July 21, 2019, 01:43:09 AM

Author Topic:  {Nov MP}When Reindeers Collide (OPEN)  (Read 143 times)

Lesleigh Ollivander [ Hogwarts Adult ]
57 Posts  •  20  •  Straight/ boy crazy  •  played by Chaw
{Nov MP}When Reindeers Collide (OPEN)
« on: May 22, 2019, 07:34:56 AM »
Her boss, Ms. Morel tried to warn her.  She had missed the October fest completely, the Quidditch Cup and several nights out with friends, all because of deadlines. Well that and last-minute ideas and late running photo shoots, which kept her working into the night and more often than not on weekends. As part of the creative department, she often was part of the beginning ideas of projects and worked on it until last shots were sent to the layout and editors. After that deadline they had to show up Monday with new ideas and directions. All this resulted in a practically killed social life.  ‘It was the price one plays for your dream job.’ At least that was what she said to herself at the beginning, but now it seemed to be just the price everyone pays to work at Label. YET today all negative thoughts went out the window.

She helped spear the ‘reindeers and winter coats’ idea. Okay, the title needed work, but the shots they got were fantastic. Since all their models had to leave early for a fashion show in France, they had to finish early and the photographer took a port key back with the photos well before the deadline. The fact she was not it the office, meant she was not being roped into any new last-minute ideas. This gave Lesleigh not just a complete weekend off, but she was finally on vacation (well until Monday.)

Sighing with relief, Lesleigh picked up her Swedish coffee and something that they called ‘Kärleksmums’ or which she assumed was a type coffee cake and looked around the dining room of the inn for a chair. The only problem was that all the chairs were wood and hard looking. Lesleigh wanted something she could really sink into relax and figure out just how she was going to spend the rest of today and all of tomorrow and Sunday morning. It was then she spotted an old slightly dusty chair in the corner near the fireplace.

Setting her coffee and cake down Lesleigh dragged out the armchair in front of the fire and flopped down with coffee and cake in hand. She had to balance her coffee on her café plate, because there was not a small table handy ,but she managed it. Between the fire warming her toes and the taste of the moist, sweet cake and the strong aroma coffee, which she had laden with a ton of sugar, Lesleigh felt like she was in heaven. She was in the middle of her second bite and formulating a plan for an evening of reindeer riding, good food and a possible  visit to a bar or two when the fireplace gave a precursor pop.

Suddenly the flames jumped, and a figure strolled through it. Although the figure attempted to turn sharply, they still tripped on Lesleigh's outstretched feet. Cake and coffee and the traveler took flight. This left Lesleigh, the chair and the travel who was now on the ground adorned in coffee, cake and ash. Lesleigh let out a curse word, but was delayed in saying anything else for she was distracted when the Inn’s owner yelled something in Swedish. Although Lesleigh had no idea just what they said, she had a notion that the angry words were directed at her.   

“What? I don’t understand…I was just enjoying my coffee and cake and this one practically ran me over.  I mean,  How was I to know this was connected to a floo network and now look at me!“ Yelling back at the Innkeeper relieved her frustrations for a second and she was able to turn to the floo traveler with a little bit of compassion. “Sorry, you ok?”
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 04:06:38 PM by Chaw »

Hunter Street [ Hogwarts Adult ]
2023 Posts  •  24
  • "I want to live my life so I'll be able to read an in-depth biography about myself in later years and not puke."
  • Trophy Closet Registered a wand from Ollivanders or the British Isles Carys's FPP 2015 Sapphire Reward Christine's Diamond 2018 & Sapphire 2019 FPP Award Appleby Arrows Fan Influential Family Member Pureblood Character This member reached the Ruby level before July 2015!
Re: {Nov MP}When Reindeers Collide (OPEN)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »
It had been a busy few months for Hunter. He was regularly selling stories now, almost exclusively Quidditch-related, and mostly to smaller regional newspapers, but combined with his part-time work at the second-hand shop and those occasions when the rats performed on the streets for whatever coins could be thrown, he was doing okay. That was a relief, because there had been several weeks when he'd had another mouth to feed. Imagine Moxie turning up like that out of nowhere, tracking him down after she'd seen his name in a discarded newspaper. Poor little kid, he hoped she was doing okay with her Dad now. It had been over a week now and he'd snuck back to walk past the shop a couple of times, disguised so the guy wouldn't think he was stalking. Last time she'd been curled up in a chair reading a book, and her clothes had looked new. Despite how much easier his life was now he didn't have a kid to watch out for, he missed her.

