June 01, 2020, 09:15:22 PM

Author Topic:  [lesson 1] sticks and stones {all years}  (Read 727 times)

Gabrielle Delacour [ Papillonlisse ]
603 Posts  •  SIXTEEN  •  fairly hetero ~  •  played by EVIE
Re: [lesson 1] sticks and stones {all years}
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 03:39:29 AM »
Gabrielle quite liked medical studies. She liked the concept of it, that it wasn’t difficult to imagine an immediately practical use for the kinds of magic that they learned in this class – when was she going to use a draught of living death potion in everyday life, for Merlin’s sake? At some point in the past couple of years she’d learned that other schools didn’t have a class like this – that it wasn’t mandatory in every school of magic to learn basic first aid. How barbaric.

The blonde nodded along with the class as various people contributed to the discussions. She made mental notes – and real ones – where necessary. When they paired up, it was Jaspar who asked if she wanted to be in a pair. “Sure,” she answered, holding her arm out for him.

She was a little bored as he nervously poked around her forearm and wrist area, but she smiled at the professor when she stopped by. “Please don’t collapse my artery,” she told Jaspar with a smile, glancing at the professor as she continued to explain what to do. She could find her own pulse pretty easily, and she didn’t think she’d have as much trouble as Jaspar, but she was a good student, so she made sure to pay attention.

Jaspar Travars [ Bellefeuille ]
509 Posts  •  16  •  played by Samm
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 03:42:47 AM »
Jaspar watched as she demonstrated on her own arm, his eyes following her index and middle finger closer, and then he took a breath. He let go of his partner's arm and tried to remain calm. The Belle wasn't as specific as some of his classmates but he did hate when he got things wrong over and over. He was close to being discouraged if it was another class he might have been by now, but there was something about the way Professor Bellantoni taught them that helped him from becoming disappointed too quickly. She never berated them for stupid questions or making mistakes, just showed them again, she had the patience of a saint really.

Nervously he pushed out a chuckle at Gabrielle's words, trying to be friendly, and responded. "I will try, but no promises."

"Okay, I see," he said softly as he turned one of his hands up toward the ceiling and then used his other to search for a pulse. He copied what she had done with her two fingers and pressed lightly against his own wrist. He didn't feel anything gat first... but then he felt something. He trailed a little further up his wrist, not far, but maybe a fingertip or two from where he had been practicing on Gabby's wrist and smiled brightly.

"Found it!" He said, feeling it beating steadily, maybe a little faster than normal because of his nerves, but there it was. He turned to look back at the professor and held his wrist toward her, his fingers still on it, somehow trying to show her.

Filomena Bellantoni [ Board Mod ]
30 Posts  •  86  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Olivia
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 03:59:52 AM »
She winked congenially at Signorina Delacour’s lighthearted comment. No real harm would come from too much pressure applied in this exercise – unless it was applied for more than several minutes continuously, which was highly unlikely given the circumstances.

For Signorino Travars, she had an encouraging smile.
“Take your time – find your landmarks and go from there.”
As it was, they didn’t have to wait long – he was a quick learner, and perceptive.

“Found it!”

Filomena beamed at his obvious excitement.
“May I?” she asked, making a mental note of where his fingers had been before gently replacing them with her own. Immediately she felt the soft thrum she’d been anticipating. “Indeed you have, well done!”

Turning to the silvery-blonde, Mina addressed her next.
“Signorina Delacour – after Signorino Travars has located your radial pulse, would you care to show me how you might find his carotid pulse? Unless you would prefer to attempt radial as well, of course.”
|| pinterest ||

come, stop your crying, it will be alright
just take my hand, hold it tight
I will protect you from all around you
I will be here, don't you cry

Léon Lachapelle [ Papillonlisse ]
78 Posts  •  Seventeen  •  Yes  •  played by Mel
  • "Are you wearing space pants? 'cause your ass is out of this world."
  • Trophy Closet always a good idea Beauxbatons Quidditch Cup (2002-2003) - Papillonlisse Beauxbatons Quidditch Cup (2001-2002) - Papillonlisse Keep cute and kitty on~? Completing a beautification student service thread Halfblood Character
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 04:20:32 AM »
Léon may or may not have joined Études Médicales for the wrong reasons but the professor was at least very nice and though he probably should have spent more time paying more attention to what was going on rather than all the pretty girls in the class, he figured that as long as he did the work, it would pay off in the end. He would have made the effort to pair up with one of the girls if the boy sitting next to him, whatever his name was, hadn’t asked to be matched up immediately. He had sighed a little, hoping that he would catch a hint but naturally, he had not. Of course, when it was time for them to do something, his partner had to go to the bathroom.

