Author Topic:  [canada] syrup on a stick [konrad]  (Read 94 times)

Offline Valda Pavlycheva

• "Everyone in Africa can read Swedish."
  • Klyk Vampira
  • I am brave. I am bruised. I am glorious.
  • Trophy Closet This character participated in an AU thread during the 2020 Anniversary celebrations! (Samm's 2019-2020 FPP Diamond Award) "Edyta's graduation award" - Carys' 2019-2020 FPP Sapphire 1 Award This character has started and/or participated in a MP thread! Durmstrang Chip Contest (2001-2002) - Klyk Vampira Thread of the Month Winner Halfblood Character Russia National Team Fan Alla's pet skeleton - Burmin corgi power!!
    • Awards
  • Player Name: Livvy
  • Pronouns: she/her
  • Sexuality: Gio+Val=Valio
[canada] syrup on a stick [konrad]
« on: July 26, 2020, 05:15:24 AM »
He had known she was coming, but the surprise of when she arrived was worth it. Valda had come to visit her dear friend back at home one again. This was only the second time she'd been there, but that didn't bother her. Anders had been so helpful in guiding her to the finish line of the race. She was disappointed to have missed the beginning, but at least she was here to celebrate his ending. Unfortunately, he didn't make first place but she was able to congratulate him on finishing in third. It meant he qulified for the next race! Valda had celebrated his winning and was pleased to see that she had shocked him. She'd gotten all of his dogs a treat and gifted him with a yin-yang bracelet. If anyone in the world need some balance in their lives, Konrad was at the top of the list. It had been a souvenir she'd gotten in China. For Anders, she'd gifted him with a small jade dragon that spun in circles and would sit quietly by his bedside. Valda didn't explain why she'd gotten it for him except she thought of him when she saw it. Dragons were a symbol of emperors. Anders was strong, wise, and very quick to act. Despite all he'd been through, he was going to make a great leader one day.

They'd gone back to his home where he'd done his routine with his dogs. They had some tea and took the time to catch up with each other. During that time, it was decided Konrad would come and travel with her. Anders was old enough to take care of himself. Should he really need something, Konrad was a howler away and he would apparate home as fast as he could.

They were off! They made their first destination to be in Canada. Valda had always wanted to visit the Americas so she was excited to be here. Since the weather was warm and skies were clear and sunny, the concluded the best way to start their trip would be to go to Niagara Falls. Along the way, and even when they were in Sweden, Valda noticed something seemed off about him. He was fidgety and seemingly nervous. Very different from his calm and resound way he carried himself. They were only walking on the grass of the place making their way towards the waterfalls when she decided the cat needed to come out of the bag before they continued on any more.

"Konrad," a gentle hand was placed on his arm as she sought his attention. Naturally, she led him towards one of the waterways that fed the waterfalls. There was railing along the walking path they were on to keep them from going over. The water's rapids roaring at a volume loud enough for them to hear each other, but not for eavesdroppers unless they were to stand directly in front of them. "What's going on with you? You're really tense and have been on-edge since I got to Sweden. If you're worried about Anders, he's going to be just fine. Right now, I'm worried about you. Don't lie to me, please."

@Konrad Lidström
~ Livvy - OOC | Pinterest | Valio | Sandbox | Shipper | Eruda, Russia ~

Offline Konrad Lidström

• Koldovstoretz Adult
  • Trophy Closet This character participated in an AU thread during the 2020 Anniversary celebrations! (Samm's 2019-2020 FPP Diamond Award) Sweden National Team Fan one fish, two fish... Halfblood Character Middle Class Family Member Dom Tigrova Snegvoin Koldovstoretz Deveritch Cup - Tigrova (2001-2002) Keep cute and kitty on~?
    • Awards
  • Player Name: Samm
Re: [canada] syrup on a stick [konrad]
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 01:58:29 AM »
Konrad had been under the impression that things would get less complicated after they had graduated. Sure they would have to deal with bills and getting jobs and all of that but at least there would be no crazy Headmistresses attacking them or an endless swapping of school locations. They could return to Norbotten, and regain some control over their routines.

Konrad had been very wrong.

A few months into what he quickly realized was not a summer break the older of the Lidstrom brothers was approached by a shady figured who took very little time explaining that Konrad and Anders were now on the hook for the debt their father had racked up. He'd been so fixed on finding a way to turn back the time and save their mother from dying in the accident that he had accepted help from all the wrong people. They helped him smuggle out a time turner, but at a price. Konrad learned that their father was supposed to fix bets and help them take care of enemies before they were even a problem. Or at least that he had agreed to doing that, even though it would ruin the timeline. While their dad hadn't actually succeeded in doing any of these promised jobs that didn't mean the mafia he'd become too entangled with just forgave the debt. Instead of telling Anders, Konrad did what he always did, and shouldered the burden alone. He wanted nothing to do with the criminals but more than that he had to keep his younger brother out of it. And it hadn't been easy. He had been coming and going at all hours of the night, being shifty, not answering questions, and he'd be surprised if the smarter of the two Lidstrom wizards hadn't figured out something by now.