Maybe that was why he was doing something completely different, taking advantage of free Ministry-organised portkeys to go out to Sweden for the reindeer festival. Hunter liked animals, but he wasn't that keen on the cold. People who said they enjoyed the winter were invariably rich, the kind who went on skiing holidays and owned cabins in the mountains. None of them had ever experienced a winter when they were sleeping in an abandoned warehouse, burning old pallets to keep warm and thanking their lucky stars that they were wizards who could charm a can of soup to heat itself up without needing a stove. But it seemed like a fun event, so Hunter had put a pair of longjohns under his jeans, donned an extra sweater and turned up in London to take the portkey to Sweden.

Except the portkey was malfunctioning. Several people had simply apparated to Manchester and taken another one, but Hunter was in luck. The shop where it was going from were connected to the Floo network, and the Minsitry had given permission for free travel for today only. Great! No sick, dizzy feeling as you hurtled through space, just a warm tickling and you stepped out of another fireplace. Thanking the witch who offered him the powder, he wrapped his cloak tighter around himself and stepped into the fire... stepping out again and immediately stumbling into something on the floor. He tried to turn and avoid the collision but it was too late; Hunter sprawled full-length onto the floor, swearing in Icelandic as he did.

Right as someone else wore in English, and then there was more yelling and swearing in what he presumed to be Swedish, because some of the words were familiar. As he started to pick himself up he saw it was a man, presumably the owner of this pub or whatever it was. yelling at a young woman whose feet he must have tripped over. "Hey, hey...it's not her fault" he said, because the man was yelling something about the floo network and not getting in the way. Hunter spoke no Swedish, had just picked up on a few words. He held out a galleon to the man and said "beer?" which was clearly understood as the man, still grumbling, turned and moved away.

"Yeah, I'm okay...are you okay?" he asked, realising that the girl's coffee had spilt in the confusion. Pulling out his wand, he siphoned off the mess, drying his sweater and cleaning off most of the ash and cake crumbs as he did so. "Did you want me to..?" he repeated the action for the strange woman, so now they just resembled toddlers who had been having a food fight rather than people who were completely covered in coffee and cake.

[OOC: Let's go for them meeting for the first time and see what happens!]

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 05:31:34 AM »
Although a normal looking wizard lay at her feet, he seemed to be possessed by an ancient Viking spirit. Almost every single word spewed out of the wizard’s mouth started with the heavy letters of  F, G, or H. Quite a few words sounded similar to ‘hell,’ so that Les could guess their meaning. Worried she pissed off a true nuttery, Les step back, but then the wizard surprised her. For after he picked himself up, he did not turn to her, instead he turned to the Inn Owner, defended her in perfect english, and then simply quiet the him by ordering a beer.

“Thanks.” Lesleigh said a tad guilt fully. Figuring she should have at least gotten the wizards drink and clean the mess she caused. Plus, it was a good idea to keep her own Innkeeper happy, since her room was under Label's tab. “Make it two beers and I got it.” She yelled at the Keeper waving the proper count of fingers, before adding a little jokingly to her co-conspirator, “It was my long legs that tripped you.”

She waited a second before she gestured to her legs which helped her reach an amazing height of just under 4'-11".

“Yeah, I’m fine thank you.” she answered, then “Thanks” after he cleaned her. Somewhat. It was then the Ollivander got out her wand and used one of her mother’s famous clean-all spells. She aimed it to the floor and then his shirt. Lesleigh was halfway amazed it worked.  There was a bit of cake in his hair… but she will tell him later. The barman yelled out something and slapped two pints on the counter.

“Beers up.” Lesleigh said.  As she walked across the room, she dug in her pocket to put two Gallons on the table. The still angry man took it and failed to give her any change back. When the man’s back was turned Lesleigh stuck out her tongue at him, before she made her way back to her Viking possessed friend. She handed him one and took a seat at the closest a narrow wooden table.

