June 01, 2020, 07:31:24 PM

Author Topic:  [mp] come out and play [manon, adèle]  (Read 224 times)

Elisabeth Sturm [ Ombrelune ]
142 Posts  •  17  •  Spargeltarzan  •  played by laura
[mp] come out and play [manon, adèle]
« on: January 20, 2020, 08:39:48 PM »
Hunting for Easter eggs was meant to be serving two purposes: firstly, as a study break, because Elsa thought she had earned as much; and secondly, to add to her savings. They had been told the eggs contained a variety of ‘surprises’ inside; some had flowers, some chocolate, some charmed paper animals, and some money.

Elsa did not get an allowance, she got money (if she was lucky) for her birthday and for Christmas, and it was supposed to last her the entire year. Doing jobs for her Oma over the summer didn’t earn her any extra (she was expected to earn her keep), and she wasn’t able to get an actual job (not that she really wanted one). There was a reason she didn’t spend her money frivolously on Chatoeil weekends like some of her peers.

The students had split off around the palace and grounds in search of the eggs. Elsa had opted to go out into the gardens and look among the neat bushes and topiary. So far, she had found one egg which had contained chocolate -- she had kept that.

The German witch moved along the manicured path slowly, eyes scanning the way ahead until she spotted another pastel-hued egg. She bent to pick it up and tried to test the weight of it in her hands. It was the size of a bludger, and pale pink in a sort of hydro-dipped effect with lighter and darker swirls across the surface. With no finesse whatsoever, Elsa dropped it to the ground to let it crack open.

She crouched, peeled back one half of the shell, and grimaced. As she stood she held the flower crown that had been inside by one finger, looking wholly unimpressed. It was very pretty, of course -- made entirely from fresh flowers -- but it wasn’t cold, hard cash. Elsa saw someone move to her left out of the corner of her eye and turned to look at Manon. “Do you want this?” she asked, flinging it at her over the low hedge separating them.

@Manon Bernard @Adèle Appel
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:47:49 PM by Laura »

i ' m   t h e   p o w d e r ,   y o u ' r e   t h e   f u s e

Adèle Appel [ Bellefeuille ]
474 Posts  •  17  •  Heterosexual  •  played by Olivia
Re: [mp] come out and play [manon, adèle]
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 02:42:13 AM »
A short distance ahead of her two scavenging companions, Adèle hummed cheerily to herself as she got down on all fours to wriggle underneath a shrub in search of an egg. The outdoorsy teenager had no qualms with dirt in the slightest, which was maybe part of the reason she’d been as successful as she had so far today. Most people seemed to prefer the low-hanging fruit, so to speak; they didn’t really look much lower than waist-high (unless it was on unobscured ground), or higher than eye-level. She, on the other hand, eagerly delved under bushes and scurried up trees to check the more obscure hiding places.

This time she seemed to have come up empty, but that was no matter – plenty more shrubs to check. Just then her gaze alighted on a rounded shape in the hollow of a nearby tree. She bounded over as though she were a deer and not a teenage girl, lifted herself up into the branches, reached into the hollow, and withdrew a lovely pastel pink egg with golden flecks, a bit smaller than her closed fist. Pocketing it for safekeeping, she swung herself down lithely from the tree and waited until she was firmly on the ground before opening it. Inside was an origami robin: it unfurled its wings, flew a few circles above her head, and came to rest on her shoulder.

Delighted, Adèle made her way back to her friends just in time to see a lovely flower crown sailing over a low hedge, accompanied by Elsa’s voice. She opened her mouth to answer the question (yes of course she wanted it!) but snapped it shut again before a word escaped her, when she belatedly realized it was directed at Manon. Adèle turned back to her search, one ear open in case her Papillonlisse friend declined the offering.

