September 16, 2019, 05:15:32 PM

Author Topic:  russian roulette • {simon}  (Read 236 times)

Hazel So [ Slytherin ]
61 Posts  •  11  •  played by Mickie
russian roulette • {simon}
« on: May 10, 2019, 05:03:11 PM »
Class today had been dreadful. This morning she went to Transfiguration only to find that they were learning how to transfigure a beetle into a button. Anyone that knew Hazel also knew that she did not like bugs. Creepy-crawlies, wriggly-wallies, and all of their friends could just disappear for all she cared. She’d spent most of the class trying not to shriek, but then a boy in her house thought it would be hilarious to put a beetle in her hair. She’d nearly lost it then, and after removing the insect and giving both of them a stern talking to, the professor had deducted house points. She could have just evaporated right there. A deduction? Because of her? Naturally, the rest of the day just felt off after such a terrible morning. She’d joined her friends at lunch, but her appetite wasn’t really there, and after moving some peas around her plate with her fork, she excused herself.

The library was her first stop after leaving the dining hall. What could she do now other than lose herself in some books? Surely acquiring knowledge and continuing to stay ahead in her studies would be the first step in re-earning the points she had lost. But she would have to do this elsewhere; entering the room, she spotted the Slytherin prefect and immediately turned on her heels. How could she ever face him after such a fiasco? Hazel glanced around her and decided to just stow herself away into one of the castle’s little alcoves, far away from here.

As she meandered through the corridors, another first year caught her attention. Walking not too far ahead of her was a Gryffindor – Simon, if she remembered correctly – and in his hand was an ornate book. He was usually with accident-prone Archie or Tomboy Tomie and that was reason enough for her to dismiss him. The book in his hand was one she did not recognise, however, which grabbed her interest. Distracted from her devastation, she walked over to him, arms crossed. With scrutinising eyes, she questioned: “What’s that?”

@Simon Cresswell

t h e s e   w i n g s   w e r e   m a d e   t o   f l y

Simon Cresswell [ Gryffindor ]
14 Posts  •  12  •  played by Nan
Re: russian roulette • {simon}
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 01:55:30 AM »
He hadn’t had any trouble getting it out of the library, even though he’d almost expected to. Almost hoped to, even— wouldn’t that be a story to tell Tomie! It wasn’t in his age level, or his grade level, or even a book he could carry with one hand (he’d tried, and twisted his wrist awkwardly, and was now hugging it to his chest with the hand he wasn’t using to re-hoist his bag every second or so— his robes were a little big, to grow into, and he hadn’t done them up all the way— with every few steps, the bag and the shoulder slipped and he had to fix it again.

But Simon was making great time back down from the library. Not that this was against the rules. In fact, the mere reality of his having made it so far was pointing at it being very legal. But, thought Simon, his mum wouldn’t want him to do it, and he felt like the thrilling guilt of getting a real spellbook out to look through, of actually planning to look through it, to peruse, was burning straight through his red face, which may as well have “EARLY-STAGE DELINQUENT” written on it. Of course, he was also Simon Cresswell; the red face was from walking briskly.

At first he didn’t think the question had been for him, but then he glanced over his shoulder to see Hazel So, arms folded like she was a teacher or something. “Huh?” he said.

If his mum had asked him that, Simon would have said something nice and unconvincing like “...Nothing,” but Hazel So wasn’t his mum, and for two panicked seconds Simon considered his choices before settling back on “...Nothing.”

She wasn’t his mum— no way!— but after another moment Simon squirmed a bit, loosened his grip on the book to show her the cover. “Intermediate Human Transfiguration,” he said, and “It’s just to read.” immediately after, in case she got any ideas about ratting on him for his deeds— even though, as he’d already determined, they weren’t actually against the rules.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:55:46 AM by Nan »

sure, i have my bad days, but then i remember what a cute smile i have

Hazel So [ Slytherin ]
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 03:31:46 AM »
"Just to read." She repeated his words with a tone marinated in skepticism. How did one pick out a book like that - one filled with new information and all sorts of advanced spells to try and test - and not feel any sort of pull towards that practical side? Perhaps a less curious, more rule-abiding dutiful student could resist that sort of temptation but Simon was a Gryffindor - the exact opposite of rule-abiding - so she was hesitant to trust his answer. She would be lying if she said she didn't understand wanting to attempt harder spells (she'd done it in Charms, after all).

Hazel's gaze flickered to the tome's cover, taking in the gold trim around the edges and the loops and swirls of its title. Characteristic curiosity welled up inside her. She had half a mind to snatch it from him, but that sort of behaviour was unbecoming - used only by those who lacked decorum of course. Instead, she smoothed out her skirt and donned a more neutral look on her face. "It sounds... interesting," she admitted, internally searching for the correct words to allow her an in on this adventure for knowledge. Maybe if she learned some advanced spells, she could turn her deduction fiasco around. It just pained her that she had to appeal to a Gryffindor to do it. Better him than Tomie or Quincy, she supposed.