“Seriously?” he muttered, giving him a wry smile before he walked over to Gabrielle and Jaspar. How in the world had thought of that pairing? Either way, he listened on, trying to figure out what exactly they were supposed to be doing before his partner came back. “Good job, Travars,” he patted his shoulder in congratulations before giving him a thumbs up. After Professor Bellantoni confirmed Jaspar’s findings and went on to suggest that either one of them try for the carotid pulse, he chimed in immediately. 

“Oh, may I, may I?” he asked raising his hand but did not wait for an answer before squeezing himself between the two before turning back to Jaspar, “I know where that is, the carotid pulse, plus my partner’s gone, seems unfair not to let me try it out, yeah?” he suggested, looking over at Professor Bellantoni for confirmation.

Gabrielle Delacour [ Papillonlisse ]
603 Posts  •  SIXTEEN  •  fairly hetero ~  •  played by EVIE
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 04:38:14 AM »
Gabby smiled at the wink she received. She was a good student, and she enjoyed being liked by her professors. She watched their exchange with mild interest. She’d already done this stuff, pulses at the wrist, pulses at the neck. But it would be rude not to pay attention, even if she quietly thought Jaspar was a little slow sometimes.

When the time came, she held her arm out for Jaspar, ready for him to paw her forearm again. She didn’t think she’d have trouble finding his carotid pulse afterward, either. “Of course, professor,” she said, but neither of them got a chance to do anything before Léon butted in. She raised her eyebrows a little as their eyes met. "Sure, Léon," she said gracefully, glancing at the professor to make sure she wasn't speaking over the woman. "You can show us where Jaspar's carotid pulse is?" She resisted the urge to quirk an eyebrow.

Léon Lachapelle [ Papillonlisse ]
78 Posts  •  Seventeen  •  Yes  •  played by Mel
  • "Are you wearing space pants? 'cause your ass is out of this world."
  • Trophy Closet always a good idea Beauxbatons Quidditch Cup (2002-2003) - Papillonlisse Beauxbatons Quidditch Cup (2001-2002) - Papillonlisse Keep cute and kitty on~? Completing a beautification student service thread Halfblood Character
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 04:56:47 AM »
Léon’s initial excitement dissipated when Gabrielle suggested that he feel up Jaspar, instead of her. Well, not feel up exactly but at least he had paid attention to that bit of the lesson to know that he didn’t really want his hands anywhere near Jaspar’s neck as much as he wanted them on Gabby’s. But he figured she was playing hard to get and enjoyed the challenge, maybe he had been wrong about her, maybe she did like him even if just a little. He would have to impress her, probably with his brain considering that his good looks were really not getting him anywhere. He grinned nervously, turning back to Professor Bellantoni for advice, “I feel as if I am being picked on,” he claimed, “plus what about what Jaspar wants, Gabby, did you ask him if he’s alright with that?” he added, trying to pretend to be much more honorable than his intentions truly were. But it was obvious that everyone else could probably see right through it.

“Professor, it is not true that the carotid arteries in women are much smaller than they are in men?” he asked suddenly, “If that’s so, it only seems appropriate to try to find both Jaspar and Gabby’s, for the sake of being factual,” he added with a grin, somehow hoping that the random bit of knowledge he had read somewhere, hopefully correctly, would work in his favor somehow. He waited for the Professor to assert his idea before making a move though.

Lijsbeth Westbroek [ Bellefeuille ]
9 Posts  •  16  •  played by Carys
  • A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.
  • Trophy Closet Beauxbatons House Cup (2000-2001) - Bellefeuille Won 1st Place in the Beginner Level of the Pegasus Derby! Sapphire Unicorn Amethyst Matryoshka
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 11:04:09 PM »
Lijsbeth was seated near the back of the classroom, keeping quiet and making notes as she had been all lesson. This was one of her favourite classes, particularly when Healer Bellantoni brought her little dog along. It was calming to watch the terrier sleeping beside the desk, and the girl was fond of both the dog and the old witch. That in itself was a source of worry, though. What if something happened to her and she wasn't able to teach any more? Who would they find who was as good as her...what if she had a poor professeur next year, right when she was studying for her OWLs? Lijsbeth bit her lip and stayed quiet, knowing better than to voice these thoughts aloud. Everyone always reassured her that everything would turn out fine, anyway.

The first rule of trauma...the fifth year wrote down her own response in a careful hand, not feeling the need to speak out at this stage.  Assess the situation. Check for possible danger to yourself and the patient. Call for help and assess the patient's condition. Administer immediate assistance as necessary and... Lijsbeth was getting ahead of herself, and she paused again to listen, quietly feeling a thrill of relief that she'd got everything correct. She continued with her notes, not wanting the interruption of stopping to speak as she wrote out the protocol, the places to check for a pulse (here she paused briefly and placed her fingers to her own neck, as if to reassure herself that the answer was right) and then non-visible signs of trauma. Spell damage, internal injuries, concussion...