"Thank you for helping me back there." She said slightly leaning and if it was a secret, while forgetting that most here could not understand her anyways. She picked up her pint and sipped the top tentatively before taking a bigger gulp and saying "Oh wow, this is good.”

“So, what was that language that you were cursing in earlier?” Lesleigh asked addressing the young wizard noting just how cute he was, even with cake in his hair.

2023 Posts  •  24
  • "I want to live my life so I'll be able to read an in-depth biography about myself in later years and not puke."
  • Trophy Closet Registered a wand from Ollivanders or the British Isles Carys's FPP 2015 Sapphire Reward Christine's Diamond 2018 & Sapphire 2019 FPP Award Appleby Arrows Fan Influential Family Member Pureblood Character This member reached the Ruby level before July 2015!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
It was actually pretty nice in here, Hunter thought now he'd got his bearings and glanced around. Sure, the innkeeper was in one hell of a temper, but he'd probably had to deal with customers who didn't speak his language for the entire duration of the reindeer festival. Hunter had done the odd bit of bar work, and more than the odd bit of bar cleaning work, and he knew how hard it was to keep up a cheerful front for customers all day. Still, it was early, and this guy looked like he was just a miserable git. Under other circumstances Hunter would have downed his beer in one and made his way out of the place, self-inking quill and notepad in hand, but having tripped over this girl's legs, it felt a bit rude just to skip straight out. Probably what professional reporters would do, but the young man didn't really feel that way. Not even now he was starting to make a name for himself and a couple of people had recognised him when he'd been at Quidditch matches.

Besides, it was nice to have someone to chat to. He grinned when she made the comment about long legs, not quite seeing the relevance just then, but it wasn't until she performed her own cleaning charm, far more effective than the half-baked attempt he'd just tried, that he spoke again. "Whoa! That's pretty impressive..." he began, but at that moment the barkeep announced their beers - didn't do anything so helpful as to actually bring them over, of course - and she stood up to walk over to the bar. Now he got the joke. At 5 feet five, Hunter was used to being on a level or looking up to the majority of women, but this girl would only just come past his shoulder. When she returned with the beers, he was still grinning at her little act of defiance behind the innkeeper's back.

"You're welcome. Reckon the beer makes us even" he said, taking a seat opposite "Yeah, the Swedes really know how to make a decent beer." Well, the magical community did, anyway. Being something of a connoisseur of real ale he knew which countries brewed a decent beer and which were best avoided. Really, he pitied the Swedish muggles who could only buy beer and wine through state-licenced shops or in incredibly expensive bars - expensive by Hunter's standards, at least. He took a long drink, only replacing the glass when it was almost half gone.

"Oh - Icelandic. Kind of a habit - if I want to swear, I automatically switch out of English. Got me into less trouble at school, anyway! Believe it or not I'm actually a full blooded Icelandic wizard. You can tell by the accent, right?" he asked with a wink "So what brings you to...wait- " He held out a hand across the table "Hunter Street, pleased to meet you. And yes, there is a long story behind my name, and yes, I am willing to share it if you're interested..." Sure, he had work to do today. But that didn't mean that he couldn't relax a little before he got busy with his quill to see if there might be an angle on this event he could sell to one of the papers. 

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:53:27 AM »
Oh, yes! He is cute and he can drink! the witch thought when his half full glass hit the table. She hated when wizards could not handle beer. She had ran into a few that just pretended to like the beverage because she did. Others that sip it like fleas. Then there were others that had no tolerance at all and they would get so sloppy on just two pints. Annoying. Yet not only can this guy could drink, bit his pale grey eyes reminded her of her father's and the short spicky mess of pale hair was just yummy with or without the cake crumbs.

Being so cute she could not help but adding some of her natural teasing flirtation into the conversation by  leaning back and saying,  “Oh, it is a shame you think we are even. You unknowingly cut off yourself, too short. I was going to be willing to buy another round. Although I am not sure if I would want to buy it here.” She turned her head and spied on the owner working the bar over the shoulder, before turning back giving a shrug and taking another few drafts of her beer. 

“Icelandic? Full blood, really?” Her brows  arched, as she her put her now similarly leveled beer down on the table and leaned in, propped up by her elbow. While thinking,  Ha! Viking I was right! Yet instead she said, “No, I can’t tell. You sound like a total Londoner.”