Thankfully the race had distracted things and given Konrad something else to think about. He was stuck between the two worlds, and the distraction soon became evident when he performed less than his best during the dog sled race. Placing high enough to continue in the tournament but not winning Konrad tried not to be discouraged by it. He needed a change of pace, needed to get out and away from all of the new "responsibilities" that were smothering him. And like a red haired Angel Valda swooped in and gave him the chance to do just that. A bit of travelling, getting away, it was perfect, and he couldn't say no. The Swedish wizard had rarely been outside of his home country and wherever the schools had been located so the idea of jumping continents was certainly enticing. He worried about Anders, but those were easily calmed.

The two began the trip by heading to Canada, a place he'd heard was a lot like Sweden, which was a comfort. It was chilly, it was clean, and most of all they loved Hockey. Konrad felt like he could fit right in. They headed down the Clifton Hill, a long steep road lined with souvenir shops and hotels that led to the Niagra Falls on the Canadien side. He walked next to her, keeping the same pace easily, but he was quiet. Konrad was always the type to be chatting, joking, smiling at every little thing, but it was clear something was weighing on him now. He'd been considering confiding in Valda for nearly the entire walk but it wasn't until she called him on it that he really planned to. As much as he trusted her and wanted to get her opinion on things, Konrad wasn't big on asking for help or burdening others with his problems. He carried his own weight, it was just his way.

Shrugging he gritted his teeth tightly when she asked at first. But eventually, within moments, his face softened a little and he ran his hand through blond hair. "Well," he really wasn't even sure where to start. There was so much going on and how could he sum up all of it before they reached the end of the hill and the fog and roaring thunder of the falls drowned his problems out? "So I found out something about my dad, about what he was doing before he went to St. Mungo's I mean,"  Valda was acutely aware of the Lidstom's situation, just as Konrad was of hers. Whether he'd told her or Sasha had filled in details over the years Konrad assumed she knew the story about how his mother had died in a car accident on the way to Anders' birthday celebration and their father had driven himself mad playing with time magic trying to undo it. So he skipped over all of that and continued, "I guess he didn't get the timeturner through work, but by making a deal with some... well, some bad guys." It felt so comical to call them mafia because was that even really a thing anymore? Clearly it was, but Konrad's life had been so pleasant and lawful he'd never really thought it was until now.

"Turns out they still want his payment, and well it's not like he can make good on the deals he made... so now they want us to." Us being Konrad and Anders, but the wizard was quick to add one final detail before giving her a moment to process. "But I haven't told Anders, or anyone really, he doesn't need to know about this."

Offline Valda Pavlycheva

• Klyk Vampira
  • Trophy Closet This character participated in an AU thread during the 2020 Anniversary celebrations! (Samm's 2019-2020 FPP Diamond Award) "Edyta's graduation award" - Carys' 2019-2020 FPP Sapphire 1 Award This character has started and/or participated in a MP thread! Durmstrang Chip Contest (2001-2002) - Klyk Vampira Thread of the Month Winner Halfblood Character Russia National Team Fan Alla's pet skeleton - Burmin corgi power!!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 09:15:06 PM »
Immediately she sensed she had approached a touchy subject. Valda had never poked and proded too much at his situation- not directly to him. She had questioned Sasha about the particulars of his mother's passing and the status of his father, but Aleksandr was already a very private person. He never shared much about his personally life, which meant he would barely speak details of others'. After bombarding her father with an endless stream of questions, she'd managed to learn enough. The "bad guys" as he had put it, was an entire new subject on its own. Were they actual mafia members?

A hand covered her mouth as her eyes grew wide at the news. Such news had never been heard of! Only in stories and movies did she ever come across this kind of plot. Her heart ached for the young man. How much worse could it get for him? From her own experiences, Valda was too familiar with things getting worse when she thought they couldn't. Slowly, she'd been able to rebound and grow. How was Konrad going to get out of this one?

Quietly she listened. When he was done, her hand rested on the railing beside them while the other sat on her hip. She stared into the roaring rapids as her eyebrows furrowed together and she bit her bottom lip lightly in thought. Aiding him would mean she'd be getting involved with this group somehow. That could backfire on her in the future. Konrad was her friend though and she was not the kind of person to let someone suffer alone. "Anders doesn't know," she confirmed with a slow nod. "Hmm.." Her mind raced to figure out a plan. "Let's keep Anders out of it. We don't need more people involved than necessary."

She straightened up to look back at him, but not before glancing around to see if anyone was watching them. If the mafia wanted a debt paid, they were sure to keep a close eye on him. For him to leave the country could raise some red flags. "Perhaps after Canada, we'll go back to Sweden so they don't think you ran away. That'll be a sure way for it to fall onto Anders. You gotta let them see you're going to do the work. What exactly is the debt? Is it money? Just doing jobs for them? What do you need? How can I help?"

