June 01, 2020, 08:28:24 PM

Author Topic:  cheer up • {shelby}  (Read 111 times)

Hazel So [ Slytherin ]
97 Posts  •  12  •  played by Mickie
  • sorry for the mean, awful, accurate things i said
  • Trophy Closet Thread of the Month Winner
cheer up • {shelby}
« on: April 20, 2020, 03:41:47 AM »
Somehow, in spite of everything that had transpired an hour ago, she was feeling a little better – definitely not at one hundred percent, still in recovery from the sheer embarrassment she’d just experienced, but decent enough to convince herself to participate in the last bit of end of term activities. After Tomie’s help, she’d returned to the dungeons and did a complete restart of the getting ready process. She supposed she appreciated the effort the Gryffindor had put in… somewhat, but, after a bit of thought, decided that she’d rather risk being known as Howling Hazel than Saggy Shorts So. Another bath, a change of clothes (black instead of baby blue plaid was now the only option), and a ponytail later, she was ready to go.

It all seemed so simple. She felt very refreshed after everything, and even her cramps had started to dull. However, on the grounds, she walked past a group of boys, then a group of upperclassmen, and this irrational sort of fear started to creep up on her. Hazel quickened her pace, disliking this prickly sense of paranoia. The feeling was so foreign to her. She usually enjoyed being the center of attention, but the idea of anyone keeping their eyes on her for too long was pretty unwelcome right now. In the distance, she saw a group of familiar Slytherins and sped up to them.

In the center of her closer circle, Hazel thought it’d be easy to shake off these strange insecurities but she found that she was even more self-conscious. Uncharacteristically, she stayed on the sidelines of conversation, participating here and there and speaking up when there was something she felt strongly about, but the frequency of her contributions vacillated between high and low. There were many pauses where her closest friend asked if she was doing alright. With a weak wave of her hand, she responded lightly to Sienna’s prodding. “I’m good,” she would respond, but it was clear by her friend’s doubtful expression that it was not a sufficient answer. Hazel soon realized that this would not do.

Scoping the grounds, she decided that it couldn’t hurt to get some insight. When she’d found her target, she turned to Sienna. “I’ll be right back,” Hazel said, before stalking off to another group. “You. Shelby Trickett.” She pointed at another girl from Ravenclaw with wavy brown hair. Tomie was nearby but Hazel refused to acknowledge her with even a look, worried that the minute they made eye contact her face would turn red, and everyone would magically know what had happened. “I need your help with something.”
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 04:17:25 PM by Mickie »

t h e s e   w i n g s   w e r e   m a d e   t o   f l y

Shelby Trickett [ Ravenclaw ]
103 Posts  •  Twelve  •  she's twelve!  •  played by Fosse
Re: cheer up • {shelby}
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 07:41:52 AM »
Time was moving too fast. It felt like last week that she had met Tomie and Benny on the train, and only like a few days had passed since Archie got out of the hospital wing. and now the term was ending? It was too soon. There was so much she wanted to learn still - she had even asked the Astronomy professor if there was any summer reading she could do to prep for next year and for taking Divination, to which the professor had laughed, said "Classic Ravenclaw," and sent her off with no homework for the months ahead.

She had pouted for a day or so, but JR had cheered her up with games on the lawn, so she was feeling much better. Well, she still felt like a gangly giant, out of sorts with her body as it suddenly shot upwards, but other than that she was having a good day. Currently, the gang was chattering about the Gravesend Griffins again, a conversation spearheaded by JR and enabled by Tomie. Shelby liked Quidditch, sure, but was not nearly as invested. She was content to sit on the edge of this conversation, listening and laughing at their jokes. Her friends jokes.

"You. Shelby Trickett."

Aw, nuts.

Shelby turned around to see Hazel So. She was tempted to feign idiocy, with a "Who, me?" But Hazel would see through that, she was one of the smartest girls in their year. Shelby glanced sideways at Tomie, as if looking for approval. It was kind of weird that Hazel would approach her with Tomie so close by - Hazel and Tomie seemed to despise each other. Still, technically that animosity didn't extend to Shelby, and technically Hazel wasn't nearly as scary as some of her housemates. Biting her lip, Shelby stood up, shoving her hands into the pockets of her jeans. She didn't like these jeans, they were baggy and uncomfortable, but they were some of the only trousers she had that fit still. "How can I help, Hazel?" She sounded so timid. Why couldn't she be more like a Taurus right now?

Hazel So [ Slytherin ]
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 05:36:22 PM »
Hazel spared a glance at the rest of the group, narrowing her eyes at a select few. “I don’t want to talk here,” she told the other girl, twisting to check their surroundings. An oak tree stood a few paces away. “Let’s go over there.” Away from prying ears, she thought. She supposed if Shelby didn’t want to leave, they could always speak in Korean, but even that made her feel somewhat uneasy. Without waiting, Hazel walked to the tree, hiding beneath the cool shade. She wanted to sit down but she hadn’t brought a blanket, and she refused to place herself on the grass. Her face scrunched up at the thought of getting all of that dirt on her clothes. 

