time. She never thought when she started doing ballet that this would be what she was training for, a good core strength so she could gossip about boys with her best friend.

Soléy nodded fervently, and holding her hair so the fake rose pinned to it wouldn't drop, it was all she could do to agree with Barbie without standing up and holding a physical sign over one of her brothers. When it came to table manners Rafnar was really setting a poor example for the younger ones. They think it's cool to be uncouth and messy, she'll never understand them.

"Oh thanks! She did, owled it to me just last week, too," she looked down at the satin fabric that was getting slightly crinkly from her sitting in it. "Maybe next year she can make you one too, and we'll match?" Soléy's tone was careful; she didn't want Barbie to think that she was jealous of Owain or something. Because she definitely wasn't.

Laughing somewhat nervously, she gave an awkward little wave. "Not important. Anyway, what were you saying about a dance? Right in the middle of Hogsmeade? Tell me everything!" It was somewhat comical in Soléy's imagination, with the two of them dressed in their costumes dancing a little jig while someone played the fiddle. She would never say that out loud of course, but the smile on her face got a lot lighter. "And did he buy you anything at the Three Broomsticks? My cousin always says that's how you know a boy treats you right."

Barbara Gibson [ Ravenclaw ]
52 Posts  •  14  •  played by nan
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 02:32:36 AM »
“Well, obviously he’s his own person,” said Barbie, smiling back at her friend; “But yes, yes he is.” This was as much smugness as she was comfortable with; she tilted her head a bit sheepishly and moved onto making fun of boys, which was far more palatable.

“It’s so classy,” repeated Barbara— which it was, and making her feel a short and childish and ridiculous, as most things did. Soléy added an aside about next year and Barbara made a slight pained face, glancing away from her friend. “I told Owain we might match again,” she said, apologetically; now that she’d gotten an offer from Soléy’s mum, she couldn’t say she preferred the idea of whatever couple’s costume she and Owain would have dreamt up. Candy was all very well, but he was— after all— a boy.

She tried hard to read her friend’s expression— she didn’t want to be the sort of girl who ditched her friends for her boyfriend— and said, with forced cheeriness, “Maybe he’ll forget. Would it be much trouble for your mum? I wouldn’t want her to spend too much time.”

Soléy seemed anxious to move on, so Barbara obliged; “Owain wanted us to have a dance, for doorsteps,” she said— “So we made one up. It was really very silly—” she felt a little insecure complaining about her dancing, when she was never quite sure how her friend felt about it, but she also wanted to say it anyway: “You know he’s so much taller than me, so I think I looked a little bit stupid.” She patted her hair self-consciously with one hand, shifting her weight just enough that she could be certain she wouldn’t lose her grip on the bench.

“Yes, he bought me my lunch,” she said; scrunching her face into a smile she added, “What else did your cousin tell you about boys? Soléy, are you interested in anybody?”

i'm like a bitter old man except i'm a teenage girl

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!