November 18, 2019, 09:24:40 AM

Author Topic:  all the world was one sad cry [Iago]  (Read 372 times)

Joanna Hennings [ British Ministry ]
111 Posts  •  28  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Ann
all the world was one sad cry [Iago]
« on: May 19, 2019, 10:05:09 PM »

Iago Moriarty [ Hogwarts Adult ]
40 Posts  •  32  •  Straight  •  played by Miss Mori
Re: all the world was one sad cry [Iago]
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »
The original plan had been for his children to be long gone when Joanna arrived. But as all plans involving children go, this too had gone horribly awry. First, Perdita had snuck outside to feed her breakfast to the squirrels. And ended up trying to re-plant the flowers she’d stepped on by ripping them out of the ground and sticking the unbroken leaves and flowers in the dirt, covering her bright green dress in rich black soil before smiling proudly at her father when he’d found her. That was followed shortly after by Phineas running through the halls wearing his pants on his head shouting about how he could have braids like Perry and Aunt Lala too. By the time the children were both dressed, Iago felt as though he’d aged about twelve years and gotten very little sleep in the meantime. Fortunately their Uncle Silvano had arrived to help walk the children the few blocks to the Costello home, and had been instrumental in getting their boots laced and tied properly. Iago wasn’t a stickler about many things, but dressing his children in matching outfits just seemed… right. Of course now Perdita was leaving the house in a purple dress and a pair of her brother’s pants, because she wanted to, and he was wearing a dark blue button down shirt because he’d demanded to dress like daddy today. Iago was just going to have to accept that the days of choosing his children’s outfits for them were long gone. A happy memory from when they were too young to cause as much mischief and didn’t have small minds of their own.

The knock on his door drew Iago’s attention and he let out a sigh, shaking his head and leaving his sister and cousin to handle the rowdy pair before opening the door and smiling at the young woman. She seemed so stiff and formal; not at all the woman he remembered from their nights drinking on Delaney’s couch. But she was here for work, and so was he, of a sort. “If you’d give me one ---”

“Child get your little Arse back here and put on your Bloody Jacket before I Hex your pants to the chair at Grandmother’s and tell her you’re only allowed to eat lettuce!”

Iago winced a bit at his sister’s exasperated voice and gave her a bit of a shrug. “---one moment… it appears someone may have decided to give my children twelve shots of espresso with their morning meal...” he turned back into the room where his son was not letting Silvano help him into his Jacket while Perdita argued with Lara about which hat she was going to wear. “The straw one. And any more complaints and there will be no more trips to Grandmother’s this week.” his voice was perfectly calm, as though he was discussing the weather, but both children looked at him in still silence before the little blonde girl pulled the hat down over her head and hid behind Lara’s long skirts.

With another glance back at Johana and pointedly ignoring the questions of ‘whats a hit witch?’ among others, Iago said goodbye to his children with a kiss on each of their foreheads before gently resting his hand on Joanna’s arm and leading her to the side so the four of them could exit, smiling and rolling his eyes as Silvano explained to his children that a hit witch chases down and smacks bad people with a newspaper while they made their way to the garden door that would let them out onto the street.

“I am so terribly sorry about that… some days I’m tempted to just drop them on Delaney’s doorstep and tell her that as their godmother, they’re her responsibility for the next week.” he muttered, running a hand through his hair and brushing a bit of dirt of his vest. “And you needn’t be so formal, but I appreciate you coming. My office is right over here...” he gestured to an archway to the left, conveniently near the front door. It was more of a suite, a long slender room that ran the length of the door, a large circular window sitting behind the desk at the far end, with the front half arranged more like a nice living room, decorated in deep greens and golds, with dark woods. 
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:30:31 PM by Miss Mori »

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 12:41:29 PM »

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 01:04:18 AM »
“They’re not normally this difficult.” he murmured softly as they both watched the children leave. But he was glad to hear that she at least remembered him, and that the formal tone in her voice was more or less just default for work. He could understand that, to be sure. “Thanks. I spent the past four years stripping out my father’s horrible tastes and replacing it with less…. Gilding. Seriously, this place looked like some sort of overdone french muggle palace right before its inhabitants lost their heads.” it took him a moment to place the name. Reading up on muggle wars was a strange, but amusing pastime of his. Honestly they fought over the stupidest reasons. “Versailles. That's the one. It was atrocious.”

The room he led her into was dark gray paneled walls, and rich green furnishings complemented by dark woods. It wasn’t overdone or overdesigned, the insinuation of wealth coming more from the quality of the pieces then someone trying to cram expensive items and gold everywhere to show off. He directed her towards the armchair that sat nearest the couch, before taking a seat himself, somewhat tense. After all, this wasn’t going to be easy on him, and he knew it. But it had to be done. He had to know that something was being done, that his children would be safe. “Its been four years...” he said softly, sitting back and looking at the sketch above the fireplace, unmoving, plain, simple, but meaningful. A happy family. Lara had drawn it shortly before she’d become injured. Had intended to turn it into an actual portrait of the four of them together. But she’d not been able to finish it, and for Iago… it was perfect just the way it was. Unfinished, like their family would be.

“Honestly by this point I’m just… I’ve done my grieving, I’ve screamed with rage, I’ve let the bitterness overtake me. Now, I want to be able to move on with my life. I want to be able to come home. To bring my children home. And I want them to not live in fear that someone’s out to kill them because of the monster of a man their grandfather was. I should have seen it. Perhaps I didn't want to see it. He was evil enough to his own children that I should have suspected...” and what he had done to Lara had confirmed that, to be sure. But he wasn’t about to bring up how his father had forced his sister to become one of those vile people either. At least now, she was alright. They were going to make it through this.

“I honestly hadn’t even gone to the Prophet for that reason you know… I was hoping to just find an English speaking Govorness for my children. I need Lara’s help with our business, and she’s not in any state to be watching over children who know that if they’re quick enough, they can out run her cane.”
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:30:49 PM by Miss Mori »

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 12:39:13 PM »

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 04:55:18 PM »
Iago shook his head slowly. "unfortunately, I have not received a single sign of Interest. I rather suspect that I won't at this point. It appears that I am to be resigned to the fate of constantly being blamed for my father's actions despite being one of his victims myself." The Welshman hoped that Joanna did not hold the same view as many of the others. She had known him, back before things got bad. She had been there while he and Delaney had talked about how insane their views were. She had to know he was nothing like his father, that he didn't share the same views.  nd she was here trying to help, he could only hope that meant she was at least a little on his side.

when she asked about the  article however, the dark-haired man stood slowly and walked over to his desk. "My sister handles most of the mail that comes to our business. She gave these to me but cautioned me not to read them, after the article. they weren't responses for a governess, or potential clients. But we thought we should keep them anyways." he removed his wand and unlocked one of the lower drawers in his desk, removing a stack of letters that had clearly been read, though not by him. "from her vague statements about them, and what I could infer, they're rather scathing letters in response to the article. I only skimmed the first one… it wasn't pretty."

Iago set the stack of letters down in front of her, before retaking his own seat, letting out a sigh. "I was going to just burn them. But if you think they'd be useful… you're welcome to them." He shifted again in his seat, the entire subject making him uncomfortable but knowing it had to be done. "Would you like anything to drink, or eat? Tea? I think there is still some of the peanut butter cookies that Perdita made yesterday left."
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:31:03 PM by Miss Mori »

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 07:42:50 PM »

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 08:47:37 PM »
Iago once again straightened up and walked over to a panel on the wall, sliding it open and tapping it with his wand. The dumbwaiter lifted and a tea set appeared, still steaming. He took the tray and brought it over to where they were sitting, fixing her tea for her. The cookies on the tray certainly didn’t look like a five year old had made them, at least not without a ton of help. “Are you going to be in Neroli long? I can at least recommend a good place to eat before you go back.” he offered while he arranged things, before passing her the tea. After all, as much as he loved England, this place had a soft spot for him. And it would be a shame for her to make such a trip only to run off before seeing anything of the wizarding city. He poured himself a cup of tea, black, before settling back himself, resigned to the fact that there could be no more distractions.

He took a drink of his tea, before taking a deep, heavy breath. “No, it won’t. But fortunately for us both I have relieved that day a dozen times in my own mind, wondering what I could have done differently… my memory of it remains clear.” another drink of his tea, to pause and collect his thoughts. Before nodding to her as if to signal that he was ready, recognising the dictation quill.

“It was a hot day. Really hot. Odd for september. I only remember because the charms that were supposed to keep the apartments cooler weren’t working.” in hindsight, that should have been his first clue that something was going wrong. " they were old. My grandfather had them installed. I spent most of my morning trying to find someone who could come in and repair them because it's not the sort of thing that I understand all that well. I was in the top floor apartment that was my home and office, with my children."

He paused, thinking back, wanting to remember relevant details. "The sound. I didn't realize it till weeks later, but I could hear the woman in the apartment below me yelling at her children. There should have been charms in place to prevent sound from carrying between Apartments as well." There had been little hints, subtle annoyances. But no one had really reported them. " whatever it was done had to have been done either in the very early morning or sometime before 10 a.m. I only know this because there were two different parties going on that night in the building. And if the charms have been down before then, we would have received many complaints from tenants trying to sleep because the noise of the parties would have interrupted their rest." He was pretty sure she was probably wondering why he felt all this was important. " the Moriarty Rose Apartments had three main charms. A cooling and warming charm, for comfort, sound barriers, and fire suppression… even if the spells in place could not have put out a fire, they should have contained it to a single flat."

He stopped there for the moment, drinking more of his tea. "The smoke got to me first… came right up the main stairwell into the top floor. My office is nearest that… was. My office was nearest the entrance to the main stairwell. So that residents with appointments did not need to enter my home. I could tell the smoke was coming up the stairwell and when I opened the door, it was just a wall of smoke. I had to close it quickly…" that was the hardest part for him. That moment of panic, realizing there was a fire, and he had no way to get to his wife. He swallowed before drinking more tea, and took a deep breath. "I grabbed my children from their crib… they weren't even a year yet, and small for their age. I knew I couldn't get down the fire escape with them in my arms, and if the fire suppression charms had failed, I couldn't guarantee that even those would be safe… so we made our way into the roof… to the owlery I kept for the residents. Several others had managed to get up there… with their own children… we had enough adults who could apparate, so we were all able to get down to street level… we were covered in soot… but alive. If hogwarts had not been in session..." he didn't dare think of how many others would have been on that roof.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:31:17 PM by Miss Mori »

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 06:20:17 PM »

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 02:23:03 AM »
Iago finished off his tea, once again wishing he had something harder. Perhaps… after. After she was gone and he was left alone with his thoughts. He could have a shot of something to steady his nerves before he joined his children at their grandmother’s for dinner. And hopefully there would be no follow up interrogation there. Sometimes the Costellos had the good sense to leave things be. Other times… they were a very close family who just had to know every detail about someone’s life.  But for now, she had asked more questions, and he wanted to answer them. Anything that would find who had murdered the mother of his children. His Isabella.

“The man who originally installed the wards… he’d been a friend of my grandfathers. They were nearly a hundred years old.” perhaps he should have been more diligent, had them stripped and replaced when he’d taken over. But if it was still working, why fix it. “He used to come and check them once every ten years, and then his son… his grandson hadn’t gotten into the business however, so they closed their doors about twelve years ago. It took some time to find someone new, but my sister interviewed several and sent me the best. I had them checked when I first took over at eighteen… and then again in 1996. My goal was to have them checked more often, considering their age, but in that entire time we’d only had two reported incidents, and that was someone trying to install a fireplace to their flat trying to bypass the wards, so that they didn’t have to go down to the main lobby to use the floo network. The other was someone trying to adjust the heating and cooling charms, so that they could make their apartment a lot colder in the summer months.” he shook his head. Some people were never satisfied with what they were provided. Those charms weren’t standard in wizarding flats, but the Moriarty family felt that providing certain minor luxuries helped get better tenants. And they’d been right.

He was pleased that she’d honed in on the same issue that he had, hoping that this time, something would actually come from it. “I did ask the man if he could go back over the building after the fire… on my own expense, to see if the wards had failed or if they’d been tampered with… his results were not conclusive, but I can give you his report. Perhaps you’ll find something more in there that I might have missed...” it was the first time Iago had admitted to trying to do the job that the ministry had refused to do. He straightened up, finishing his tea and then brought the report to himself from a cabinet near his desk. “At the very least, you’ll be able to go speak to him yourself. Perhaps he can be more clear on the nature of the wards, and how they were set up. Honestly I knew little more then that they worked.”
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:31:32 PM by Miss Mori »

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 11:02:12 PM »

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 12:55:18 AM »
Iago, pressed his lips together thoughtfully. “I don’t recall exactly, but it should be in the documents I gave you… it was simple, Wards by Adamson, or Adamson’s Wards… something along those lines.” within the first two minutes of their conversation, Joanna had already gotten more information then the previous man. The bastard had even at one point implied that perhaps Iago had set the fire himself in an attempt to gain sympathy for his family, after their family name was dragged through the mud. But Iago had meant what he said at the beginning of the Interview. He was past it. He really just wanted to end all of this, so he could move on with his life. Home. his children had only ever been to the estate once. Their mother’s funeral. Their only memories of Neroli. Would they hate England? He mused. It took him a moment to shake himself from his thoughts, realizing that she’d spoken. Laughed even.

“I’m sorry, what… oh.” the Welshman smiled at her joke. “Perhaps I shall have to see if you can recommend me a good one when I’m done with this. I’d like to have the wards on my family estate in wales checked before bringing my children there… they’ve never seen it.” there was a hint of nostalgia and wistfulness in his words, but the look on his face said that wasn’t something he wished to discuss for the time being. “Unfortunately records of everyone who had been ‘evicted’ were burned in the fire...” but Iago couldn’t imagine that any of them would have wished him Ill. yes, he’d thrown them out, but only because he’d been legally required to turn them over to the ministry. And he’d made that very clear, that in 24 hours someone from the ministry was coming, and that they should flee. Or at least Isabella had. Iago had allowed her to handle that, because it had been her idea. And there was something sick in his mind about arresting people for their bloodstatus. Certainly pure bloodlines had their merits, but to rid the world of anyone who had the good fortune to rise from the dregs of muggle life and become a wizard? That was foolishness at best. But he kept his mouth shut on that. His views were such that he could anger wizards on both sides of the issue simultaneously with them. And anymore, everyone had a side.

Thankfully Joanna had an elaboration on the question, and he could answer that more readily. “The Rose apartments were only about two thirds full. We’d never had that many empty flats… the Bar still saw plenty of buisness of course. One has to wonder however, why the Rose Apartments and not the Moriarty Flats… that was the largest of our buildings, and carried the family name...” his mind went back to the evicted tenants, wondering if that was more likely a scenario suddenly. He’d been trying to save them! “And of course, My personal business… I owned an events center, parties, art shows, seminars and the like… we used to get a lot of business from the ministry before it was taken over, and even after, though I suspect for different reasons. I encouraged my wife to stop working there when that happened… Her family, according to them, were the wrong sort of pureblood; and I wanted her safe… so… I suggested she work at the Rose instead...” there it was, the reason he blamed himself for her death, out in the open. He knew it was foolish, but he couldn’t help himself. “Had it not burned along with the Rose, I suspect it would have been out of business.”

“I suppose it's also possible...” he hadn’t really thought about it before, but the thought of his wife brought a new pool of potential culprits to light. “After the war I was quick to disavow my father’s actions, though it mostly fell on deaf ears. It is possible that it was someone who believed in such things, and saw both my words, and my marriage to a Sutcliffe as treachery.”
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:31:46 PM by Miss Mori »

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!