She glanced around the room briefly when they were told to work with partners, before remembering that in an emergency one didn't get to pick one's patient. “Would you like to work with me?” she asked the closest student who didn't appear to already be paired up. They agreed immediately, though Lijsbeth was a little disappointed that it was to be her who was the patient first. She preferred to prove herself immediately. But her partner was keen, and managed to find her pulse on only the second attempt and with only a little guidance. The tourniquet, though...Lijsbeth pressed her lips together, thinking this wasn't the best thing to be a patient for. She knew the value of such a technique and had indeed used one to save the life of a squirrel with a badly broken leg she's found the previous summer, but already her arm was beginning to go numb. At the words “I”m going to splint your leg, now” the girl felt a twinge of alarm.

“Healer Bellantoni, would you check our progress, please?” she asked, trying to sound calm and pleasant “I'd prefer this tourniquet wasn't left on my arm for much longer...”

Filomena Bellantoni [ Board Mod ]
30 Posts  •  86  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Olivia
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 08:31:05 PM »
Filomena was surprised to see Signorino Lachapelle (the current one, as it were, for she had taught at least one of his older brothers as well) seemingly materialize and congratulate his classmate. She was just about to inquire as to why he was spectating and not practicing with his own partner, but the Quidditch Captain answered it in his next breath.

“I know where that is, the carotid pulse, plus my partner’s gone, seems unfair not to let me try it out, yeah?”

Filomena sighed internally. The elderly witch generally welcomed enthusiastic participation – but she also had heard about (and taught) the youngest Lachapelle enough to suspect that this particular motivation stemmed from more than just an interest for the subject. He had earned good marks, certainly, but seemed to be more than a bit vain; on more than one occasion she’d caught him staring at a select few of the young women in the class instead of the task at hand, and seemed to be the type who often checked to make sure people were watching after he said or did something.

Mina didn’t like to judge, but she did have a keen eye for observing – it was a large percentage of her job, after all. In any case, she was not particularly inclined to grant his rather pushy request; it would only serve to ‘reward’ less-than-professional behavior.

Before she could respond Signorina Delacour interjected smoothly, and the younger Lachapelle rejoined with a comment on a lack of fairness. Filomena managed to keep an impassive expression, but she did raise an eyebrow slightly at the Papillonlisse boy as he plowed on.

“Let us be mindful to respect everyone’s learning,” she replied, though not unkindly. “Thank you for your enthusiasm, Signorino Lachapelle, but Signorina Delacour has already agreed to demonstrate for us.”

But the Quidditch Captain wasn’t done, it seemed.

“You are correct about the size differential, in that women’s carotid arteries tend to be narrower – that is, have a smaller diameter – than those of men,” she allowed, “but for the purposes of pulse-taking, this is not significant.”
He did have a point about needing to take pulses on different people, however – but she was not fond of his apparent eagerness to lay hands on his female counterpart. That would not do at all, and she would make that crystal clear; Mina was notoriously not above deducting House points.
“What is significant, however, is that the anatomy varies from person to person. As we discovered with locating the radial artery, we can generally expect where to find a particular structure, but it is not always exactly accurate. But the more important take-away this lesson is to lay the basic groundwork; repetition and moving onto more difficult examples will come later.”

Just then, one of her Bellefeuilles hailed her from a few pairs over.
“Certainly, Signorina Westbroek, I shall be right with you,” the Healer replied, before turning back to the trio briefly.

“I will leave you to decide respectfully amongst yourselves – bearing in mind that one must always ask for consent before initiating physical contact of any type with another.” She glanced at each of them in turn so as not to seem as though she was singling anyone out, though her gaze left the Papillonlisse boy last. Respect was something she took very seriously. “Any questions or problems, simply wave me back over.”

With a nod, she ambled over to Signorina Westbroek and her partner, making a quick assessment of the tourniquet on the Fifth Year’s arm.
“This looks nice – though keep in mind that you may need to place it even higher, depending on where the injury is,” she commented. “Remember to hold tension on the fabric as you make your square-knot.” But when the student acknowledged and made to move onto the splint, leaving the tourniquet in place, Mina raised a finger.
“Be sure to remove a tourniquet as quickly as possible in practice situations such as these to avoid causing our classmates undue discomfort.” She gave the Bellefeuille a small knowing smile, hands now clasped gently in front of her, then glanced between the two students.

“Did either of you have particular questions, otherwise?”
|| pinterest ||

come, stop your crying, it will be alright
just take my hand, hold it tight
I will protect you from all around you
I will be here, don't you cry

Tags: open 

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!