Offline Konrad Lidström

• Koldovstoretz Adult
  • Trophy Closet This character participated in an AU thread during the 2020 Anniversary celebrations! (Samm's 2019-2020 FPP Diamond Award) Sweden National Team Fan one fish, two fish... Halfblood Character Middle Class Family Member Dom Tigrova Snegvoin Koldovstoretz Deveritch Cup - Tigrova (2001-2002) Keep cute and kitty on~?
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 01:42:24 AM »
The distant roar of the falls provided a strange sense of comfort to Konrad. It was like seclusion, despite the amount of visitors moving around them. Konrad leaned against the railing after he'd finished telling her his story and felt a sigh of relief building up. He'd been drifting with this weight on his shoulder, treading water, but now he had a lifejacket. Valda was a trusted friend, one of his dearest, and sharing his burden with her (though he didn't want her to get involved) was comforting. It was nice just to say it out loud, even if he didn't really want her to try to help him. Scared she might get caught up in it Konrad shrugged at her next words.

"Well, they know I'm here," he told her softly even as the thunder of the water surrounded them. Chewing on his lip a little he felt ashamed to say it out loud now. Guilty that he hadn't told her sooner. There was a big difference between hiding it and waiting for the right moment to tell her though, and the wizard tried to hide behind that idea. "They've got a job for me in Buffalo," Saying it out loud made him grimace but Konrad was quick to follow-up.

"Nothing dangerous, nothing that will lead back to you, I've just got to pop over there tomorrow afternoon, grab a package, bring it home," It sounded simple enough and Konrad was foolish enough to think it would be. He was gullible, trusted easily, and despite the hardships he'd been through he had very little street smarts when it came to this sort of thing. The small village he'd grown up in had been nearly crime free, he had no idea how these sorts of things worked, how dark organizations operated, or that he was well on his way to becoming cannonfodder.

He paused for a moment, still chewing on his lip, and then spoke, "Are you mad at me?"

Offline Valda Pavlycheva

• Klyk Vampira
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 09:09:02 AM »
Valda felt her shoulders tense at his news. Did he come with her for the adventure or the package? This would have been some news she'd like to have learned before they crossed the ocean. The longer she looked at the Swede and listened to his words, the more real this situation became. Whether he had intended to or not, she was going to be rubbing shoulders with these bad men. When she questioned why he had kept this from her for so long, she could only come to the conclusion that she, too, would have preferred to keep it all secret from those she cared for most so she could protect them. Valda wanted to be mad, but she couldn't bring herself to express that emotion.

"No, I'm not mad. You were only trying to protect me. I would have done the same." She patted him on the arm in a beckoning way to get him to follow her towards the falls. "I know you wanted to keep me out of it, but if these guys are as serious as you say they are, I can't avoid them. When they find out I know they exist and that you're in kahoots with them, I'm almost certain they'll contact me as well. It's how it always goes in the movies and books." It was a lot to process at once. Mentally, she was still analyzing his situation and working to recover from the initial shock of the news.

"Don't worry about me. I'm Valda! I've talked with the dead, traversed the great wilds of Russia, visited Transylvania, and I've gotten into a fist fight and almost one. I'll be okay. Let them come to me. I don't really have anyone else to protect except for you, Sasha, and Anders. Of course I have my friends in Transylvania, but they're fighting their own battles at home. No need to drag them into all of this." Even though the water was loud beside them, it wasn't strong enough to muffle her words. Slowly as they followed the path, they would eventually lead away from the water's edge and would arrive to platforms that jutted out over the cliffs.

"I am worried about you. How long have you been....involved? You said you now have to pay off your father's debt? Do you need money in order to break ties with them?"

Offline Konrad Lidström

• Koldovstoretz Adult
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 07:16:49 PM »
"I don't know if it is really gonna' be how it is in the movies," Konrad said with a frown, his face scrunching together a bit. "Like they haven't asked me to do anything super illegal, just pick something up and bring it to them," Of course, Konrad didn't know what exactly he was picking it up, but the fact that it couldn't be sent by Owl Mail or charmed to Europe should have been a red flag.

He knew she was trying to make light of everything, and he knew she was as brave as they come, but Konrad couldn't help but feel like this conversation was only the tip of an iceberg. Konrad wished he hadn't told her because of how good of a friend she was being. He didn't want her to have any part in the drama he had found himself weaved up into. It could be dangerous, and he didn't want to be responsible for her too. It was hard enough worrying about Anders every day. Now he'd have to worry about her also. It didn't matter that she could hold her own in a fight, or that she was a lot smarter than he was, Konrad would still worry.

"It's not really about the money with these guys," He jerked his head from her eyes and toward the roaring falls below them. Sighing once more, Konrad avoided half of her questions on purpose and hoped she wouldn't notice. "My dad was supposed to help them acquire something, but he didn't, and that is the debt I'm paying off." Konrad wasn't the brightest wizard, but he wasn't stupid either. He had realized that the people he was now working for hadn't mentioned an end date, or how the debt was paid in full, and he knew that wasn't a good sign.

"Lets just, can we walk?" He knew she wouldn't let the topic go so quickly, but Konrad felt like he was being crushed under the waterfall. Like all of the air was moving from his lungs, and he had to clear his mind.

Tags: