July 21, 2019, 01:28:14 AM

Author Topic:  [melbourne] dreaming in circles, my mind so misplaced [zach]  (Read 37 times)

Gianna Regan [ Shop Worker ]
986 Posts  •  24  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Taylor
She promised her friends she wasn’t going to take things that didn’t belong to her anymore. Well, the technical term was steal, but she didn’t feel like getting technical about it. Gianna promised a lot of things to people, but, what was that muggle saying again? A leopard never changed its spots or something? Whatever. She thought it was a stupid saying anyway– it wasn’t like leopards could change their spots if they wanted to. This was…. etymology or something like that, which was a fancy word she discovered recently that people actually used. She wasn’t here to think about etymology though, she was here to…

… Actually, she wasn’t sure what she was supposed to be doing here at all. Somewhere at the back of her mind Gianna knew it had to be work-related, because she had no business being in Australia, or more precisely, in Australia during summer.

It was December, it was supposed to be freezing, like the rest of the world, like how it's supposed to be normally. There were rules to these sort of things! Not that it mattered that Gianna really wasn't smart enough to realise weather worked differently on the other side of the world. Her dress inside wasn't bad at all, but she looked just a little ridiculous in her fur coat. Just a little bit. She was just glad it wasn't any hotter. It could get boiling, from what she'd heard, wide-eyed at twenty in a bar full of bragging Irishmen, that it’d get up to the forties in Australia, when this already felt bad enough.

"Blimey," she fanned herself with her right hand—really, an empty gesture in this heat—and hoisted the fur coat onto the crook of her arm of her left, "although I guess I should be saying crikey, since I'm in Australia and all." She couldn't help but smile dopily at her own dumb joke, which she quickly covered with a cough in case anyone happened to hear her. She didn't want to look any crazier than she probably already did.

The portkey placed her in a wizarding village somewhere in Melbourne, that much she knew, and Gia really wasn't a fan of them. She didn't know anyone who was, but the bumpy process made her normally scattered thoughts even more scrambled, and she wished she could reach into her head and put them all in the right order again. The logical thing to do would be to retrace her steps, but she had no idea where the returning portkey was, although now she had an extremely charming mental image of her mother telling her how she should always write things down when she had such horrible memory. Well mother, I always forget to write them down, that's why I'm always in sticky situations like this, so your stupid little piece of advice doesn't work. She yanked the door handle of a seemingly nondescript cafe somewhat savagely, putting an end to the unwelcome thoughts; she was tired of trying to find her way around in this stupid weather and she needed a drink, stat.

Stumbling into the—thankfully cool—cafe, she immediately dumped the heavy coat on the nearest bar stool. She'd definitely need to get that thing properly cleaned when she got home, by someone who actually had a good grasp on cleaning spells that wasn't her. She paused for a second to wonder if all cafes in Australia had bars in them, before deciding nothing really mattered until she got a beer in her. Which was what she ordered. And then happily chugged. Before realising she had no money. Which then brought her back to the first thought she had when she landed in Australia, ready to hurl from the portkey, about how leopards don't change their spots.

It's been a while since she's done this, and Gia was more than a little worried as she chewed on her bottom lip. But the lunch crowd was picking up, and people were leaving as quickly as they were coming, so this shouldn't be that difficult. Flashing a smile at the bartender, she pointed at the bathroom sign and slid off the stool. She tried to make her slow dawdle to the bathroom look as natural as possible, even reaching down to tie the invisible laces of her boots, but there just wasn't a diverse enough crowd to allow her to be picky. Normally she preferred someone older, and therefore slower, or someone who looked too pretty to be smart as well, and definitely not the tall blonde who was headed towards her. But he seemed to be leaving, and she just saw him put away something that looked like it could contain galleons... He'll just have to do.

With renewed resolve, she squared her shoulders and brushed past him, making just enough contact to reach into coat pocket, but not enough to really bump into and cause him to stop and apologise or whatever. The key was to be quick, so hopefully she'd already be in the female toilets before he realised something was missing, while not breaking eye contact. Gia wasn't as striking as some of her other cousins, but she was pretty enough, by non-Regan standards. She had a fair amount of confidence that he probably wouldn't know what she was really up to and just thought that a pretty girl was flirting with him. Her stomach jolted unpleasantly when she saw a trace of recognition in his eyes, but she quickly brushed that thought away when she felt the weight of the coins in her fingers. She was in Australia, there was no way anyone'd know who she was.

"Excuse me," she smiled at him as she quickly side-stepped him and quickened her pace, half apologetic and half genuinely pleased she hadn't lost her touch. He'd be out of here soon enough without knowing what happened, and she would too, after paying for her drink, and they'll never meet again. There was no way this could go wrong.

@Emily i already told you this was gonna be bad but wow, i'm ashamed of how messy this is and i promise the next one will be better >>

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Hogwarts Anew
Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!