“How’s it going?” she asked the pair of them, holding a finger under the breast of her paper robin to see if it would step onto it like a real bird. “We could try down by the beach, there’s lots of driftwood there that might be a good hiding place for some bigger eggs.”
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:53:27 AM by Olivia »
|| pinterest | Anni '19 ||

and at last I see the light, and it's like a fog has lifted
and at last I see the light, and it's like the sky is new
and it's warm and real and bright; and the world has somehow shifted

Manon Bernard [ Papillonlisse ]
93 Posts  •  17  •  Homosexual  •  played by Emily
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 07:31:47 AM »
If she tried to look for eggs it would become a whole thing, and she’d have to find the most eggs with the best prizes and be crowned as the Queen of Easter in front of everyone probably, so Manon had decided against putting herself through that. She’d never been a great risk-taker, and a great many things were, to her, risks. When she was younger she might have been more willing to let the possibility of sickles and paper rabbits win out over the possibility of stress and embarrassment, but she’d started putting more value in her peace of mind lately. Watching would be fine. Someone would leave their rabbit out in the common room for her to look at later, surely. If she wanted to put off studying for her O.W.L.s she could probably learn to make her own. It could be worth trying to get into origami.

There was a whump across the hedge and Manon poked her head over to watch Elsa Sturm inspect the egg she’d thrown on the ground to crack. Sort of a pity, really. Manon preferred pretty things that weren’t made to break. She sort of understood the beauty of impermanence, but not enough to really get behind it as a concept.

Elsa made a face at the flowers she’d recovered from her egg. Manon snorted softly. She’d had some hope after they’d looked for dresses for the ball last winter, but Elsa was still a beater at heart. (Also sort of a pity, really.)

The other girl asked if she’d like the flowers—a crown, actually, it looked like. Manon nodded rapidly. “Oh, yeah. Sure.”

As she firmly secured the crown in her hair, Adèle joined them. She’d been at this a little longer, carrying a paper-folded bird that Manon watched flit about with interest. She proposed they look down at the beach. “Sure,” said Manon again. Manon, of course, would have preferred anywhere to the beach, but who was she to ruin plans with friends?

As the other two turned to move on, Manon gestured impulsively at Elsa’s broken egg. “Do you mind if I keep this too?” Manon sat on her heels and drew her wand. “Reparo,” she said quietly. The painted eggshell shards reformed into their delicate shape, now empty. The egg was huge—but not huge enough to fit the crown that had been inside, of course.

She picked it up and tucked it under her chest, feeling sort of silly. “I just think they’re neat—did either of you find anything else?”

t h e  w o m a n  a b s o r b e d  /  t h e  w o m a n  u n d e r  t y r a n n y

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 03:16:41 AM »
Elsa smiled as Manon accepted the crown, giving her a curt nod as if to say you’re welcome without having to make a big deal about it. Adèle joined them and the Ombrelune looked in the vague direction of the beach from where they were in the gardens. It didn’t look like many people had thought to go down there (yet), so maybe Adèle was onto something.

“Do you think the bigger ones will have money, or the smaller ones? Or do you think the patterns on the outside come into it too?” Elsa mused aloud; “Like, hide the most value in something that looks less impressive,” she shrugged. Seemed entirely possible. All the larger eggs she had found so far had had rather useless trinkets in them. Her eyes scanned from Adèle’s paper bird to Manon’s newly-gifted flower crown and a faint sense of missing-out overcame her. She resolved to (attempt to) embrace the next girly thing she uncovered.

Manon asked about the shell of Elsa’s cracked egg and the beater shrugged again. “Yeah.” She hadn’t planned on keeping the remnants, but as the Papillonlisse repaired the egg Elsa looked at it with a different view -- they were pretty on their own, she supposed, on top of their purpose of containing treasures.

“Just chocolate so far,” the German admitted, beginning to walk again, now heading (slowly) towards the beach through the garden. “What about you?” She paused and withdrew a small yellow egg from within the bush beside her and crushed it in the palm of her hand, smiling at the sight of shiny coins inside. She turned and opened her palm out to the others to show them.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 04:53:09 AM »
“Ooh, those are lovely with your hair!” Adèle gushed as Manon secured Elsa’s proffered flower crown. She hoped her future eggs would hold something similar; but if not, it was no great matter, for she knew how to weave her own.

