November 18, 2019, 09:16:39 AM

Author Topic:  {Nov MP}When Reindeers Collide (OPEN)  (Read 329 times)

Lesleigh Ollivander [ Hogwarts Adult ]
61 Posts  •  20  •  Boy crazy but open.  •  played by Chaw
{Nov MP}When Reindeers Collide (OPEN)
« on: May 22, 2019, 07:34:56 AM »
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 04:06:38 PM by Chaw »

Hunter Street [ Hogwarts Adult ]
2030 Posts  •  24
  • "I want to live my life so I'll be able to read an in-depth biography about myself in later years and not puke."
  • Trophy Closet Registered a wand from Ollivanders or the British Isles Carys's FPP 2015 Sapphire Reward Christine's Diamond 2018 & Sapphire 2019 FPP Award Appleby Arrows Fan Influential Family Member Pureblood Character This member reached the Ruby level before July 2015!
Re: {Nov MP}When Reindeers Collide (OPEN)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »
It had been a busy few months for Hunter. He was regularly selling stories now, almost exclusively Quidditch-related, and mostly to smaller regional newspapers, but combined with his part-time work at the second-hand shop and those occasions when the rats performed on the streets for whatever coins could be thrown, he was doing okay. That was a relief, because there had been several weeks when he'd had another mouth to feed. Imagine Moxie turning up like that out of nowhere, tracking him down after she'd seen his name in a discarded newspaper. Poor little kid, he hoped she was doing okay with her Dad now. It had been over a week now and he'd snuck back to walk past the shop a couple of times, disguised so the guy wouldn't think he was stalking. Last time she'd been curled up in a chair reading a book, and her clothes had looked new. Despite how much easier his life was now he didn't have a kid to watch out for, he missed her.

Maybe that was why he was doing something completely different, taking advantage of free Ministry-organised portkeys to go out to Sweden for the reindeer festival. Hunter liked animals, but he wasn't that keen on the cold. People who said they enjoyed the winter were invariably rich, the kind who went on skiing holidays and owned cabins in the mountains. None of them had ever experienced a winter when they were sleeping in an abandoned warehouse, burning old pallets to keep warm and thanking their lucky stars that they were wizards who could charm a can of soup to heat itself up without needing a stove. But it seemed like a fun event, so Hunter had put a pair of longjohns under his jeans, donned an extra sweater and turned up in London to take the portkey to Sweden.

Except the portkey was malfunctioning. Several people had simply apparated to Manchester and taken another one, but Hunter was in luck. The shop where it was going from were connected to the Floo network, and the Minsitry had given permission for free travel for today only. Great! No sick, dizzy feeling as you hurtled through space, just a warm tickling and you stepped out of another fireplace. Thanking the witch who offered him the powder, he wrapped his cloak tighter around himself and stepped into the fire... stepping out again and immediately stumbling into something on the floor. He tried to turn and avoid the collision but it was too late; Hunter sprawled full-length onto the floor, swearing in Icelandic as he did.

Right as someone else wore in English, and then there was more yelling and swearing in what he presumed to be Swedish, because some of the words were familiar. As he started to pick himself up he saw it was a man, presumably the owner of this pub or whatever it was. yelling at a young woman whose feet he must have tripped over. "Hey, hey...it's not her fault" he said, because the man was yelling something about the floo network and not getting in the way. Hunter spoke no Swedish, had just picked up on a few words. He held out a galleon to the man and said "beer?" which was clearly understood as the man, still grumbling, turned and moved away.

"Yeah, I'm okay...are you okay?" he asked, realising that the girl's coffee had spilt in the confusion. Pulling out his wand, he siphoned off the mess, drying his sweater and cleaning off most of the ash and cake crumbs as he did so. "Did you want me to..?" he repeated the action for the strange woman, so now they just resembled toddlers who had been having a food fight rather than people who were completely covered in coffee and cake.

[OOC: Let's go for them meeting for the first time and see what happens!]

