July 21, 2019, 02:11:36 AM

Author Topic:  [lesson 1] sticks and stones {all years}  (Read 66 times)

Filomena Bellantoni [ Professor ]
14 Posts  •  86  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Olivia
[lesson 1] sticks and stones {all years}
« on: June 27, 2019, 02:18:37 AM »
December 2002

With Bouton’s toenails click-clacking softly on the flagstones behind her, Filomena crossed the short distance from her office into her classroom. As usual, it was brightly lit and festooned with various hanging plants and greenery, giving it a rather homey feel. Stacking her notes neatly on her desk (not that she really needed them at this point, after all these years), she leaned against its edge as Bouton took up his usual position on his cushion beside it.

The Italian witch had been teaching long enough that she always had a few go-to topics in her back pocket, though she much preferred her lessons to be fluid and dynamic when she had the opportunity. Each year she had at least two of three brand-new lectures based on the latest literature or a new finding, and at least three-quarters of her lectures changed subtly from year to year as she tailored and edited them based on how the previous year’s session had gone. There were very few lessons that seldom, if ever – changed – and this was one of them.

With the upcoming Quidditch match, Mina felt it was prudent to return to the basics of what to do in the event of an accident. They would review how to actually tend to minor injuries, of course – but first, and arguably more importantly, they would discuss how to identify those that may need emergent help as well as how to stabilize that person until help arrives. Filomena felt strongly that everyone, regardless of age, should be familiar with basic First Aid or at the very least know when and how to get help.

“Good morning, good morning, i miei fiori,” she chirped as the last student got settled, absently directing her wand at the tin of biscotti on her desk. It levitated a few inches off the surface before making its way slowly around the room so people could take one if they so wished. This week’s flavor was mint chocolate chip, as it had won the vote at the end of last week. Mina used to bake biscotti every week, but had since transitioned to every-other-week, occasionally adding in pizzelles here and there if interest was piqued. She was a health care professional and been a Head Healer for nearly thirty years, certainly, but she also held the title of ‘great-grandmother’ – and what sort of grandmother would deprive their temporary charges of sweets? It was nigh on blasphemous.

Once they’d all had a minute to enjoy a bite or two of the treat, she moved in front of her desk and leaned back gently against it to signal she was ready to begin. She flicked her wand, and in looping scrawl the following words appeared in midair:

Emergencies & First Aid

Looking out at the sea of faces before her, she addressed her class.
“A few upperclassmen may recall this subject from years past; I would apologize for the redundancy, but I cannot stress its importance enough. In the decades I have been in practice, I have seen many things go well – and many things go terribly wrong. It is my firm belief that we may prevent or at least ameliorate poor outcomes by educating everyone on the basic first steps when faced with an emergency.”
Bouton ‘whuffed’ softly in his sleep. Mina smiled.

“Now that I have sufficiently dampened the mood” she chuckled “who can tell me what the very first rule of trauma is? In other words, what is the very first thing one should do when a potentially serious accident occurs – before you even lay hands on the patient? There are two answers, here, and in a real scenario you would do both at very nearly the same time.”
She clasped her hands together and let them rest in her lap.
“You may reference your textbook if needed, of course, but bonus points will be awarded to those that do not.”

It was perhaps a bit of a ‘trick’ question, but it was no less important. If they’d glanced through the first section of their textbooks, they’d find what they needed to get through most of the day’s lesson.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 02:23:48 AM by Olivia »
|| pinterest ||

come, stop your crying, it will be alright
just take my hand, hold it tight
I will protect you from all around you
I will be here, don’t you cry

Florian Friedrich [ Papillonlisse ]
9 Posts  •  17  •  Gay  •  played by Louise
Re: [lesson 1] sticks and stones {all years}
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 02:19:11 PM »
Florian happily nibbled on a piece of biscotti as he considered the Professor’s question.  First rule of trauma?  He cast his mind over the various techniques and spells he had learnt for dealing with injuries, but nothing immediately jumped out at him.  It all depended on what sort of damage you were dealing with.  Before you could really aid a patient, you needed to figure out what was wrong with them.  Maybe that’s the answer?  Assess the patient’s injuries?  Yet Flo hesitated, suspecting that this line of thought wasn’t quite what his Professor meant.  It seemed too obvious.  Besides she had specifically said ‘before you even lay hands on the patient’.

The seventeen-year-old felt sure he must know the answer.  It was all just a matter of getting into the right frame of mind.  He closed his eyes and tried to picture the scenario.  Ok, so I’ve just arrived at the scene of an accident…  Someone is injured and requires emergency care…  What do I do first?  His stomach clenched with imaginary tension and he tried to find the mental clarity he would need if he was ever faced with an emergency situation in real life. 

“Check for danger.”  Florian inadvertently voiced the thought out loud.  His eyes flew open and he subtly flinched away from the curious gazes of his classmates.  Clearing his throat, he tried to act as though it had been his intention to answer the question.  “That is, you need to assess the scene first.  It’s important to be aware of your environment; where you are, who is there and what is around you.  Identify any hazards and resolve those before attempting to treat the patient.”  It sounded like common sense but Flo was uncomfortably aware he would probably be one of those who would find it difficult not to just rush immediately to the patient’s side.  However, recklessly entering an emergency situation before you understood it could be a recipe for disaster.  Healing someone became pretty redundant if both of you could end up more badly hurt or even killed because no one had bothered to make sure things were safe first. 

“If it was me, that’s what I would do.”  He continued a little more informally.  Flo felt a little sheepish for taking over the class but was fairly confident about his answer.  “I’d make sure things were safe first, using whatever protective equipment and enchantments necessary, and in doing so, I could hopefully figure out what had caused the accident or find some clues as to what kind of trauma the patient may have suffered.”  As he understood it, information was the best thing a Healer could arm themselves with.  “Only then would I be in a position to stabilise and treat the patient.” 

Leaning back in his chair, the Papillonlisse boy stretched languidly and rested his hands behind his head in an intentionally relaxed posture.  Catching the eye of a pretty girl across the classroom, he gave her a cocky wink.  As usual Flo contrived to display a certain level of self-assurance and masculinity that he didn’t necessarily feel at his core.  Trauma response was easy enough for Florian to discuss theoretically; however, he knew that putting such processes into practice would be a completely different story.  He didn’t think he ever wanted to actually be a first responder in an emergency.  His interests lay more in general health and preventative medicine – the sorts of things where he would hopefully deal mostly with old people and little children, not dangerous environments.    (It wouldn't be very manly to say so though.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:21:43 PM by Louise »

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Hogwarts Anew
Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!