"I'm pretty good at Transfiguration... as long as there are no insects involved." Her cheeks warmed, coloured a rosy hue at the memory of this morning. "Maybe... maybe we can practice together." The suggestion wasn't the easiest to get out, but she'd managed to do it. Human transfiguration... she couldn't wait to lock her gaze onto those pages! Surely Simon would agree to let her tag along.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 01:41:44 AM »
Evidently, Hazel So didn’t believe his obvious lie, which was predictable but still annoying; he readjusted his grip on the book and narrowed his eyes a bit and said, “Yes, to read. I enjoy reading.”

She still seemed skeptical; he raised his eyebrows, as if to ask if she was going to get a move on or what. (It crossed his mind that she might run to a professor about it— she did seem like the sort to do that. He wasn’t doing anything wrong, he reminded himself. It wasn’t a crime to read. And, he thought grudgingly, it wasn’t a crime for Hazel to read either— and she seemed interested.

And, what was more, she was being nice— probably because he had something she wanted. “Oh yeah,” he said, remembering the beetle— he’d thought it kind of funny (if kind of mean) at the time, and felt guilty for thinking so now. “Well, it’s human transfiguration, not bugs.” There. Olive branch. Not enough, evidently— she wanted to practice together.

It was tempting, actually. She was better than him at it. Even so, he frowned a little at the prospect— and Hazel had been sort of rude to his friends, just in the few months they’d been in school. Tomie and Archie especially. “Sure, I was thinking about asking Archie too,” he said— even though he hadn’t been, and wasn’t going to, since Archie wasn’t one for lawless pursuit of transfiguration practice. “If he’s not too accident-prone, that is.” He raised his eyebrows at her, then decided he’d come on too strongly. “You are really good,” he added. “So it’d be helpful.”
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:41:53 AM by Nan »

Hazel So [ Slytherin ]
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 04:10:11 AM »
Instinctively, she beamed at the compliment. He was right; she was really good at Transfiguration – once they weren’t required to work with bugs, of course. His invitation to Archie, however, stirred some uneasiness. She wanted to outright refuse. Given the choice between working with him or going back into that haunted house, she would struggle to pick the worse option; working with Archie was arguably almost as scary. He was so unpredictable. And uncouth. The last thing she wanted was to stand near him while he was casting a spell and potentially end up with her robes on fire. But Hazel knew that if she wanted to see the contents of that book, she had to stay on Simon’s good side. He already seemed bothered by her clever nickname, though she couldn’t figure out why. It was just the truth. Archie was very accident-prone, a hazard to his health and everyone else’s as far as Hazel was concerned.

The genuine smile she’d donned had morphed into a stiff imitation as she did her best to seem enthused. “Yes, of course you can ask him.” She supposed that once she was given the freedom to take charge, things could go smoothly. Maybe Archie just needed the proper guidance. It seemed like an arduous task – one that she would certainly prefer not to have on her plate – but there was not much else she could do.

As he went to search for the bumbling Hufflepuff, Hazel fell into step with Simon, keeping an eye out for her friends, who would surely find it at least somewhat odd that she was spending her free time with a Gryffindor. She made a mental note to explain herself properly tonight; she couldn‘t bear the thought of being branded a troublemaker by association. Their walk was initially silent, but Hazel could never stay quiet for long. “Have you looked inside the book yet?” She was dying to know what sort of spells they were going to uncover. Human transfiguration. She knew some things from conversations with her parents and other texts, but this was sure to have much more detailed information.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 07:54:26 PM »
He grinned a little bit at the stiffness with which she agreed that he could include Archie in this— although, now his mind was racing for a way to get out of actually finding his friend. It’d serve Hazel right to have to work with Archie, since she’d been mean to him all month, but as Simon imagined increasingly horrid possibilities if they actually practiced transfiguration, he couldn’t say he wanted to follow through. He liked Archie a lot, but he also knew that human transfiguration was definitely out of Archie’s skill level. It was probably out of Simon’s, too— he really had only intended to look. (To peruse, even.) At least he had been; now that Hazel was here he was a little more confident in their combined ability— she was actually good at this.

In answer to her question— he wondered if she was similarly trying to distract them from finding Archie— he said, “Only the table of contents. There’s a lot in it about changing your hair and eyes and nose and stuff.” It hadn’t really been what he’d expected— advanced human transfiguration, in his opinion, ought to include much more outlandish things, like horns and feathers and becoming an animagus. This was all small-fry transfiguration, in his opinion— pretty dull stuff.

Simon let a few seconds of silence go by before he said, “I think Archie might be in his own common room, though— I’ll have to show him tomorrow.” That was something he’d been intending to do— just show him the book, and they could look at the pictures and instructions without trying anything.

He gave Hazel a sidelong glance, trying to gauge whether to find a legitimate place to study together, like on the grounds or something, or to stake out some nook. As far as he knew, it wasn’t against any rules to work in the abandoned, dusty classrooms— it just felt secretive and therefore, bad— so he stopped outside one of the ones he knew and said, “We can practice in here.” He pushed the door open a little, for her approval— it was small and sunny, but clean (and, hopefully, wouldn’t have any spiders.)

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!