“Do you think the bigger ones will have money, or the smaller ones? Or do you think the patterns on the outside come into it too?”

The brunette frowned as she considered this.
“Hmm. Isn’t there a saying along the lines of: ‘big things come in small packages’?”
She had to admit, the prospect hadn’t occurred to her until Elsa had voiced it just now. But now that she had, Adèle thought, a little extra pocket money might not be such a bad thing to keep an extra eye out for…
“Maybe,” she agreed at the supposition that the money might be hidden in more nondescript eggs.

Adèle waited patiently as Manon paused to repair the shattered egg, unable to hide a smile as the painted shell sprung back together neatly. They really were lovely.

“Did you want to put it into my bag so you don’t have to carry it, Manon?” Adèle offered brightly, untying the small satchel that had been secured around her waist, opening up the drawstring, and holding it out to her friend to make her deposit (if she so chose). There was limited space in the bag, of course, but she supposed they could always put a Shrinking Charm on the larger things and restore them back to their original size once they had finished scavenging for the day.

“Did either of you find anything else?”

“Some chocolates, two Knuts, and now this little one” – she gestured to the paper robin as the trio moved off towards the beach – “so far.”

At that moment a soft crunch met her ears, and she glanced over to see Elsa’s wide smile and the glint of coins in her palm. Adèle laughed.
“Good find! I’d say you’ve got your answer.”

They arrived on the beach just a few minutes later, and Adèle’s keen eye spotted a hint of brilliant blue-green shell peeking through a gap in a driftwood log lying perhaps twenty feet from where they stood. Eagerly she skipped towards it, her bag swinging gently at her side, and plucked it from its hiding place. Inside was an equally vibrant length of ribbon of the same color, which she proudly presented to her scavenging comrades. It was a lovely thing, but she didn’t often wear ribbons in her hair; if she couldn’t think of an alternative use for it, perhaps she’d gift it to Elsa or Manon.

As she’d turned to show her friends, a sliver of orange in the tall dune grass just behind them caught her attention. Not wanting to seem greedy or overeager, she pointed to the clump of grass.
“I think there might be one in there, have a look!”
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:01:46 AM by Olivia »

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 03:20:43 AM »
Manon beamed, awkwardly nodding in thanks as Adèle gushed about the crown. “I just expected it to be random,” she replied to Elsa’s question. She hadn’t even considered that there would be a game to this at all, but now that Elsa had brought it up it felt likely. “Big ones are too easy to find to be worth much, I think,” she said. “Or ones that are bright colors. They’d want us to work for it.”

Adèle opened her bag to offer her a spot for the empty egg, but Manon shook her head. “Oh, I think I’ll carry it if that’s okay.”. She hated to refuse offers, but the bag of an excitable witch felt like a bad place for an eggshell the size of a football. “Can’t let it break again,” she added with a chuckle.

As they approached the beach Adèle skipped forward and unearthed an egg from under a log. Manon reached out a hand to admire the wide, silky ribbon it produced. “I could try to put it in your hair if you like,” she offered. “A braid, or something fun.” She’d put some effort as a preteen into learning unreasonably complicated hairstyles (as if she’d braid a crown into her hair for school every day). Of course, her own hair and her sister’s were very different than Adèle’s—but she felt she could give it a shot. “Unless you’re saving it for flowers, I guess.”

There wasn’t time to sit around braiding hair, though, they were on a mission to find Elsa some cash. If all Adèle had found were a couple knuts Manon didn’t imagine she’d be in much luck—but she was quickly proven wrong when she heard a crunch and a triumphant noise from Elsa. “How much is that?” she asked with interest. Maybe it would be worth keeping an eye out.

t h e  w o m a n  a b s o r b e d  /  t h e  w o m a n  u n d e r  t y r a n n y

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 09:28:40 PM »
“Good things,” Elsa corrected Adèle, but the sentiment was right -- higher quality hidden inside something that betrayed the interior. “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover, too,” she added, both seemed like lessons the Professors would want them to learn.