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 05:31:34 AM »

2030 Posts  •  24
  • "I want to live my life so I'll be able to read an in-depth biography about myself in later years and not puke."
  • Trophy Closet Registered a wand from Ollivanders or the British Isles Carys's FPP 2015 Sapphire Reward Christine's Diamond 2018 & Sapphire 2019 FPP Award Appleby Arrows Fan Influential Family Member Pureblood Character This member reached the Ruby level before July 2015!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
It was actually pretty nice in here, Hunter thought now he'd got his bearings and glanced around. Sure, the innkeeper was in one hell of a temper, but he'd probably had to deal with customers who didn't speak his language for the entire duration of the reindeer festival. Hunter had done the odd bit of bar work, and more than the odd bit of bar cleaning work, and he knew how hard it was to keep up a cheerful front for customers all day. Still, it was early, and this guy looked like he was just a miserable git. Under other circumstances Hunter would have downed his beer in one and made his way out of the place, self-inking quill and notepad in hand, but having tripped over this girl's legs, it felt a bit rude just to skip straight out. Probably what professional reporters would do, but the young man didn't really feel that way. Not even now he was starting to make a name for himself and a couple of people had recognised him when he'd been at Quidditch matches.

Besides, it was nice to have someone to chat to. He grinned when she made the comment about long legs, not quite seeing the relevance just then, but it wasn't until she performed her own cleaning charm, far more effective than the half-baked attempt he'd just tried, that he spoke again. "Whoa! That's pretty impressive..." he began, but at that moment the barkeep announced their beers - didn't do anything so helpful as to actually bring them over, of course - and she stood up to walk over to the bar. Now he got the joke. At 5 feet five, Hunter was used to being on a level or looking up to the majority of women, but this girl would only just come past his shoulder. When she returned with the beers, he was still grinning at her little act of defiance behind the innkeeper's back.

"You're welcome. Reckon the beer makes us even" he said, taking a seat opposite "Yeah, the Swedes really know how to make a decent beer." Well, the magical community did, anyway. Being something of a connoisseur of real ale he knew which countries brewed a decent beer and which were best avoided. Really, he pitied the Swedish muggles who could only buy beer and wine through state-licenced shops or in incredibly expensive bars - expensive by Hunter's standards, at least. He took a long drink, only replacing the glass when it was almost half gone.

"Oh - Icelandic. Kind of a habit - if I want to swear, I automatically switch out of English. Got me into less trouble at school, anyway! Believe it or not I'm actually a full blooded Icelandic wizard. You can tell by the accent, right?" he asked with a wink "So what brings you to...wait- " He held out a hand across the table "Hunter Street, pleased to meet you. And yes, there is a long story behind my name, and yes, I am willing to share it if you're interested..." Sure, he had work to do today. But that didn't mean that he couldn't relax a little before he got busy with his quill to see if there might be an angle on this event he could sell to one of the papers. 

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:53:27 AM »
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:19:13 AM by Chaw »

2030 Posts  •  24
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 09:18:32 PM »
Hunter grinned. He liked this girl's style. Friendly and chatty without trying too hard. It was the ones who tried too hard - too much makeup, too high-pitched laugh - that never even caught his eye. Though that was overstating the case; girls (or boys) didn't really catch this young man's eye in the conventional sense. It was more that sometimes he accidentally found himself in an unexpected situation which he happily went along with. It wasn't that he disliked people, far from it, he just didn't really seem to be geared up for dating and relationships, preferring to have lots of friends he could have a good time with. Maybe one day he would fall in love or have a serious relationship it just hadn't happened yet, and that fact didn't worry him at all.

So he wasn't thinking of flirting, or worrying about what she thought of him, or trying to think of a clever answer when he replied "Missed a trick there, didn't I? Though you're right - decent beer doesn't make a decent pub, and I think I read there's a couple of other bars we could try later on, If your offer still stands, that is..?" He lifted his glass again, this time taking a more measured drink, not wanting to finish the pint too quickly. Another few minutes to chat, then he might have a new friend to spend a few hours with, pass the time and have another perspective on the reindeer festival or whatever it was called. Still, he was about to say something cheerful and lighthearted about his origins when it suddenly came to light that his new companion had an even more interesting family history than his own.