Suddenly wizard formally held out his hand. It almost made Lesleigh laugh. She thought they were way past introductions...he did siphon coffee off her chest. Instead she just grinned and she obliged the wizard by shaking his hand like to blokes meetings at a bar. “Hunter … Street ? It is good to meet you. Yes, that is an interesting name. It doesn’t sound very Icelandic at all. I just might have to take you up on that offer.”  Well, she was not sure if she wanted to hear it now, for it sounded like it could be a long story. Yet it was at least something she could bring up again later, if she wanted to keep him talking. In case he has to leave or something. “Although I should introduce myself,  I am Lesleigh Ollivander. It is nice to meet you.”

Her name usually needs no explanation, especially for wizards from London and according to his accent he was one. Yet with wizards what did not know her father personally... there has sometimes been a slight confusion of age. It leads her to usually say, No, Garrick Ollivander was not my grandfather, he is my father. Was her typical answer for the few willing to ask the next question in their head.

She picked up her beer again as asked before she brought the glass to her lips. “So. Mr. Street, you certainly know where to find good beer. Other than drinking, do you have any other plans today?" With any luck she could join him on his plans maybe get to know him better. Why not she had the day free. Beats hanging out with the an angry inn owner breathing down your neck.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:19:13 AM by Chaw »

2023 Posts  •  24
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 09:18:32 PM »
Hunter grinned. He liked this girl's style. Friendly and chatty without trying too hard. It was the ones who tried too hard - too much makeup, too high-pitched laugh - that never even caught his eye. Though that was overstating the case; girls (or boys) didn't really catch this young man's eye in the conventional sense. It was more that sometimes he accidentally found himself in an unexpected situation which he happily went along with. It wasn't that he disliked people, far from it, he just didn't really seem to be geared up for dating and relationships, preferring to have lots of friends he could have a good time with. Maybe one day he would fall in love or have a serious relationship it just hadn't happened yet, and that fact didn't worry him at all.

So he wasn't thinking of flirting, or worrying about what she thought of him, or trying to think of a clever answer when he replied "Missed a trick there, didn't I? Though you're right - decent beer doesn't make a decent pub, and I think I read there's a couple of other bars we could try later on, If your offer still stands, that is..?" He lifted his glass again, this time taking a more measured drink, not wanting to finish the pint too quickly. Another few minutes to chat, then he might have a new friend to spend a few hours with, pass the time and have another perspective on the reindeer festival or whatever it was called. Still, he was about to say something cheerful and lighthearted about his origins when it suddenly came to light that his new companion had an even more interesting family history than his own.

"You're...whoa!" Contrary to Lesleigh's expectations, Hunter didn't immediately jump to the conclusion she was expecting. Instead his mind flitted back to his first year at Hogwarts, when the boys in his dormitory had been showing off their wands to each other and telling the sort of embroidered tales about what magic they had already managed to perform. Every single wand had come from Ollivanders', of course, but one of his dormmates had an older brother who had just graduated, and had been in the same year as Mr Ollivander's son. It was this little snippet of information that Hunter recalled now, and so he didn't ask the inevitable question, though his was perhaps even more personal. "Was it...I mean, did you get your wand from... sorry, I'm being nosey" he said, taking a quick sip of beer again. Hunter realised he had been about to ask if her father had made her a specific wand, having imagined what it must be like to have such a famous father. Rarely did he feel uncomfortable, but for this moment he hoped that he hadn't said the wrong thing.

"Call me Hunter. Everyone does." Literally everyone. Even little Moxie hadn't ever called him anything else; no "Uncle Hunter" or anything like that. More than one name felt weird, somehow. "Drinking sounds like a pretty good plan...but yeah, I sort of came here on the offchance of finding an interesting story. I'm a freelance reporter, see...mostly sports, but sometimes I can sell something else if its interesting enough. How about you? Did you visit the reindeer herd yet?" Hunter was on the verge of asking if she fancied taking a walk with him once they'd finished their beers, but he figured that could wait a few minutes until he was sure he hadn't offended her with the wand question.

Tags: open 

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Hogwarts Anew
Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!