Adèle laughed when Elsa showed her friends her spoils, and the German witch smiled (perhaps a little smugly). “Five sickles,” she answered Manon, flashing her the silver coins. It briefly occurred to her that she could offer to split her winnings -- they all could -- but pocketing the money she found was a more appealing prospect, and who was to say the other two wouldn’t try and inflate the value of a flower crown relative to actual money?

They reached the beach and Adèle shot off towards a bit of driftwood. She turned a moment later to reveal a length of ribbon. Elsa smiled, again, not as forced as she thought she might have had to, and turned her attention back to searching.

The Bellefeuille pointed out another egg, Elsa looked to Manon first to see if the Papillonlisse would go for it, but Elsa was closer. She stepped over the dune and crouched into the tall grass with the orange-and-peach swirled egg -- contemplated smashing it here so she could hide the contents if need be, but Adèle had technically spotted it. She sighed to herself and emerged back onto the beach to present it to the other two for smashing; “We can split this one.”
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:29:50 PM by Laura »

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 05:13:07 PM »
While Elsa moved off to retrieve the egg Adèle had spotted, Manon wordlessly asked to hold the ribbon and Adèle happily handed it over.

“I could try to put it in your hair if you like. A braid, or something fun.”

Despite the fact that Adèle had acknowledged to herself just seconds ago that she didn’t usually wear ribbons in her hair, she reconsidered: Manon’s kind offer was suddenly very tempting. It was at least worth a try, right? For the moment, her curly hair was loose and unbound; but it was a force to be reckoned with, even for experienced hands. But at the same time she felt bad turning down the offer, because it wasn’t like she didn’t want it…

She beamed at her friend, caving to her curiosity – but feeling the slightest twinge of selfishness as she did so.
“I’d love that, thank you!”

Just then Elsa returned with the newest prize, and Adèle was surprised to see it unbroken. Her gaze flitted from Elsa’s face, to the egg, then to Manon. Adèle realized the Papillonlisse hadn’t opened an egg recently.

“Would you like to do the honors, Manon?” she asked, nodding towards the egg in Elsa’s outstretched hand. “I spotted it, Elsa got it, you open it.” She grinned, shrugging her small shoulders. Who said egg hunts couldn’t be team efforts, too?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 05:13:25 PM by Olivia »

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 09:57:14 PM »
“Here,” said Manon, motioning for the ribbon. “I can try something better later—I just think it’s so pretty.” She stood in front of Adèle (who was just a little shorter than she was, thank goodness) and gently threaded the ribbon under her curls to tie it as a headband. She tilted the bow to one side after a second. “It’s not that bad, though,” she said. “Cute.”

She hadn’t done anything like this with her own hair in a while. Maybe she should. 

Adèle offered to let her break the next egg. “Oh, no, there’s no need—” started Manon quickly. “I’m just tagging along.” She truly hadn’t intended to end up on an actual hunting expedition. She probably shouldn’t have spoken to Elsa if that had been the plan, though—nor Adèle. There was nothing about Elisabeth Sturm that wasn’t intense, and nothing about Adèle Appel that wasn’t welcoming.

She took the egg and shook it, and neither heard nor felt a thing—was it empty or just magic? Manon pulled it away from her ear and for a second just looked at it, unsure how to break it without the rim of a bowl.

Propping up her foot on a log, she brought down the egg on the sharpest part of her kneecap and split it open. Three gold galleons tumbled onto the sand, and Manon bent down to gather them. “One each, do you think?” she asked after blowing off the sand, holding them out in her palm.

“You can have mine,” she said to Elsa, more quietly. She traced a fingertip along a petal near her temple. “Payback, you know?”

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!