"You're...whoa!" Contrary to Lesleigh's expectations, Hunter didn't immediately jump to the conclusion she was expecting. Instead his mind flitted back to his first year at Hogwarts, when the boys in his dormitory had been showing off their wands to each other and telling the sort of embroidered tales about what magic they had already managed to perform. Every single wand had come from Ollivanders', of course, but one of his dormmates had an older brother who had just graduated, and had been in the same year as Mr Ollivander's son. It was this little snippet of information that Hunter recalled now, and so he didn't ask the inevitable question, though his was perhaps even more personal. "Was it...I mean, did you get your wand from... sorry, I'm being nosey" he said, taking a quick sip of beer again. Hunter realised he had been about to ask if her father had made her a specific wand, having imagined what it must be like to have such a famous father. Rarely did he feel uncomfortable, but for this moment he hoped that he hadn't said the wrong thing.

"Call me Hunter. Everyone does." Literally everyone. Even little Moxie hadn't ever called him anything else; no "Uncle Hunter" or anything like that. More than one name felt weird, somehow. "Drinking sounds like a pretty good plan...but yeah, I sort of came here on the offchance of finding an interesting story. I'm a freelance reporter, see...mostly sports, but sometimes I can sell something else if its interesting enough. How about you? Did you visit the reindeer herd yet?" Hunter was on the verge of asking if she fancied taking a walk with him once they'd finished their beers, but he figured that could wait a few minutes until he was sure he hadn't offended her with the wand question.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 09:37:07 AM »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 09:38:15 AM by Chaw »

2030 Posts  •  24
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 08:43:28 PM »
"I'm going to hold you to that promise later on" he agreed. Hunter was always going to be up for anything that involved a decent beer, but the fact that he'd met someone who was going to be good company had decided things for him. He drained the rest of his glass, now that it seemed they would carry on their conversation elsewhere for a while there was no need to drink more slowly. It was good that his reaction to her name had apparently been the right one. Probably when your family was that famous you got used to getting asked a load of questions. Hunter briefly wondered what his life would have been like if his mother hadn't had the nerve to escape with him when he was only a day old; but after just a couple of seconds he dismissed the thought. It was one he'd had many times in his twenty six years, sometimes as a kid because he was in trouble and imagined a life where he never got told off, sometimes when life was going great and he reminded himself of how different things could have been. But Hunter had never been someone who dealt in 'what ifs'.

"Yeah, got it from your Dad in the Spring before I went to Hogwarts. Mum and I went to get it; we got a few funny looks when she had to ask directions to a wand shop, but...oh" Hunter realised he was going to need to explain a few things now. "Right, I grew up in London. Actually I was born in St Mungos, so technically you could say I'm a fully-fledged Brit, but for the fact that both my parents are from Iceland. I was...that bit's a long story, and I don't like telling it in public. The short version is, I've never met my father, but I met Jimmy - that's my adopted Dad - when I was a day old. He's my best mate, is Jimmy. Great bloke. Muggle, but magic never freaked him out, not for a second. Anyway, Mum had been to Diagon Alley, but we lived mostly in a village up North when I was a little kid, so she had to ask for directions, and her English isn't perfect..."

Hunter was grinning as he told the tale, not in any particular order and still leaving out the most interesting details. Those could come later, when they weren't likely to be overheard, not that anyone was likely to care. But an event like this - it was just possible that the Icelandic Ministry was going to be represented, and he didn't want to mention a name that was so well known there. He was glad when the conversation moved on to his job...and hers. He hadn't expected her to be impressed about what he did - probably because he didn't find his own life particularly impressive. He was just lucky because he was able to get by doing things he enjoyed. "I get free tickets sometimes, but not for the important stuff yet. Not the first-league finals or the World Cup. Right now I mostly do the local British games, though I've interviewed a few big names. Give me a couple of years, though!"