“So,” she said, clasping her hands, “I’ve been… having a string of bad luck lately.” The admittance pained her to make, but it was true! From getting stuck in a haunted house at the beginning of the term, to today’s disaster, she’d already experienced at least four things on her long list of experiences she never wanted to experience ever in life. If only she could get to the bottom of why all of these terrible things were happening to her – then she could properly work on reversing this curse looming over her head.

“Is there anything in one of those charts of yours?” She felt silly asking the question, but at least it was a start. It couldn’t hurt to get some sort of idea what the stars were saying about her, right? Maybe she’d accidentally done something wrong that messed with the alignment of the planets or whatever. She’d heard Shelby mentioning before that Mercury being in pomade could sometimes lead to bad things happening (understandable, seeing as too much pomade often made her own hair look like a greasy mess); this filled Hazel with a surprising sense of relief.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 08:17:33 PM »
Oh. Hazel So wanted to talk to her. Alone. Shelby grabbed the hem of her shirt, twisting it in her fingers. Tomie was still thoroughly engrossed in the Quidditch conversation - no rescue was coming from that front. "Uh, okay," she managed, following the other girl to the big oak tree. It felt silly to be so nervous around Hazel still - after her growth spurt, she stood a full head over the Slytherin girl. Still, height wasn't everything, and she wasn't comfortable with her new stature yet anyway.

She nodded, trying to give off a wise aura instead of the anxiety she felt. So Hazel was having bad luck - what did that have to do with her? Shelby hadn't done anything to Hazel, had she? Shelby bit her lip, trying to think of what curse she might have laid on Hazel accidentally, or what curse Hazel might blame her for. Then Hazel actually asked her question, and suddenly everything made a lot more sense. "Oh!" Hazel was... a Gemini sun if she recalled correctly. She frowned.

"I mean, off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that would be causing that," Shelby began, gazing into the boughs of the tree above them like they would have the answer. "What kind of bad luck is it?" If the other girl was getting bad marks or news, that would be different than if she had broken a bone or something. "And for how long? Has it been going on for? " Nuts - her bag, her notebook with everyone's full charts, plus her guide book, that was all in Ravenclaw Tower. "Um," she looked down, scuffing her runners in the grass, "I'd have to go back to my dorm, to really figure it out, all my notes are there."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 08:18:07 PM by Fosse »

Hazel So [ Slytherin ]
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 02:44:25 AM »
Hazel’s relief dwindled, the corners of her mouth drooping into a disappointed scowl. Shelby was unequipped with an off-the-cuff answer, which must have meant that Mercury was not in pomade, and the source of her problems remained undiscovered. Just great! The Slytherin crossed her arms and wondered if someone really had put her under a curse. What would she do then?! She could imagine Wendy and Sienna encouraging her to find her Prince Charming, a thought that did nothing to cheer her up; if anything, she felt sort of panicked now.

“The worst kind of luck,” she replied dramatically, resting the back of her hand against her forehead.

Hazel had no idea how these things worked. Was she supposed to give Shelby a detailed list of everything she’d dealt with, including exact dates and times to get the most accurate prediction? Was she allowed to be vague? Hazel brought her hand down to the side of her head to rub her temple. Recalling every bad event this year made her want to disappear for life and then reappear solely to accept her position as the Minister for Magic.

Inhaling, she continued on. “I got stuck in a haunted house and I hate them, I humiliated myself in front of the coolest upperclassman in the school, I ended up with horns because of a Transfiguration project, and today I…” She paused. Hazel knew that the tips of her ears were bright red, and was internally chastising herself to switching to a stupid ponytail. “Let’s just say today was almost the worst day of my life, and this stuff has been happening all year, so I’m going to need a reason for all of this.”

She crossed her arms expectantly, resisting the urge to tap her foot as she waited. Her ire rose when Shelby mentioned needing to grab her books (couldn’t she manifest a solution from a leaf or something?!) but Hazel willed herself to remain calm. Despite how she felt, it was not the end of the world, and Shelby could still have answers. “Okay then,” she responded, keeping an even tone. “Let’s go. I’ll wait for you to grab your notes.”

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 11:30:17 PM »

Shelby watched Hazel's body language carefully - Hazel was... upset? Probably? She was frowning, she was crossing her arms, that meant bad. Shelby was better at clueing into people's emotional states than she had been at the start of the year, but it was still more difficult for her to get a read on folks than it seemed to be for everyone else. "O...kay...", she said carefully, not quite sure what to make of the hand-to-forehead-princess-pose thing. Hazel sure did touch her face a lot. Shelby found herself mirroring the other Korean girl's action, one hand resting on her cheek as she nodded.

Haunted house, humiliation, horns - whatever today had brought probably started with an "H" too, just to keep the alliteration scheme going. "That's going back to, what, October?" Shelby asked, trying to remember when the horns thing happened. Hmm. "I think," she began slowly, "that it's probably an outer planet transit?" Ugh, why couldn't she remember? There was a laugh from where she had been sitting before. Shelby glanced over - had JR told a particularly funny joke? She would rather be over there, but it seemed like the universe wanted Shelby to do another task now.