He was surprised when Lesleigh said she did interviews too - or was about to. The name Meer was vaguely familiar, but Hunter didn't really know enough beyond a few rumours of money lending and below-the-table deals. It was enough that his eyes widened slightly at the mention of the name, and he could look suitably impressed. "Sounds cool, I hope it goes well" he said, though he was glad she didn't seem to want to talk about fashion. It really wasn't something he had a clue about, and was even less interested in. It was also a bit disappointing to hear there probably wasn't a story to be had here, though. Still, he was here now.

"I'm up for that if you don't mind playing tour guide" he said "be a shame to come all the way here and not see the reindeer. Did I hear they've got baby ones too?" Maybe he could find someone to ask about how they were raised, what age their magical abilities surfaced...at the worst, maybe he could sell a story about cute baby reindeer to the kiddie page of Witch Weekly. He settled back in his seat, in no particular hurry to leave right away despite his empty glass.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 06:14:16 AM »

2030 Posts  •  24
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 10:00:12 AM »
"Mum didn't speak a word of English when I was born. She -" he glanced around the pub and looked back at Lesleigh with a disarming grin, to show that he was perfectly happy for her to know his history, but that he didn't want to risk anyone else overhearing "She learned to speak English when I learned to talk. Jimmy didn't know a word of Icelandic, so she had to figure things out slowly. Just words at first. That's what they told me, anyway. And they're both great, I had a brilliant time growing up."

But then his grin faded somewhat. The war wasn't something he liked to think about for all sorts of reasons, but now he didn't think twice before talking to this virtual stranger. "Yeah...we did. I got pulled up before the muggleborn registration comittee. I mean, I'm pureblood and I could prove it, so I knew I was fine, but they somehow knew about Jimmy being my Dad. So...I lied. Told 'em I hadn't seen his since I was six and that I'd loved him, but that just cos a little kid loves his pet rat doesn't mean he wants to grow up to marry one. Got away with it, they just said 'be careful' but I lost my flat, most of my stuff because my landlord threw me out. It's okay, I've lived on the streets before, there's always empty buildings to sleep in if you know where to look..." Some little voice at the back of Hunter's mind reminded him that his life hadn't exactly been normal, and that most people wouldn't think that living in abandoned buildings was a perfectly acceptable way to live. "I told Jimmy to get out of London after that day, and we didn't have any contact til after the war. He's fine. He knew enough about the magical world that he accepted what I was saying right away." Don't worry, Hunter was saying. My story has a happy ending.

So would today, it seemed. Somehow he'd got himself a new friend without even trying. "Sure, if I say I'm bringing a guest along I can usually get an extra ticket. Especially if that guest happens to have a camera" he added in a conspiratorial tone. He was grinning again now and actually excited to see the reindeer. One of the things Hunter particularly loved was animals, though he didn't spend much time with them unless you counted his own rats. "Shall we walk? Its not snowing right now and I could use a bit of fresh air" he suggested as the innkeeper, now slightly appeased by the fact his newest customers had actually spent money in his establishment, brought two more beers over in flagons that could clearly be taken outside and then returned to the pub once they were empty. Hunter assumed they had anti-theft spells on them - its what he would have done for such an event.

"Don't worry about the extra beers - I think this guy's had enough of your money" he muttered as they stood up. The refilling charm was one thing he had become pretty good at over the years - often by necessity - and was quite happy to perform it on their flagons until they found somewhere to refill them in a more conventional fashion. He followed Lesleigh to the door, rolling the sleeves of his sweater down to cover his hands as they prepared to step outside. Hunter was expecting it to be cold, but it was a different kind of cold to the one in London. There, it was invariably accompanied by dull, overcast skies, wet puddles in the streets, a biting damp wind and the chill that crept inside your clothes and settled there after a couple of hours outside. Here, the cold was somehow dry, the skies brighter, the snow reflecting the weak sun that lay low on the horizon this far north. There was a breeze, but it did little more than whip up the top layer of snow and whirl it across the landscape.

"Okay. Which way, Madam Guide?" he asked cheerfully.

Tags: open 

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!