"Oh, okay." Shelby hadn't really expected Hazel to commit to going all the way to Ravenclaw Tower. Did Hazel even know where it was? Shelby started walking that way, glancing over her shoulder to check that Hazel - and just Hazel - was still following. It took a bit but they made it the tower. "I'll, just, be a second," Shelby said, mostly to the empty hallway instead of Hazel. The riddle was easy (what gets longer as the term gets shorter? Daylight) and it didn't take her long to scramble her book and charts out from the top of her trunk. Returning to Hazel, Shelby sat on the floor and spread the books around her. "Right," she felt more confident with books and chart in front of her. "So we're looking for - what? How long you're luck will be like this? Or just the why?"

Hazel So [ Slytherin ]
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 02:16:30 AM »
Although, for the most part, she was still feeling rather impatient, Hazel could feel that wonder creeping up at the idea of heading towards Ravenclaw tower. She still wouldn't be able to enter, unfortunately, but she appreciated the mysterious aspect a little more than she disliked it; Hazel wanted to know exactly what all the common rooms looked like, what secrets they held. Whenever she visited one in this sort of bystander way, she could feel a sense of curious anticipation wash over her.

She nodded when Shelby departed and tilted her head with interest that soon faded back into agitation once she had to wait again. When Shelby returned, Hazel was not so keen about sitting on the ground, so she just stood there with her arms crossed, sort of hovering awkwardly.

“Both, if possible,” she answered, squinting to get a better look at the charts and pages Shelby had scattered across the floor. “What exactly is all this anyway?”

She didn’t quite understand the Ravenclaw’s habit. In some ways, it interested her; it was like a whole different branch of magic. According to Shelby, this stuff could determine your soulmate. Who wouldn’t want to at least test that out? Hazel would be lying if she said she hadn’t attempted to use a Witch Weekly article on astrology to figure out if she and Joey Mowie were a perfect match. But after it had wrongly stated that they were only 5% compatible, she was more inclined to dismiss it all as utter rubbish. Somehow she always ended up feeling curious about it, though, especially since she knew someone who was so knowledgeable on the matter.

She waited for a moment before urging Shelby again. “Well, what’s it saying?”

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 10:42:27 PM »

Hazel, true to form, elected to loom over her. This wouldn't be a problem if they were both standing - Shelby had a good head over the other Korean girl now - but right now it was intimidating and uncomfortable. Still, she had already spread out her gear, so this was just how things were, now. This might as well happen.

"It's, uh," Shelby frowned. It would be easier to explain if Hazel wasn't casting shadows over everything. She took a moment to pull her hair behind her ears, thinking how to explain. "This one," she said, pointing at the flat sheet in front of her, "Is a copy of the chart I made you at the beginning of the term, it has all of your planets as they were when they were born." Oh, this one was embarrassing. She held up the second chart. "I did a chart for the school- like, the castle? I dunno if it works but I thought maybe your luck is a school problem?" That sounded pretty stupid now that she said it out loud.

She scratched the back of her neck and opened one of the books, flipping to the 2003 pages. "This is uh, every day this year and general year-long predictions?" One more book - she opened it to Jupiter, that was her first guess - "This one is an interpretation guide?" There were more charts - she gathered them into a stack and set them aside. "I don't think these will be much use but maybe?" Wow. She sounded like a fool. Shelby glanced up at Hazel briefly, wary of making her upset, then back down to her references.

Hazel had hardly given her a second to begin reading before snapping at her. "I don't know, I'm reading!" Shelby snapped back, realized that she had just lashed out at Hazek Freaking So, and stared at her books trying not to freak out. Reading calmed her down. Jupiter in Leo, Jupiter in Leo.... Something jumped out at her. "Have you been feeling, I dunno, more irritable? Lately?" She stared resolutely at Hazel's chart, finger tapping on her sixth house - Aries, empty. Interesting.

Hazel So [ Slytherin ]
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 07:34:35 PM »
Had Shelby just snapped at her? Hazel raised an eyebrow, mouth twisting into a tiny scowl. “Well read faster,” she countered, tapping her foot. She made a mental note to study harder at Astronomy; this would be much easier if she could pluck the book from Shelby and read over it herself, she thought.  Hazel waited for the girl to finish reading and opened her mouth to rush her again, but Shelby’s question interrupted her. Hazel ruminated on the question momentarily. She supposed, as of today, she had been very emotional, and particularly more irritable than usual.

“Yes,” she answered finally, then, “but what does that have to do with it?” Hazel looked around, wishing she’d thought to bring a blanket behind her. She wanted to take a seat and look over the charts properly. Scanning the area, her gaze fell upon a small lounge area not far off – two sofas tucked away with a small table separating them and a large towering window allowing the light to pour in. “Let’s go over there.” She pointed, and took a step. Then, rethinking, she turned and helped Shelby gather the items. When they arrived at the secluded spot, Hazel spread the charts on the table.

She took a seat and began an immediate examination of everything. Her brow furrowed. “This is harder than hangul.”

Tags:

* Affiliates

Directories & Topsites

RPG Initiative

Static Affiliates

Messiah, an original fantasy

Scrolling Affiliates

HOS
Click here to affiliate with Magical Hogwarts!